• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Is it possible to sell or transfer a Colt 6920LE in MD, given it has a light barrel?

I have a few firearms that I would like to give to or sell to my son. Or I may just wait until he moves to a different state, which he is hoping will happen soon for a job.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Is it possible to sell or transfer a Colt 6920LE in MD, given it has a light barrel?

I have a few firearms that I would like to give to or sell to my son. Or I may just wait until he moves to a different state, which he is hoping will happen soon for a job.
    Not until your passing. Transfer through inheritance is the only way now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not until your passing. Transfer through inheritance is the only way now.

If the son becomes a resident in another state (goes to school there, or perhaps military assignment) then OP can transfer via FFL, correct?
    [EDIT - I mean actually getting a dirver's license, permanent address, etc.]

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If the son becomes a resident in another state (goes to school there, or perhaps military assignment) then OP can transfer via FFL, correct?
    He would have to establish permanent residency in another state, and then it could be transferred through an ffl.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    He would have to establish permanent residency in another state, and then it could be transferred through an ffl.

But if he ever became a MD resident again. He could not keep it. Because he did not possess it before Oct 1, 2013

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    But if he ever became a MD resident again. He could not keep it. Because he did not possess it before Oct 1, 2013

like that actually matters. cause we sure see a lot of arrests over that, and state police breaking down doors over.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    true, he could not bring it back, but if he had somewhere to keep it out of state, he could do that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If the kid is moving to America, he could buy one just like the MD-grandfathered example, without fear.

I suppose the MD-legal rifle could be "loaned" so that it could leave and re-enter MD, as it would still belong to the original owner?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If the kid is moving to America, he could buy one just like the MD-grandfathered example, without fear.

I suppose the MD-legal rifle could be "loaned" so that it could leave and re-enter MD, as it would still belong to the original owner?
    My 16-yr did his MD hunter's safety training a few years ago (tying me for the high score in the class on the written, grrr) and has been taking a marksmanship class in which there is an emphasis on safety and responsibility for almost as long. Although locked away by me out of convenience, a couple of the bolt and lever action 22lr rifles are nominally his. If he ever wanted a smaller (10 rifle) safe to keep his rifles in his closet, I would get him one. He has my trust 100% and is legal by my understanding of MD law to have possession of these firearms.

I do think about when to give him access to my centerfire semiautomatic rifles, and even though he's responsible and level headed, I'll probably do this when he's 18 and graduated from high school. I might even give him an HBAR at that time.

Getting toward the issue that you raise, I sometimes will take my wife's revolver to the range without her accompanying me but with her knowledge. I am not prohibited and have an HQL. I bet that even if the law is unclear about this type of temporary loan, a temporary spousal transfer isn't an area high on MD's list to prosecute.* I would hope that this would also be the case if my 18-yr old kid (as in progeny and dependent) living under my roof had my permission to take and use one of my HBARs at the range. As per one of my pre-ban AR-15 rifles in a non HBAR configuration, while I think that adult family members should have access in the home in case of emergency, I am less trusting of the beneficence of the state of MD should my (future) 18-yr old want to take one (that I have allowed him access) to the range on his own.

*In addition, I don't know if Chow v Maryland is still controlling ...
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2011-03-commander_gun_case_could_turn-story.html

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or if a question of turning a rifle into cash, rather than going to relative per se , you can sell to an FFL .

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for the information. I will have to see where he ends up. He wants the take it with him and just not sure how it is handled. Maybe I could just loan it to him?

Honestly I need to see where in ends up, but it will probably be on the Northern Border somewhere.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    like that actually matters. cause we sure see a lot of arrests over that, and state police breaking down doors over.

I guess you are not familiar with the forum rules, which do NOT allow recommending or suggesting breaking the law.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I guess you are not familiar with the forum rules, which do NOT allow recommending or suggesting breaking the law.

you must have infered that from my post, i never suggested breaking the law. only said i don’t see people getting arrested over this. just a comment, not a recommendation

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks for the information. I will have to see where he ends up. He wants the take it with him and just not sure how it is handled. Maybe I could just loan it to him?

Honestly I need to see where in ends up, but it will probably be on the Northern Border somewhere.

To legally transfer, it would have to be AFTER he establishes residence in another state where the rifle would be legal, and then the transfer would have to occur through an FFL, NOT in MD.

You could take it to his new state and hand to the FFL for transfer.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Sell your 6920LE model to an FFL and add cash towards the Colt 6920HBPW with Socom barrel.

Your son gets a legal Colt every bit as good as what you give up, and maybe better.

Win-win-win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom