• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Any good or what? An older business associate saw one of these online and wants one. He has limited firearm experience, he has a 12 gauge pump for home defense now but he wants something cheaper and softer shooting for fun range use. He wants a lever rifle, maybe a holdover from the cowboy movies of his youth???

Any other .22 lever rifles worth buying?

Thanks.

And yes, I suggested other .22 rimfire rifles, like the 10/22 and a Savage bolt gun or two.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I have a Henry H001. It's their bottom of the line model, and it shoots great. Hasn't ever misfed, shoots as straight as I can (or more likely better.) I imagine the higher end models are just as good or better, and Henry has a great reputation for customer service.

The Marlin 39a, although pricier, gets stellar reviews. I haven't owned one, so can't say much more. But I'm sure others will chime in.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Made in the USA, the maker has great customer service from what I have read, and relatively inexpensive.

And what's wrong with lever action?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I have a Golden Boy large loop ... I love it. Great plinker and accurate as all get out.

It developed some feed problems with jamming the last round in the chamber after about 300rds. I contacted Henry and sent it back pre-paid UPS. They turned it around in 3 days. I haven't had a problem since.

From personal experience, they have great customer service.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Have this one in a .44 cal. Great gun!!!! Have to order the large loop lever for it.

Attachments

• h006_bigboy_lg.jpg
      h006_bigboy_lg.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 361

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have the standard .22 (H001) as well as a Golden Boy in .22 mag.
    Sorry, I can't tell you how well they shoot, 'cause they are both new in the box. I have had them for two - three years and never shot 'em.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I bought my Golden Boy about 5 years ago and love it. I have bought two more of the H001 for teaching and one for my SO who loves almost as much as her left handed Savage Bolt Action .22 Mark II!

Not sure if customer service is a factor, but when one of my students dropped my Golden Boy ( this was before I had the H001 models), the buttstock developed a small crack. I contacted Henry Cusotmer service via e-mail and explained what had happened. I was expecting to get a reply about how to order a new stock. What I got was a new buttstock with the brass via UPS about three days later with a letter from Anthony Imperato! No charge too!

I have had several other dealings with Henry and their support for shooting programs is top notch!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    And what's wrong with lever action?

Nothing. I own a Marlin .38 Special/.357 Magnum lever rifle. I just have no experience with the Henry's or .22 rimfire lever guns. Just making sure everything is OK for the work buddy.

Thanks to everyone. I feel better telling him to go look at the rifles and see how they feel to him.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have handled both and I find the Marlin 39 to be a more solid gun. The price reflects that difference. For a plinker, the Henry should be fine I suspect. I bought the Marlin when I found a too good to pass up deal on a used one. If I needed to put meat on the table, that gun would probably keep me well stocked in rabbit and squirrell.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Absolutely get a Henry. I got a Golden Boy .22 mag as a gift, liked it so much I went and got another one in .22 caliber. 0 issues with either one. I want one more in .45 colt. I lost a side cover screw somehow and had it replaced for free within a couple days.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I bought my son a Henry youth model 22 from a member here a few years back and we've put thousands of rounds through it together with no problems at all.

It's incredibly accurate and has an ok trigger on it...about what you'd expect on most entry level 22's.

I'd buy another, no doubt.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Henry's are terrific guns. I picked one of the Wally World .22 levers several years ago. It quickly became one of my favorite .22's. You can't go wrong with a Henry. :thumbsup:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Just an update, the work associate checked Henry's web site and found a shop near him and went and bought the rifle Tuesday. This guy said that when he shouldered the rifle it felt just right to him. Thanks for the info.

Freedom

Aug 15, 2011
    I saw a guy yesterday take one out of the box and the first shots were dead on.

How often does this happen?

Don't know how often, but I picked up the Henry 22 for my 11 year old today and it was dead on.

Happiest 11 year old boy in the world. No can is safe in our field.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I have a 39A that's both immaculate and 1961 vintage. I "might" want to A. sell it or B. trade for a 10/22 but with some cash thrown in. It's really exceptional so I really don't know what to ask...... $425.00 or there abouts.

If I never do anything it's obviously not the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom