• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I am looking at getting a Chargemaster 1500 and it is barely used (reportedly 3 times) but has been sitting on a shelf in the original packaging for a few years. Is there a shelf life on these units? Is the sitting something I should be worried about? How long should these last?

I have been using a chargemaster lite so am just looking to get a second powder dispenser.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I don't think there is anything on the instrument, other than the warranty, that degrades with time. (Assuming a relatively non-corrosive environment.) You might want to check it with some standard masses to see if it boots up and calibrates properly, and measures without drift.

I've had mine for several years.
    Excellent machine.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I would be more worried about how it was handled than how long it was sitting on the shelf. For example, was the scale used for punting practice or did it fall off a tall shelf that it was sitting on?

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I have one that is old can't remember how old but I would guess 7 or 8 years maybe older. It still works but I've noticed it drifting lately so I replaced it with a new Chargemaster. I also have a Matchmaster. If you get it for a fair price I would say go for it.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I have that unit. If it was stored in the original box, it's pretty resilient to bumps and stuff. Mine came with 2 weights to check calibration with. Do that before you buy it. I'd also run a few charges of cheap powder through it to ensure the dispenser tube works. Bring along some compressed air to clean it out with in case you decide not to purchase. Also, pull out the black scale plate and make sure there isn't any powder or other material in the little gap that would cause it to malfunction. Make sure all the screw-in feet are on it so you can level it appropriately. Mine has worked for years and saves me a LOT of time with all kinds of loads though it doesn't like 4064 much. Not a good solution for pistol reloading though IMHO. Takes too long.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I have one that is old can't remember how old but I would guess 7 or 8 years maybe older. It still works but I've noticed it drifting lately so I replaced it with a new Chargemaster. I also have a Matchmaster. If you get it for a fair price I would say go for it.

Well then.

I've never heard of a Matchmaster but now I think I might really need it...

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I would love an autotrickler or a matchmaster but dont shoot past 500 enough to make it worth it. I am thinking one day I might sell my chargemaster lite and this new chargemaster to help finance an autotrickler but I need to shooting competitions before thatll likely happen.

I am still on the fence about buying the one I was looking at due to price. It's an ok deal and is local but I have seen them going for 30 to 50 cheaper online. I am just sick of the constant waiting for a charge to be ready when I am doing 100 to 200 cases

Maher1510

Mar 23, 2015
    Frederick
    I would love an autotrickler or a matchmaster but dont shoot past 500 enough to make it worth it. I am thinking one day I might sell my chargemaster lite and this new chargemaster to help finance an autotrickler but I need to shooting competitions before thatll likely happen.

I am still on the fence about buying the one I was looking at due to price. It's an ok deal and is local but I have seen them going for 30 to 50 cheaper online. I am just sick of the constant waiting for a charge to be ready when I am doing 100 to 200 cases

Have you messed with the settings any? I reprogrammed my following a YouTube video and sped it up quite a bit.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Well then.

I've never heard of a Matchmaster but now I think I might really need it...

I got one of the first ones released and it was junk. I contacted RCBS and they helped me reprogram it and it worked better. They called me to see how it was and I explained I should not need to reprogram a 900 scale, they agreed and sent a new one. It works great. If I had to do it all over again I would’ve ordered a AutoTrickler.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I got one of the first ones released and it was junk. I contacted RCBS and they helped me reprogram it and it worked better. They called me to see how it was and I explained I should not need to reprogram a 900 scale, they agreed and sent a new one. It works great. If I had to do it all over again I would’ve ordered a AutoTrickler.

Autotrickler dispenses 39.0gr of H4350 in 7 seconds.

I have 2 chargmasters and wish I had 1 autotrickler also

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Drift on these units can be the result of a static charge buildup. This can be alleviated with the use of a laundry static spray. (Don't bother emailing RCBS as you will just get a boilerplate response and the name of a company that will work on your unit for $$$.)

I have posted on this subject before, but will reiterate here:

1) If you want charges dispensed fairly quickly (fairly quick with factory programming), precision will be good.
    2) Simple modifications dramatically improve precision, even with factory programming. (Reduce orifice size at both ends of discharge tube.)
    3) If faster dispensing is desired, reprogramming is easily done, but dispensed precision will be lower.
    4) If higher precision is desired, reprogramming is easily done, but dispensing speed is sacrificed.
    5) There is no need to buy a Matchmaster for improved precision, just reprogram the Chargemaster 1500.
    6) Drift and scale issues can often be fixed with the simple application of a static reducing product. (I use "Static Guard".)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom