What's The Penalty For Illegal Carry in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Maybe Cold Steel is a dude that has a friend that lives in Baltimore, and that friend is fed up with being a victim, and that friend is contemplating taking extreme measures to protect himself and his family. And maybe that friend needs info to make a decision about whether the unjust and unconstitutional punishment he would receive if caught taking those those measures, would be worth it.

Maybe that friend should consult an attorney so it doesn’t seem like a private owned forum is being utilized to discuss skirting the laws or ramifications of skirting the laws

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I don’t see where the OP stated that he had plans to skirt any laws.

In the modern statist society that we live in, it’s exceedingly difficult to know about, or even understand the layers upon layers upon layers of laws that we citizens are expected to adhere to. There exists a wealth of knowlege and experience on here that is rightly of value to folks. I value this place greatly for that reason. I see the OP wanting to avail himself of it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You say you are not asking for legal advice, but that is actually what you are doing. You don't even have a single question that you are asking, but are asking so many different questions that it would require several hours to do the research and come up with a specific answer to what your specific hypothetical fact situation is.

My advice, if you need to know this stuff for personal reasons, or even for a friend, hire an attorney, sit down with the attorney, tell the attorney the facts, let the attorney do the research, and then let the attorney provide you something in writing. Much better to spend a grand or two to get a specific answer to your specific facts, versus breaking the law, spending ten grand or more for a criminal attorney, and possibly being prohibited for life and/or spending time behind bars.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Knew a VA firefighter/CCW holder from out of state who came into MD and had his handgun in his drivers door map pocket. Guy got pulled over by MD State Trooper. Somehow or another guy opened his door or Trooper noticed the handgun to which the Trooper got uneasy and asked him what the deal was with the firearm. Guy informs him of being CCW holder, completely unaware he is violating MD state law. State Trooper says “Sir I believe in the 2nd ammendment” and sent the guy on his way, no charges or anything.

Obviously not every encounter would go that way, but not every Officer/Trooper is anti 2a

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    My example included a shotgun and hunting rifle. And Washington, D.C. I want inquiring because I wanted to violate the law.

How refreshingly honest.
    I actually meant to say, "I wasn't inquiring because I wanted to violate the law." I was using my Amazon Fire HD and the dang thing makes errors like that constantly. If you want honesty, yes, I'd love to violate the law and go armed. But I durst not with penalties being what they are. I just wish they were as tough on murderers as they are people who carry guns for self defense.

I don’t see where the OP stated that he had plans to skirt any laws. In the modern statist society that we live in, it’s exceedingly difficult to know about, or even understand the layers upon layers upon layers of laws that we citizens are expected to adhere to. There exists a wealth of knowlege and experience on here that is rightly of value to folks. I value this place greatly for that reason. I see the OP wanting to avail himself of it.
    Thank you!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You say you are not asking for legal advice, but that is actually what you are doing. You don't even have a single question that you are asking, but are asking so many different questions that it would require several hours to do the research and come up with a specific answer to what your specific hypothetical fact situation is.

My advice, if you need to know this stuff for personal reasons, or even for a friend, hire an attorney, sit down with the attorney, tell the attorney the facts, let the attorney do the research, and then let the attorney provide you something in writing. Much better to spend a grand or two to get a specific answer to your specific facts, versus breaking the law, spending ten grand or more for a criminal attorney, and possibly being prohibited for life and/or spending time behind bars.

Then post your findings for us to see :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cold Steel is a long time member, several years before me , so unless his account has been hacked, not a Troll .

That said , his post #7 contains at least a half dozen questions , and a thorough discussion of all would be book length .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Cold Steel is a long time member, several years before me , so unless his account has been hacked, not a Troll .

That said , his post #7 contains at least a half dozen questions , and a thorough discussion of all would be book length .

Yeah, I noticed that about him too. Not quite as many posts as you, but definitely a long time member. So, I don't think he is trolling, but I do think that something happened in his life, or the life of a friend, to have him come here and ask so many questions on all these subjects.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Member Cold Steel is a gentleman, and of a certain age. We have had dealings and I find him to be a person of quality.
    Bob A vouches, and that says a lot to me.

Cold Steel, you have been around longer than many, including myself.

I apologize for my 'troll' comments, and if you are able to attend the next MDS function (oyster bash, late September?), it will be my pleasure to pay your freight, and raise a glass/cup with you.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Bob A vouches, and that says a lot to me.

Cold Steel, you have been around longer than many, including myself.

I apologize for my 'troll' comments, and if you are able to attend the next MDS function (oyster bash, late September?), it will be my pleasure to pay your freight, and raise a glass/cup with you.

Folks like you rock! :party29:

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Not Meaning to Skirt the Law...Nor Should You!

Yep, when I ask questions I don't mean anyone should attempt to answer them all, but if someone sees one question he or she could answer or if they might have a story to relate.... Generally looking for a gist if you know what I mean.

I used to carry illegally many years ago. Now I don't have the urge to do so nor do I go places where I need to carry. Besides, the ramifications are too severe. I no longer value my life quite as much as I used to, now that I'm getting older. A knife or pepper spray will do now. Or a baton.

Thanks, all. Appreciate the understanding! I spend a lot of time reading and writing and sometimes forget not everyone is as...prolific...with their time. I love reading everyone here and hope the time will come when we won't be on the losing side of things!

Attachments

• Letter From An Angry Reader.pdf
      226.3 KB · Views: 58

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    lol - I'll spend the rest of the week working on it and get back to you on Monday.

Where's that meme of a squinting Phillip Fry saying "not sure if serious...":D

But, in all seriousness...how many times are questions answered with, "You need to ask a lawyer?" Now, very often the circumstances are unique enough that that is truly the only way, but there are a lot of more general questions that no one wants to answer, too. Wouldn't it be nice to have a confirmed, lawyer stamped answer for some of them. :shrug: The questions certainly aren't going to stop being asked...

(We could still dogpile on them about not using the search function...don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take away everybody's fun:innocent0)

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I'm not seeking legal advice. I'm just curious as to the penalties and the overall view of Maryland judges. I'm also interested in hearing any stories of such arrests and convictions if you know any. (Years ago, I recall the story of a guy from Virginia who accidentally found himself making a wrong turn that put him on the Memorial Street Bridge. He had two rifles he used for hunting in the back window of his truck. He attempted to make a U turn at the end of the street, but a cop saw him and soon he was pulled over by more cops than the Pentagon on 911 (which hadn't happened yet). He was hauled off to jail and charged with illegal possession. LSS: the NRA came to his defense. An agreement was hammered out and DC agreed to return his guns. Well, he got off and DC was true to its word. The man's guns appeared to be hammered and when they were returned, the stocks had been broken. In fact, they appeared to have been placed in a vice and broken with a sledgehammer! He wanted to take legal action if I recall, but the NRA told him he was lucky to have escaped prosecution.)

For transporting in a car, I understand the gun or ammo must be stored in either the cabin or trunk of a car (as long as they're not in the same place), and the ammo stored in the trunk or cabin, depending where the gun is stored. Does the gun have to be secured in a locked airplane-type container? And if you're pulled over, do you have to tell the cop you've got the gun?

Since I've never been pulled over in Maryland, I don't know quite what to expect. If you do have a gun in the vehicle with you, are you under any legal obligation to inform the officer if you're pulled over?

Finally, what is the political persuasion of most cops in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties? Do they tend to be liberals and would most like to see CCWs granted in Maryland? I imagine the worst part of the state would be Baltimore.

Thanks for any elucidation! :cool:

Last I heard it was 5 years MANDATORY.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For violating 4-203 potential 3 years ( Prohibiting offense ) , with 30day minimum .

For 5yr mandatory, perhaps you are thinking of Use of Handgun for Crime of Violence .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The way I read it $250 could be the minimum ...although that's unlikely.

(i) except as provided in item (ii) of this paragraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 30 days and not exceeding 3 years or a fine of not less than $250 and not exceeding $2,500 or both; or

And I believe 4-203 only applies to handguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom