• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I had a Ruger that another member in this thread now has. They are great rifles and very accurate for what they are. Mine shot great. Handles well and is actually pretty handy in the woods as well.

I do not have experience with a forward mounted scope but not crazy about the idea.

I’m my opinion the best and original version of the scout rifle is the Steyer.

The rifle has served me well . My son likes it too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    FR8 can make a nice scout rifle or if you can find one one of the "Gibbs" cutdown Enfields. Had one I sold to a member here, sort of regret it but space is always a premium.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    FR8 can make a nice scout rifle or if you can find one one of the "Gibbs" cutdown Enfields. Had one I sold to a member here, sort of regret it but space is always a premium.

I had one of those for awhile my self it was neat and fun to shoot but the sights were horrible and the bolt was sloppy as hell .

If one does not want optics a jungle carbine is a nice choice but they are getting pricey .

I would still like to have one of those AIA M10-A2s you had .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I had one of those for awhile my self it was neat and fun to shoot but the sights were horrible and the bolt was sloppy as hell .

If one does not want optics a jungle carbine is a nice choice but they are getting pricey .

I would still like to have one of those AIA M10-A2s you had .

I still have both those M10s I keep thinking of selling one but they are scarce and almost impossible to replace so it wont be cheap. Wouldn't be my choice to use for a scout rifle for a variety of reasons including scarcity, cost, mags can also be fickle.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I still have both those M10s I keep thinking of selling one but they are scarce and almost impossible to replace so it wont be cheap. Wouldn't be my choice to use for a scout rifle for a variety of reasons including scarcity, cost, mags can also be fickle.

Wouldn't be my choice either , I just think they are interesting . The ones you have are the only ones I have seen .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It always seemed to me the Scout was basically a light barrel mountain rifle with a forward set scope. With today’s variable glass options the forward mounted scope doesn’t give the same advantage it once did.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ive always been a fan of bolt actions with iron sights, and since the milsurps of my preference are becoming kinda pricey, ive been looking at the new savage 110 scout and the ruger gunsite. Anyome have or shot either of these? Savage has it on price and the new accustock is supposed to be much vetter than the model 11 scout, but ruger does have that sturdy co struction and i like the looks better (kinda like a bolt action m1 carbine). Whuch would be a better option? Opinions?
    If you're willing to step down in caliber to 7.62x39, there are interesting options including the CZ 527, which the manufacturer characterizes as an intermediate range, brush gun ...

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

The carbine comes with iron sights (as long as you don't order their American-style stock), and there is a scope base. The rifle isn't particularly heavy and recoil isn't bad. Of course, ammo can be found for cheap.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Fidelity beat me to it!

(Levers in 30-30 cover some of this territory too, especially if considering fast, brush rifles with iron sights for up to 200 yards shooting)
    a79a895d5144d00a8d1a6c3cd11a1c65.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This Ruger Ranch does not have iron sights but a 1X etched prism scope is the next best thing. Can work with or without illumination.
    [EDIT] optic is a Vortex Spitfire

Attachments

• RAR-762x39.jpg
      RAR-762x39.jpg
      147.8 KB · Views: 112
    Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ooh, that's nice. I've thought really hard lately about picking one of those up in .300BLK (the model 26968 that takes AR mags) to use with a suppressor and an optic like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom