• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    ......... on the other hand it was somewhat of a hobby and nice to be toasty....

yep - toasty is nice. Hope you can stay toasty this winter PJD. Maybe a small Chubby installed if a warm spot is needed?

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Thinking I'm going to do resistance radiant floor heat in the bathrooms, I hate cold tiles....

You won't regret it. I did it in our bathroom about 18 months ago and we love it. If you're looking to DIY it, I used one of those mesh rolls of wire but they now have a system that lets you choose exactly where you want the cables that I would have rather used Home Depot linky.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Everyone get their coal for the year or do you have an overstock from last year due to the warm winter?

yep - a bit (;)) of both. Bought less than previous years due to left over along with a "buffer" amount in the event this winter is colder/longer than usual.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I bought a ton off of PJ Diesel last year and I had a 1/4 ton. I still have the ton left over. Has not been cold enough yet to start her up, but I do have the wood stove in the basement on low today.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I bought a ton off of PJ Diesel last year and I had a 1/4 ton. I still have the ton left over. Has not been cold enough yet to start her up, but I do have the wood stove in the basement on low today.

Got the Harman TLC2000 on low now - using Blaschak nut and it runs very low compared to the Kimmel's we've gotten from TSC. Even slow cooking (heating) the yams on top of the stove! Starting to smell like Thanksgiving now!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My Grandfather and his brothers mined for Blaschak. I used to buy from the breaker in Tremont and Pine Grove. Most hard or anthracite (the good stuff) goes over seas now,what a shame. When I was a kid we burned rice to heat the house. I can remember my uncle having a fit when it went from 13 to 15 dollars a ton. Coal was good but I burn oil now in a small house that has insulation. Last time I bought it was 90 a ton for rice

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I wish it was still 90 a ton. I haven't bought any this year but I should probably start pricing it out to see who has the best prices. I was burning Blaschak but switched over to buying by a ton of loose a couple years ago. I wish I could buy it by a 3 to 5 tons at a time but I do not have a place it to keep it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I would think someone around York would sell or be available. I thought about getting a shaker stove but decided against it for availability, even making a run to the county with a dump trailer if the need be to stock up. The last time I burned I just left it on the trailer covered with a tarp to keep the pine needles out of it. I would burn about a bucket a day and just carry it in to the basement in plastic buckets because there was no coal bin. When I lived on the mountain, I helped my neighbor install a central boiler that worked great but he burned a couple cord a year. There is nothing like the BTU's of the black diamond except oil if you dont live around alot of utilities.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Mine is running. We buy it by the bag so we dont have to have a big bin but buy it usually by the metric ton. This year just went with 20 bags to start instead.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Anybody know anything about Surdiac Coal Stoves? I found one that I am interested in. It is used and they only want $100, they say it works fine. I know they aren't made anymore. How hard would this thing be to hook up myself? Dumb idea? Should I just call an expert and not burn my home down?

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Anybody know anything about Surdiac Coal Stoves? I found one that I am interested in. It is used and they only want $100, they say it works fine. I know they aren't made anymore. How hard would this thing be to hook up myself? Dumb idea? Should I just call an expert and not burn my home down?

Have you had a chance to cull through nepacrossroads.com? There are 1680 posts about Surdiac stoves. There may be some regarding the specific model that you are looking at.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Have you had a chance to cull through nepacrossroads.com? There are 1680 posts about Surdiac stoves. There may be some regarding the specific model that you are looking at.

Thanks for the tip. Great information over there on NEPA. Seems like Surdiac is the Hi-Point of coal stoves. I think I will keep looking and maybe spend some dinero. It is being sold at $100 for good reason. :thumbsup:

I think I'll look at Leisure Line, Alaskan, and Harmon.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I know this is an old thread, however I am thinking about a coal stove for the house.

The house is about 1200 square ft and I currently use oil and wood.

I am to the point that I don't think I want to keep cutting wood when coal will give me more heat per load for a little less in price. Plus less work on my part as I age.

Any thought on places that sell stoves close to Carroll County? Also place to buy coal?

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I know this is an old thread, however I am thinking about a coal stove for the house.

The house is about 1200 square ft and I currently use oil and wood.

I am to the point that I don't think I want to keep cutting wood when coal will give me more heat per load for a little less in price. Plus less work on my part as I age.

Any thought on places that sell stoves close to Carroll County? Also place to buy coal?

As for the coal, we have been getting nut anthracite from Tractor Supply the last 3 years and have found no problems with it. For stoves, this is a great site: http://nepacrossroads.com that has tons of info and may be helpful on places near you that have stoves. We went with the Harmon TLC2000 that is now made by Legacy Stoves (http://www.legacystoves.com/index.php?page=tlc-2000-coal-stove). We went with this one because, unlike a stoker stove, it does not need electric except for a blower to circulate air for better efficiency.

Wishing you luck with the "hunt" and think you'll appreciate the warmth of coal.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Gonna take a ride out to the coal mines in 2 weeks. Got the okay to use aF250 pickup and dump trailer from work, so tolls and fuel will be free. To make it worth the ride I figured I would pick up a minimum of 3 tons. Just a couple hour ride for $160 a ton vs. local being $255 a ton. At a $95 a ton saving it will make it worth my wild and should last 2 to 3 years.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Makanik, Where are the coal mines you speak of. A friend of mine just bought a house with a coal stove and is working on the small amount of coal that was left in the bin. We are going to make a trip in the next two weeks to get three ton and are in search of the best place to get it. He has been told head to West VA for the best prices but it is a hike at about 4 hours. Any advice on low price coal suppliers would be appreciated.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Makanik, Where are the coal mines you speak of. A friend of mine just bought a house with a coal stove and is working on the small amount of coal that was left in the bin. We are going to make a trip in the next two weeks to get three ton and are in search of the best place to get it. He has been told head to West VA for the best prices but it is a hike at about 4 hours. Any advice on low price coal suppliers would be appreciated.

Check to see what kind of coal is needed for his stove. There is anthracite and bituminous (hard and soft respectively) and some stoves need anthracite to burn properly. Anthracite is found primarily in northeast PA so I suspect that the coal veins in WVa are bituminous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom