Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 10th, 2020, 07:03 AM #31

Does anyone run or have experience running RCBS Prochuckers? Im a fan of RCBS products (been running a rock chucker for years) but taken back a little by the prices on the progressives. Curious if there are benefits in their presses to justify to premium.
TrappedinMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 08:06 AM #32

Everything I have read is avoid the Lee and RCBS progressives

Dillon and Hornady for progressives.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 08:21 AM #33

I started reloading years back and progressives were still in the RCBS inline progressive stage. I reloaded ALOT on
a Lee original turret press. Then both Lee and Dillon began offering progressives, this was 1984 or so. I read advertisements
on the Lee three station Pro and the four station Dillon 450B. I liked Lee's products but looking the presses over in the ads,
I couldn't go with the Lee, too much engineering in the Dillon drew me to it. So I popped the bigger bucks and no qualms in
the years since.
Old April 10th, 2020, 10:32 AM #34
For great Justice

For great Justice

Have a Hornady LNL AP with case feeder, moved up from a Lee pro1000(familiar with the 4 hole pro 4000 and Loadmaster), and have used a Dillon 650, have only seen the XL750. IMO for high volume of 1 or 2 calibers, get a 750, medium to high volume of several calibers, Hornady LNL, absolute cheapest way to get into progressive reloading, but experienced enough to spot frequent problems, can try the Lee.

The Lee worked, barely, primers are easy to load up with the flip tray, but it won't feed the last few primers by design, and everything being plastic gets jammed up with dirt and scuffed by moving metal parts, causing more jams. It's not smooth, not precise, lots of flex, and not much leverage, so it works, but slowly, and with a lot of stoppages, mostly jammed, missed or flipped primers. The old 3 hole design required another setup or another press to use common post sizing/crimp dies instead of crimping with a bullet seater die, but the pro 4000 and loadmaster have 4 and 5 stations respectively. The 4 hole pro 4000 and loadmaster still include the same crappy primer chute and pull chain powder reset on the crappy auto-disk powder measure. The Lee presses need separate parts to convert primer sizes, otherwise tool heads are cheap and easy to swap, shell holders are cheap and easy to swap, the carriage/ shell holder assemblies are cheap enough to swap a couple frequently loaded calibers quickly, powder measure sucks.

I bought a LNL AP with case feeder, it's a huge step up from Lee, includes feeder parts and priming parts for most calibers, just need easily swappable shell plates and feeder wheels, the LNL die adapters are really quick and nice to swap individual dies around if you want to use it as a single stage for things like decapping or sizing with lube, then reconfigure to load cleaned/sized rifle brass, best around IMO. The primer system is great, sliding bar style with tubes, add a vibrating tube loader, and primer filling is fast and easy, knock off some casting flash and burrs, and it feeds 100%. Best powder measure in the buisness, includes all parts for rifle or pistol adjusters, can but extra quick detatch adjusters to pre-set frequent loads without having to buy complete measures, has a kit to bell pistol cases in order to allow a bullet feeder. The bullet feeder is expensive, and the rifle and pistol feeders are not compatible, you can load bullet tubes, or just drop bullets down a bullet feeder die to speed things up a little compared to setting by hand from a tray. The press has a few sharp edges, burrs and casting flash, most of it doesn't matter, but some does in critical spots on moving parts like the underside of the primer shuttle, it runs smooth, indexing 1/2 station on the upstroke, and 1/2 on the downstroke, but the sharp edges on the detent pockets under the shell plate made it jiggle a little powder out of some cases, chamfering the edge and a little grease under the shell plate makes it click into position smooth and steady. The handle is uncomfortable, but lots of leverage, there are aftermarket roller handles available. Once setup it runs nice and smooth, maybe a minor stoppage or flipped peice of brass every 100-300 rounds. Good primer system, great powder measure, great die system, good for swapping several calibers, decent quality, some tweaks to keep it running well.

The Dillon 650 was my first choice when upgrading from the Lee, it is the gold, or more accurately Blue standard in reloading, used a couple and got the hang of it. Caliber swaps are decently quick, but expensive, it uses swappable tool heads, so you can swap calibers quick, but still have to remove/adjust individual dies to change configurations, like sizing lubed brass in one step, then finishing cleaned/sized brass separately. The primer feeder is reliable, a little carousel, but it dumps good primers if there isn't a case present unlike the Hornady which won't feed new primers till it needs to. The powder measure uses a charge bar, works, but not as good as Hornady. Once set tyhough it runs nearly 100%, the case feeder is better, as is the bullet feeder, and it comes with a roller handle. The press is finished better, and the new 750 basically uses a similar primer shuttle to the Hornady, and runs a bit smoother. So 650 OK priming system(good on the 750), good powder measure, Good swappable tool heads, expensive to swap many calibers, but good to use for one or two, especially if they share primer sizes or shell plates, great quality, few tweaks needed.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins

Last edited by alucard0822; April 10th, 2020 at 03:54 PM.
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 11:09 AM #35
Registered Grendelophile

Registered Grendelophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
If I put lock ring adapters on my dies, will they still fit into the original red plastic lee die box or do I have co come up with a separate storage system?
The lids will not snap closed with the lock rings installed.
Old April 10th, 2020, 02:08 PM #36

Quote:
If I put lock ring adapters on my dies, will they still fit into the original red plastic lee die box or do I have co come up with a separate storage system?
You can buy deeper die boxes from Hornady for not much money

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...r-hornady-dies)
Mdphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:31 PM #37

I ran a Lee Loadmaster for a while, then the divorce hit. I literally JUST NOW got it out to setup. It always ran fine, except the primer system did screw up quite a bit. I have recently done some research, and gonna give it a try again. To get the Dillon 750, with case feeder and everything else,,, you are up to $1300 +. I talked to a friend of mine who ran a Lee 1000, then a Dillon 650, he loved the Dillon, but said the Lee did the job fine. He found a great deal on the 650 used, still ended up over $1000. His recommendation to me was get the Loadmaster running again. So that is what I'm doing.

People laugh at me because I am different,, I laugh 'cause they are all the same.

Life time NRA member
THier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:40 PM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by THier View Post
I ran a Lee Loadmaster for a while, then the divorce hit. I literally JUST NOW got it out to setup. It always ran fine, except the primer system did screw up quite a bit. I have recently done some research, and gonna give it a try again. To get the Dillon 750, with case feeder and everything else,,, you are up to $1300 +. I talked to a friend of mine who ran a Lee 1000, then a Dillon 650, he loved the Dillon, but said the Lee did the job fine. He found a great deal on the 650 used, still ended up over $1000. His recommendation to me was get the Loadmaster running again. So that is what I'm doing.
As I said before I have the Hornady LnL I hand prime never even took the priming pieces out of the box. By the time you load the primers in the tubes you arent losing that much time. I use the Frankfort Arsenal hand primer which I love and is much better then the Lee hand primers I used for years. I can hand prime 600+ cases an hour with the FA
Old April 21st, 2020, 06:23 PM #39

Loaded up a batch of 308 for when the virus is over. As I was sitting there trimming case mouths, a thought occurred. Is there an on press solution for progressive case trimming and deburring, or is that always done by hand? I have taken to prepping a batch of cases after i'm finished seating bullets, just so next time I can start with the fun part.
Old April 21st, 2020, 06:45 PM #40

Quote:
Loaded up a batch of 308 for when the virus is over. As I was sitting there trimming case mouths, a thought occurred. Is there an on press solution for progressive case trimming and deburring, or is that always done by hand? I have taken to prepping a batch of cases after i'm finished seating bullets, just so next time I can start with the fun part.
Dillon makes a press top casr trimmer

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rt15...8_8_26199.html

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading