• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I will be so stoked if they take this case. I will get to tell my uber liberal friend in HoCo with the illegal taser that it's not illegal any more. I only know about it because one of his kids spilled the beans.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    FWIW I Googled a dozen or so scotus cases in which the record was requested. ALL were granted cert, sometimes the request came before or after the petition was granted.
    Seems a very positive sign indeed.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I searched on the SCT docket and most of the cases that come up as "record requested" are capital cases (these are mostly denied). Quite a few grants and GVRs.

It is hard to tell what the odds are without going through all 53 pages of records and filtering on the capital cases.

In any case, I am sure it means they are taking this case seriously. That alone is a great sign.

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    Do we really want SCOTUS taking this case?

If they wanted to chip away at Heller, this would be a good place to start.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Compare google searches for
    site:supremecourt.gov docket "record requested" "petition denied"
    vs
    site:supremecourt.gov docket "record requested" "petition granted"

The latter results stay in 2010+ cases much longer than the former

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I figure it means they requested the trial record. They are digging deeper into something. That is a good sign.

That is encouraging for sure.

This is the most interest the court has shown since the sheningans with Drake.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    We could be in for another delay, the record sometimes takes a month to arrive if the documents are on paper. Electronic records arrive within the week.

Rough #s?

I just glanced at the year code for the cases that came back on the first 5 pages, didn't count them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Poking through the search results, cert is not a slam dunk. Maybe 60% chance. Hard to say because they changed the procedures to more carefully screen cases recently. For a lot of older cases they did not request the record until after cert was granted.

At least they are taking the case seriously. I agree it'll take more that the average two weeks to get the records and sort it out.

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    Politics, thats all...

Fellas, remember- Caetano is a homeless woman, represented by a Boston public defender, with an amici by Volokh, Project AWARE, a woman's anti-violence on women's group.

My bitter cynical self says The Wise Latina Sotomayer, The Sturdy Elena, and Old Role Model Ginsberg's SJW clerks are spinning madly to find a way for these three at least to fall all over themselves ostensibly supporting women,
    with all sorts of high-minded legal prose and horse manure, while still banning guns or anything like them, including tasers, for self-defense,
    on some sort of technicality, and thus the need to find minutia buried in the history.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but not holding my breath.

Sorry, the all out hypocrisy and mendacity on the Left, top to bottom on Dem party line in obvious WH spinners collusion with the StateRunMedia journolistas "to let no crisis go to waste",

like radical jihadi's killing defense-less women and children in San Bernardino,

in order to once again dance in still their warm blood to push "gun control" has gotten me in a very foul mood.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Fellas, remember- Caetano is a homeless woman, represented by a Boston public defender, with an amici by Volokh, Project AWARE, a woman's anti-violence on women's group.

My bitter cynical self says The Wise Latina Sotomayer, The Sturdy Elena, and Old Role Model Ginsberg's SJW clerks are spinning madly to find a way for these three at least to fall all over themselves ostensibly supporting women,
    with all sorts of high-minded legal prose and horse manure, while still banning guns or anything like them, including tasers, for self-defense,
    on some sort of technicality, and thus the need to find minutia buried in the history.

Sorry, the all out hypocrisy and mendacity on the Left, top to bottom on Dem party line in obvious WH spinners collusion with the StateRunMedia journolistas "to let no crisis go to waste",

like radical jihadi's killing defense-less women and children in San Bernardino,

in order to once again dance in still their warm blood to push "gun control" has gotten me in a very foul mood.

Oh I agree with this. The libs had a golden opportunity to resurrect the P or I clause in McDonald but since it meant also expanding gun rights, they showed their face and passed.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Just like all 9 Justices said 2A is an individual right, but only 5 said it covers handguns...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

A case worth watching:

14-1468 BIRCHFIELD, DANNY V. NORTH DAKOTA
    14-1470 BERNARD, WILLIAM R. V. MINNESOTA
    14-1506 BEYLUND, STEVE M. V. NORTH DAKOTA​

Related Issue: Whether, in the absence of a warrant, a state may make it a crime for a person to refuse to take a chemical test to detect the presence of alcohol in the person’s blood.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I wonder how accurate this list is:
    Stun gun buyer's guide
    Prohibited States/Counties/Cities for Stun Guns

The following STATES are ILLEGAL to own or possess a stun gun:

Hawaii
    Illinois – LEGAL but has restrictions – Illinois Stun Gun Laws
    Massachusetts
    Michigan – Stun Guns are prohibited. Only devices that contain an identification and tracking system that dispenses coded material when the device is used are allowed. TASER devices are the only ones currently legal.
    New Jersey
    New York
    Rhode Island
    District of Columbia

The following CITIES are ILLEGAL to own or possess a stun gun:

Annapolis, MD
    Baltimore, MD
    Chicago, IL
    Philadelpia, PA

The following COUNTIES are ILLEGAL to own or possess a stun gun:

Baltimore County, MD
    Crawford County, IA