• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I'll be more impressed when politicians begin cracking down on false claims of DV.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Many politicians, members of the gun control crowd in particular, totally fail to grasp the concept of deterrence.

Restraining order against offender != deterrence
    Weakly enforced laws with light prison sentences != deterrence

Gun pointed at offender = deterrence

No This is malice. They know damn well which is why they have armed guards, and in the case of one NY pol whose name pops up as a sponsor of every anti gun bill there isa carry permit for NYC

Repeat this is malice. With out wife beaters they could not scare soccer moms into surrendering whats left of there free will to the state.

If you like the Baltimore Body count vote for MOM in 2016 so it can go national :)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Domestic violence is a huge problem but in actuality most people don't really get hurt. In DC its usually a push, a smack, a threat, or a kick with very little to no physical injury. Please don't misunderstand that to say that there are not serious victims out there.

My impression is that the real government issue with DV is the amount of money spent. We keep free 911 phones in out patrol cars, we (the gov) pay for the restraining orders to be processed, multile officers time on scene then processing then court, the advocacy programs and shelters subsidized by the government, Judges, civilian witnesses, social workers and CFSA. Each one of the above groups is being paid to deal with the same domestic violence incident, that's a crap ton of money.

The real issue with DV isn't arming victims the real issue has nothing to do with guns. In situations like this guns are a temporary band aid that honestly might lead to more problems (and you'll probably never hear me say that again). It's a sociological issue that needs to be addressed. Is it maturity? A cultural thing? An economic thing?

I used to deal with DV A LOT!!! Thankfully not so much anymore. What I find in is that in lower income areas pride is held to an insanely high regard. When someone's pride is hurt they end up lashing out physically. Who better than to hurt your pride but the one who you care most for?

DV is a real problem. I have seen it. protective orders are at best a fig leaf that deters only those who are not a genuine threat. Because they are now routine, they are not taken a seriously as they would be if they were only used when truly needed.. It appears to be a "boy who cries wolf " thing. Particular when over privileged housewives use them as leverage in custody disputes.

If i am off the mark or out of line please call me on it, but if you get a DV call and find out that there is a OP on the guy, do you treat it as a likely violence imminent situation, or have you reach the point were OP is so standard that it tells you nothing?

I only know from NY. They Given as a matter of course, and the police might not even run a red light to get there any quicker as it means nothing now..

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    DV is a real problem. I have seen it. protective orders are at best a fig leaf that deters only those who are not a genuine threat. Because they are now routine, they are not taken a seriously as they would be if they were only used when truly needed.. It appears to be a "boy who cries wolf " thing. Particular when over privileged housewives use them as leverage in custody disputes.
    If i am off the mark or out of line please call me on it, but if you get a DV call and find out that there is a OP on the guy, do you treat it as a likely violence imminent situation, or have you reach the point were OP is so standard that it tells you nothing?

I only know from NY. They Given as a matter of course, and the police might not even run a red light to get there any quicker as it means nothing now..

A protection order for US is a code 1 assignment, get there ASAP. With that being said I've been to thousands of dv calls they are just as routine as traffic stops (no need to correct the word routine). DV is taken very seriously but again very few are actually injured.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Domestic violence is a huge problem but in actuality most people don't really get hurt. In DC its usually a push, a smack, a threat, or a kick with very little to no physical injury. Please don't misunderstand that to say that there are not serious victims out there.

My impression is that the real government issue with DV is the amount of money spent. We keep free 911 phones in out patrol cars, we (the gov) pay for the restraining orders to be processed, multile officers time on scene then processing then court, the advocacy programs and shelters subsidized by the government, Judges, civilian witnesses, social workers and CFSA. Each one of the above groups is being paid to deal with the same domestic violence incident, that's a crap ton of money.

The real issue with DV isn't arming victims the real issue has nothing to do with guns. In situations like this guns are a temporary band aid that honestly might lead to more problems (and you'll probably never hear me say that again). It's a sociological issue that needs to be addressed. Is it maturity? A cultural thing? An economic thing?

I used to deal with DV A LOT!!! Thankfully not so much anymore. What I find in is that in lower income areas pride is held to an insanely high regard. When someone's pride is hurt they end up lashing out physically. Who better than to hurt your pride but the one who you care most for?

There are a lot of issues behind it on both sides. I believe it is all of the above in bold and then some. I have gone to Court on several restraining/protective orders for domestic violence and cannot tell you how many times the battered partner just does not show up, or shows up and tells the Judge that nothing happened and that he/she does not want the partner removed from the house.

I believe a lot of these partners stay with the beater for financial security. I also believe it is acceptable in some cultures.

Simply put, there is no room whatsoever for violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom