House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    They claiming victory for potentially getting a bill that's just a state-wide reinforcement of most campus' existing policy that doesn't incur a criminal penalty?

;)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When did Miller get such a bug up his ass about guns and colleges? They've had decades to do this. Did something set him off?

Normally he goes where the wind is blowing and as far as I can tell there wasn't a strong breeze for this bill.

As Stoveman said above, since his granddaughter is now attending UMD. When they announced this bill last year he made a point of stating he had grandkids in college and would do everything he could to protect them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I do not think it's a Miller thing. Campus carry is an issue all over the country. I think that the demanding MoMs and Bloomberg crowd are looking for a victory to say that they beat back the tide.

Miller made it personal when he announced the bill last year and said he would do anything to keep his grandkids safe that were starting college.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    There's a battle royale going on in the Senate over this thing. I'd be mildly surprised if they had the votes to overcome a veto.

Some of the older black Senators have split with the younger (Smith) which has made this thing incredibly weak.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Good! Hopefully they don;t have the votes to get it to pass it in the first place!

This is where the bill stands with passage at second reader yesterday. Notice how far it has been amended since the original bill was submitted. Senator Smith has consented to a *lot* with these amendments. It is radically different than HB 159 as it passed the House. This still has to pass third reader in the Senate.

Attachments

• sb0946 As amended with second reader.pdf
      166.5 KB · Views: 113

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it gets to the Governor, he better veto. My suspicion is....

We don't know that his office isn't already talking to the turds and making a deal and that's why these amendments are in there. I have no idea, just saying it's possible. Annapolis is so much theater.

I think he definitely could sustain a veto in the Senate. Whether he will or not is another story because I am sure he knows if he does the antis will blame every shooting within a mile of a college on him until the next election, and the media will help them. In high crime places like Baltimore City where you have constant unrelated street crime on the property of or within a stone's throw of a college or university that could be a lot of bad press. And if there's one thing we know it's our governor hates the potential of bad press when it comes to supporting gun rights.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    This is where the bill stands with passage at second reader yesterday. Notice how far it has been amended since the original bill was submitted. Senator Smith has consented to a *lot* with these amendments. It is radically different than HB 159 as it passed the House. This still has to pass third reader in the Senate.

Time to remind the good senators that the entire 1972 prohibition on transporting and carrying handguns was only passed to justify "stop and frisk" harassment of black people. tAndhey were both enrolled together as emergency legislation. this bill just increases the chance that more minorties will be targeted for arrest.
    Md criminal 4-206 stop and frisk

Much welcoming
    Very sanctuary
    Civility chosen

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good point. Maryland - where the Democratic party works to put rapists in public schools but armed protectors out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    SB 946 (The Senate version) passed 3rd reader by a vote of 27 - 20, and is heavily amended compared to the House bill.

Here is the voting record: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...b=subject3&id=sb0946,s-0798&stab=02&ys=2017RS

Now comes the fun part... The House bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the Senate. The Senate Bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the House.

For the House Bill, if it makes it out of committee and is amended in anyway in committee or during the floor vote (if it makes it that far) it then need to go back to the House for approval of the amendments. If the House does not accept the Amendments, then the bill has to go to conference committee to have the changes worked out. If it makes it out of conference committee then it has to pass a vote in both the House and Senate (again).

For the Senate bill - Same prices as above, just change "House" above to "Senate"

In order for either bill to make it to the Governors desk and for him to even consider a VETO, either bill has to make through the above process. Could it happen? Yep. Will it happen? I give it 40/60 of making out before sine die.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012

SB 946 (The Senate version) passed 3rd reader by a vote of 27 - 20, and is heavily amended compared to the House bill.

Here is the voting record: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...b=subject3&id=sb0946,s-0798&stab=02&ys=2017RS

Now comes the fun part... The House bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the Senate. The Senate Bill needs a committee hearing and vote in the House.

For the House Bill, if it makes it out of committee and is amended in anyway in committee or during the floor vote (if it makes it that far) it then need to go back to the House for approval of the amendments. If the House does not accept the Amendments, then the bill has to go to conference committee to have the changes worked out. If it makes it out of conference committee then it has to pass a vote in both the House and Senate (again).

For the Senate bill - Same prices as above, just change "House" above to "Senate"

In order for either bill to make it to the Governors desk and for him to even consider a VETO, either bill has to make through the above process. Could it happen? Yep. Will it happen? I give it 40/60 of making out before sine die.

Thanks for the updates, and details on the process!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom