• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    As I have talked about a few times on this forum, I have been collecting and polishing brass for a good while now and am ready to plunge into reloading. While I was given an RCBS progressive, I don't think this is a wise choice for my first plunge into reloading.

I will be taking a long-range shooting class at the end of June and need to work-up a load for my 30-06 and load 200 of them beforehand. I'm getting a lesson on reloading from my cousin in the coming weeks and will hopefully be good to go then.

1. Lee Precision Classic Turret Press Kit- $199
    -Lee Classic Turret Press
    -Lee Precision Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure
    -Lee Precision Auto Disk Riser
    -Large and Small Lee Precision Safety Primer
    -Turret for press
    -Case cutter, lock stud, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner
    -Lee sizing lube
    -Lee Precision Safety Powder Scale
    -Lee Precision's Modern Reloading Second Edition
    2.30-06 Lee Case Gauge Holder and Length Gauge for the case cutter- $4.79
    3. Lee Powder Funnel- $2.89
    4. Lee Ultimate 4-die rifle die set (Is there a smarter option for the rifle dies?)- $45.99
    5. Lee Decapping Die- $11.19
    6. Extra decapping pin- $2.09
    7. Extra shell plate- $10.39
    8. Lee 9mm Deluxe Carbide die set- $39.99

I already have (or in the mail):
    1. RCBS lube and pad
    2. RCBS mechanical scale (borrowing)
    3. RCBS Primer pocket swager combo
    4. Vibratory tumble with media
    5. Nice digital calipers

I'm debating getting the Lee Reloading Stand as well since a portable system would be a big bonus.

I have my powder (IMR 4350), Primers (Remington), brass (CMP surplus), bullets (Sierra Match King 175 gr HPBT).

I'm expecting to pay $450 for everything right now, and that is at the top of my budget. If you all have serious suggestions, changes, etc. please let me know! I wish I had the money for a Dillon, but I don't...

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I would save the money on the press and use the RCBS. As long as it is not auto-indexing, you can use it as a single stage. I did that with my Dillon RL550B, and all went well.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Dump the RCBS pad.

Get a bottle of Dillions spray lube or any lanolin/alcohol mixture and steal a cookie sheet from the spouse per package directions.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I would save the money on the press and use the RCBS. As long as it is not auto-indexing, you can use it as a single stage. I did that with my Dillon RL550B, and all went well.

I would if it had a removable and and easily replaceable turret. It is an older model that I plan on setting up a dedicated 9mm ammo plant.

The new press is about $80 of my cost and I think will do well for loading my 30-30, 308s, .223, 300 savage, and the like in the future. The replaceable turrets seem to be a HUGE time saver.

Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    Dump the RCBS pad.

Get a bottle of Dillions spray lube or any lanolin/alcohol mixture and steal a cookie sheet from the spouse per package directions.

^ This. Huge time saver. Lubing by hand is a PITA.

Also you may come across some casings with military crimps. I use an $8 countersink bit to nicely bevel the edges so the primers go in easier.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Dump the RCBS pad.

Are you trying to get the man killed?!?!?! :lol2::lol2:

Ditto on the Dillon spray lube.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Minimum of three manuals.

I like
    Hornady for service rifle loading
    Lyman
    Lee

Also I have tried other dies but keep coming back to rcbs, drop the lube pad.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    As much as possible, I would go with RCBS at a minimum. Definitely for the powder scale. I have seen quite a few complaints about the Lee powder scale.
    I would rather have used RCBS or Dillon, than new Lee.

No need to be offended Lee lovers. Just my opinion here. I like lobster more than steak too.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    As much as possible, I would go with RCBS at a minimum. Definitely for the powder scale. I have seen quite a few complaints about the Lee powder scale.
    I would rather have used RCBS or Dillon, than new Lee.

No need to be offended Lee lovers. Just my opinion here. I like lobster more than steak too.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I have an RCBS scale on loan as well, so I will be comparing the two. I gave my cousin a digital Cabelas scale that is still in the box, so I may be stealing it back next time I'm up there.

What is the major difference in dies from one vendor vs another? I liked the powder-thru die ability from Lee which is why I stuck with them. Also, which dies do you need to reload rifle? The 3 die set? 2 die if no crimp? I'm confused...

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I like the four separate dies of the Dillon or Redding. Seating and crimping in one die sounds like a real pain in the butt to get just right. I do like the Lee universal deprimer.

RCBS are good too. My Dad uses them.

I hear the occasional issue with sticking in Lee dies. I have never heard complaints for RCBS, Redding, Dillon. I think 300 blackout can be picky. Google it. The warranty is excellent for these.

Carbide for pistol, steel for rifle.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Heard a lot of issues with ball powder leaking from lee powder measures.

Im using a 40 year on rcbs kit and it's working great. Pulled it out of a basement all rusted. Cleaned it up and runs like a top now!

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    You would be hard pressed to find more press for your money than the lee classic cast turret. It can be had for around $100. The aluminum version is OK but the cast model is well worth the extra cost. The cast will do almost all rifle cases due to its heavy construction and length of ram stroke where the aluminum would be better suited for pistol or smaller rifle.

I would call it semi progressive meaning the dies advance (if you want) and the case never gets removed from the press until you have a finished round. You can pull the auto index feature and use as a single stage or non progressive turret press. The only weak point is the plastic square ratchet drive which cost .50 and a extra is included with a new press. If the part fails and you don't have a replacement you can still load without the auto indexing. If you are just starting out I would recommend not using the auto indexing until you get a few 1000 rounds under your belt anyway.

Uses standard shell holders and extra turrets are around $10. No pricey conversions needed. If 150 to 200 round per hour will accommodate your shooting needs than its all the press you would ever need.

If you are going the way of the lee turret press you might as well get lee dies as to achieve the full use of the presses features you will need a powder through expander die (which lee has) for straight wall cases. Lee pacesetter dies for rifle and 4 die sets for pistol would be a good combination for the press and a beginner.

I highly doubt that you would find many who have ACTUALLY used one that have much negative to say about the classic cast turret press.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    He already has an RCBS progressive. I don't think he needs a cheaper one.

While I was given an RCBS progressive, I don't think this is a wise choice for my first plunge into reloading.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As I have talked about a few times on this forum, I have been collecting and polishing brass for a good while now and am ready to plunge into reloading. While I was given an RCBS progressive, I don't think this is a wise choice for my first plunge into reloading.

You are making a decision based on you and you alone. I know I preach the word of Dillon, but this time all I am going to say is this: Keep the RCBS progressive, you will want a progressive one day and you already own one. No need to buy a Dillon if you don't have to.

I hope you enjoy reloading as much as I do and you find it a rewarding hobby. Depending on what bullets you choose, I might be able to give you a few ideas along the way.

Sierra 5th Edition for just the .30-06 Springfield.
    http://m-b-r.co.uk/PDF/Sierra 30-06 Springfield.pdf

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    OP, if you're sticking with Lee, get extra turrets. They make caliber swaps easy and painless.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...hole-turret-press-turret?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Heard a lot of issues with ball powder leaking from lee powder measures.

Im using a 40 year on rcbs kit and it's working great. Pulled it out of a basement all rusted. Cleaned it up and runs like a top now!

I had issues in the beginning but had I read the instructions off the bat, I would have known how to adjust it to not leak.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Lee pacesetter dies for rifle and 4 die sets for pistol would be a good combination for the press and a beginner.

This is some great info I was trying to find.

Thanks for all your help, I am in debt to you guys. Its very difficult to figure out whats worth paying for and whats not with all this stuff...

Should I get a powder thrower for accuracy loads or is the dipper sufficient to start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom