• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I have a Glock 26 that I installed Ameriglo ghost ring sights and a TLR-6 laser sight on. I need to adjust the sights and I'm not sure what the best way to do that is.

I have this NcSTAR VTUPRS rear sight tool and it made installation of the rear sight a breeze, and I'm assuming I'll need to use it to adjust the rear sight side to side to get it properly aligned.

Once I get the sights aligned I figure I'll shoot at paper and adjust the laser to hit the target at the point of impact of that shot. The problem is that when I move the gun to adjust the sights I'll ruin the alignment of the last shot I took. I see no way to do this while holding the Glock 26 in my hands.

I've used sleds and sandbags for holding rifles steady when aligning sights and optics. What is the best method to hold a handgun steady while I adjust the sights when at the range? Also, what would be the best distance to sight in a small carry gun like a Glock 26? I'm thinking maybe 7 yards? Thanks!

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    How is it any different than any other sight? If the laser is low and left move it up and right, shoot again. Repeat until the bullet hits the spot the laser was pointing at. I've never used a laser so I assume they don't have 1/4 MOA clicks etc.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Can you jerryrig a vise of some sort and use an extended mag to hold the pistol?

This is what I've been thinking, I need something like a vise to hold the pistol steady so I can take a shot and then move the rear sight to the point of impact, and then repeat with the laser. The problem is that if I don't have the pistol completely stable I'm never going to get the sights adjusted properly. It's fairly easy to pile sandbags on and around a rifle to keep it stationary, I'm not sure how to do that with a handgun.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    How is it any different than any other sight? If the laser is low and left move it up and right, shoot again. Repeat until the bullet hits the spot the laser was pointing at. I've never used a laser so I assume they don't have 1/4 MOA clicks etc.

There are screws you turn to adjust the beam. I know I have to take a shot then move the laser beam so it's on the point of impact. The problem is keeping the handgun stationary while I adjust the laser. It's easy to do with a rifle. I'm not sure how to best keep a compact handgun stationary while adjusting the rear sight and laser.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I usually just center the rear in the slide, can check with a caliper to make sure there is equal depth from the slide flat to the sight on each side, vast majority of the time it will shoot to center then, the vertical position doesn't matter much, that varies quite a bit by load. If the group is small, and off center, then on a G26, .006" sight movement corresponds to 1" at 25 yards. Say you have .040 depth measured on each side of the slide to the sight in the dovetail, and it's hitting 2" to the right, then push the sight so there is .028" on the left, and .052 on the right, and it should be perfect, although watch for problems with trigger control, especially if you are off by more than an inch or two with the sight centered. Then adjust the laser to co-witness the sight around 15-25 yards, with most that are within a couple inches of the bore axis this keeps it + or - an inch or two to about 35 yards, if you set it to hit a couple inches high, then it will probably be within that range out to 50 or so. You can also sight in the laser by firing a group
    to the beam, checking where it hits, then laying the pistol on it's side, and adjusting the beam relative to that. say it hits 2" high and 1" to the right, you can lay it on it's left side with the beam on the target, hold it in place, adjust the laser 1" down(left) and 2" to the right(down). Signting in unsupported, shooting standing is usually best(if that is how you intend to shoot primarily) the shot placement can change if you place the pistol on a rest or support. If you need to tighten groups up to help sight in, then you can rest your wrists on something, as long as the pistol doesn't touch it, shouldn't change the groups much.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I usually just center the rear in the slide, can check with a caliper to make sure there is equal depth from the slide flat to the sight on each side, vast majority of the time it will shoot to center then, the vertical position doesn't matter much, that varies quite a bit by load. If the group is small, and off center, then on a G26, .006" sight movement corresponds to 1" at 25 yards. Say you have .040 depth measured on each side of the slide to the sight in the dovetail, and it's hitting 2" to the right, then push the sight so there is .028" on the left, and .052 on the right, and it should be perfect, although watch for problems with trigger control, especially if you are off by more than an inch or two with the sight centered. Then adjust the laser to co-witness the sight around 15-25 yards, with most that are within a couple inches of the bore axis this keeps it + or - an inch or two to about 35 yards, if you set it to hit a couple inches high, then it will probably be within that range out to 50 or so. You can also sight in the laser by firing a group
    to the beam, checking where it hits, then laying the pistol on it's side, and adjusting the beam relative to that. say it hits 2" high and 1" to the right, you can lay it on it's left side with the beam on the target, hold it in place, adjust the laser 1" down(left) and 2" to the right(down). Signting in unsupported, shooting standing is usually best(if that is how you intend to shoot primarily) the shot placement can change if you place the pistol on a rest or support. If you need to tighten groups up to help sight in, then you can rest your wrists on something, as long as the pistol doesn't touch it, shouldn't change the groups much.

This is great information, thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just get it sighted in with your sights at the range. then at home where you prob have a vice, wood clamp or something like that to hold the glock, put a 'target' on the wall, get your sights on it, and just adjust your laser to that 'target.'

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    As a regular concealed carrier and wear carry instructor, I'm going to take a different tack here. Why are you even using your sights for a carry gun? If you are responding to a life and death situation, the only reason to pull your gun in the first place, you will not use your sights, you will use natural point of aim. You won't have time or the presence of mind to get a good sight picture. My recommendation is to first develop your skills with natural point of aim at 5 to 7 yards. Once you are able to get 4" to 6" groups, then turn on your laser and adjust it to be in the middle of those groups. In a fast draw from concealment, I regularly hit the 8 ring or better using this technique out to 10 yards.

IMHO, lasers are there to help get you in the right area, not to be used as precision aiming devices. Align your laser to where you shoot, not to be cowitnessed to sights you'll never use in a real armed encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vswillj1

Oct 1, 2018
    As a regular concealed carrier and wear carry instructor, I'm going to take a different tack here. Why are you even using your sights for a carry gun? If you are responding to a life and death situation, the only reason to pull your gun in the first place, you will not use your sights, you will use natural point of aim. You won't have time or the presence of mind to get a good sight picture. My recommendation is to first develop your skills with natural point of aim at 5 to 7 yards. Once you are able to get 4" to 6" groups, then turn on your laser and adjust it to be in the middle of those groups. In a fast draw from concealment, I regularly hit the 8 ring or better using this technique out to 10 yards.

IMHO, lasers are there to help get you in the right area, not to be used as precision aiming devices. Align your laser to where you shoot, not to be cowitnessed to sights you'll never use in a real armed encounter.

Where do you teach.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado

I can agree with this. I've had the gun and swapped the sights in June and haven't sighted it in yet, I've thought I would just use the front sight post and shoot instinctively if I had to. The laser is a light / laser combo and I wanted a light on the Glock 26 so this was the only really viable option.

I'd still like to get the sites and laser accurate though.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I totally understand why you'd want to get it properly sighted in. My only thing is we had a saying in the Army, "train as you will fight.". If you want to use the 26 as a range gun too, that's your call. However, since it's been since June and you haven't had a chance to get it sighted in, I'm guessing that you, like the rest of us, are super busy. If I had limited time and I was staking my life on my skills with A Glock 26, then the vast majority of my time with it would be on getting really good with natural point of aim. It is a skill that has to be developed with repetition.

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

+1 :thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    This is what I've been thinking, I need something like a vise to hold the pistol steady so I can take a shot and then move the rear sight to the point of impact, and then repeat with the laser. The problem is that if I don't have the pistol completely stable I'm never going to get the sights adjusted properly. It's fairly easy to pile sandbags on and around a rifle to keep it stationary, I'm not sure how to do that with a handgun.

Get one of those vises from a place like Harbor Freight that clamp down on the top edge of a table. Hopefully with either rubber or aluminum jaw inserts. As for aligning them it depends on the type of laser. If it mounted on a bottom rail and the laser is centered then put it in a vise and align it at a wall target that corresponds to what distance you set from left to right. I would not bother setting the vertical on the laser until you are at the range. Then once you have the laser set correctly to your bullet striking distance, then align your open sights. If using a grip laser (Crimson Trace type) I advise setting the laser to parallel the POI so that the laser will still be in the same relationship as the barrel regardless of distance (meaning no cross over point) as 2" is not going to make much difference to whoever you might have to engage in the dark. In fact I recommend setting that type of laser up after you align the iron sights. That way you should be able to keep the impact relationship and use it at any reasonable distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom