• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    I already did all the tasks for my HQL. I'm just waiting for approval now. Should happen in mid December.

The question then, since it takes up to two months to get approved for the C&R license, should I go ahead and send in the C&R letter or is it better to hold off until my HQL arrives?

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    why wait? You don't need an HQL for an FFL 03. if you want to start buying, get it.

Maybe I'm not understanding. From previous posts, it would seem that you need to own a "regulated firearm" before the atf will issue you a ffl 03. In order to purchase the regulated firearm I need my HQL. Right?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No the FFL is an Federal FFL License. Has zero to do with MD.

MSP has on accasion not issued a DC letter until you own a regulated firearm.

Apples and Oranges.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC letter and HQL are MD things.

The FFL 03 is a Federal license.

The FFL 03 only requires a clean record and 30 bucks.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Only FFL-03 is required for out of state C&R. MD Designated Collector Letter is worthless outside of Maryland.

My point was a C&R license (for C&R qualified firearms) exempts one from the HQL, 7 day wait and one per 30 days that the DC letter also exempts one from.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    My point was a C&R license (for C&R qualified firearms) exempts one from the HQL, 7 day wait and one per 30 days that the DC letter also exempts one from.

In MD a C&R license does none of those things. In MD bonafide C&R handguns do NOT require the HQL OR an FFL03 (C&R Licensee) they DO require the completion and submission of a 77R to MSP the POC for NICS.

ALL handguns purchased in the state of MD require the completion of a 77R and the 7 day wait.

The DC (Designated Collector) letter exempts one from the 1 per 30 day rule.

IF one is applying for an HQL and has completed and submitted the form online then the DC letter should be able to be provided at the same time.

IIRC there is nowhere in COMAR that states a succesful purchase of a handgun or firearm that is treated as regulated is required PRIOR to the submission and issuance of a DC letter.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In MD a C&R license does none of those things. In MD bonafide C&R handguns do NOT require the HQL OR an FFL03 (C&R Licensee) they DO require the completion and submission of a 77R to MSP the POC for NICS.

ALL handguns purchased in the state of MD require the completion of a 77R and the 7 day wait.

The DC (Designated Collector) letter exempts one from the 1 per 30 day rule.

IF one is applying for an HQL and has completed and submitted the form online then the DC letter should be able to be provided at the same time.

IIRC there is nowhere in COMAR that states a succesful purchase of a handgun or firearm that is treated as regulated is required PRIOR to the submission and issuance of a DC letter.

What if I accidently left out "purchased from outside the state of MD" on post 28?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What if I accidently left out "purchased from outside the state of MD" on post 28?

Then that would nullify my post entirely as interstate firearms purchasing with an FFL03 has definitive advantages. And I would have to point out that C&R handguns legally purchased outside the state of MD are exempt from the 77R and 7 day wait with the submission of a copy of your FFL03 and government issued photo ID.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

And since when has that stopped MSP before?

This is how they are handling it now.

You can either hire and lawyer and take them to court (which has been done). Or just buy a handgun.

Choice 1 gets you the DC and costs a few hundred dollars.

Choice 2 gets you the DC, costs you a few hundred dollars, and you get to keep the handgun.

:D

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I sent out my request 3 weeks ago for collector (no reponse yet) and still waiting for my HQL (applied for HQL about a week before collector submission). Maybe by the turn of the century I'll have both. By the time I actually get a chance to apply for a carry permit they will have to hand it to my grand children as keep sake

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    except for buying one out of state. MSP will have no record of it.

While the comments and opinion contained in that letter are nice.

The last sentence is the true tell...

I hate disclaimers at the end of legal opinions... :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom