• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    If a civil right applies to everyone. Then how does one prove "one is engaged in the protection of life and property" if you are not a security guard or police officer? The state seems to imply that you have to be successfully "harmed" to warrant the ability to open carry.

After just setting through my CCW interview, it appears that is correct. Hopefully, if you are threatened, you have a second chance.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Nice job! My only issue with the opinion is that it places too much emphasis on the fact that NY, NJ, and MD issue SOME permits, whereas Hawaii issued none. This implies that Hawaii can grant a few to certain connected people and satisfy the scrutiny level.

I did notice that although I think it was meant to distinguish how outlandish Hawaii was, and not that if they had just issued a few more permits that they would have been OK.
    Lots of citing to Wrenn which clearly didnt hold that permits be restricted to a lucky few.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Hawaii should skip en banc and send an appeal to 1 First St. My calendar will cleared for getting a seat in the visitor gallery whatever day Kavanaugh and his co-workers chooses to hear their whining.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I remember listening to oral argument and how well Woolford did and how poorly the State's representative was and thinking this should be a slam dunk, but this is the 9th circuit......Glad my initial reactions were mostly on point!

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    WHOOT! :party29:

However, en banc sua sponte coming in...

... And then off to SCOTUS we go (hopefully; this time)

Imagine if open carry was ruled the constitutional right!?!! The flood of leftist tears would be so intense you’d need a snorkle to breathe.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    So my question is - what's next? Does this mean there will be some sort of showdown to determine national reciprocity, and further, won't MD still have the ability to suppress our rights in some fashion? Seems like they always find a way...

:edit: - a word

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So my question is - what's next? Does this mean there will be some sort of showdown to determine national reciprocity, and further, won't MD still have the ability to suppress our rights in some fashion? Seems like they always find a way...

No where, for now. This is a local win per se.

We have to wait and see if the 9th wants to go en banc sou sponte, or if Hawaii wants to petition the supreme court.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

What's next? Likely an en Banc hearing in front of the full 9th circuit. Then an appeal to SCOTUS. This will have no bearing in regards to national reciptocity (that's a US Legislature thing) and no impact on MD. Maryland does have a case moving through the courts once again challenging G&S with the anticipation of a quick loss at the 4th circuit and appeal to SCOTUS.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Exciting; though I fear this could end up just like Peruta did.

Maybe we will finally get to find out if Kennedy or Roberts is the hold out.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I bet this goes to en Banc shenanigans and is easily overturned by the full 9th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom