• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    I have only used Colt mags. I think they're great. I've heard problems with el cheapo brands. A Colt set up lends itself more easily to use normal bolt catch and mag release too, while most Glock types I've seen have more specialty parts and controls. My only gripe is, while I don't own any Glock's, having that compatibility is not a bad thing if I do ever get one. I don't think either would be a bad choice.

I have thousands of rounds through my AR9. It's standard AR-15 lower with a drop in adapter. I have never broken my bolt catch. It's just a generic Anderson one that came in a LPK. Just make sure your bolt stops traveling just past the catch. About 1/8". The problem is people use standard length buffers, that gives too much travel for your bolt to ram into the catch, like swinging a hammer vs tapping.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Im building a Glock style one. Many say that Glock mags by nature are more reliable than the Colt mags. Then many people have Colt pattern 9mm's and have no issue. Me as well dont own any pistols and dont already have Glock mags.

I will say the 9mm Glock pattern has grown alot and I feel theres more parts for them than the Colt Style when it used to be the opposite. They are also making lowers that take MP5 mags now and even the Scurpion Evo mags as well. Glock magazines will be the most common though to find.

LRBHO- I bought an upper reciever that features it. It has a "hook" that comes down with the follower pushes on which pushes on the bolt catch. Ive seen some lowers with a sophisticated "bar" that is the LRBHO. But from what I read for the Glock style, the LRBHO in the Upper is better. It seems simpler and will probably be more reliable.

Colt Style- Usually just included with the bolt catch. Nothing special,just a normal AR Bolt Hold open. Magazines designed for it.

Neither would affect reliability because it actuates the Bolt Catch which is present anyhow. Its more of a reliablity issue of whether or not it locks the bolt back everytime. It might not or different mags might fail to do that more so with the Glock style.

Another thing is the Colt lowers have feed ramps where the Glock Style, the magazine lips and the barrel opening are the feed ramp. So it has to make that jump. Usually not an issue but ive seen a manufacture or two selling Glock "feed ramps". Just a piece of metal that helps bridge the gap. But most dont need that.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Neither.
    CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback with AR15 9mm conversión mags.
    Last round hold open.
    Shoots soft, works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I made my Colt pattern 9mm lower (DDLES/now QC10) run with a CMMG RDB upper. I had to remove the ejector, and file down/recontour the feed ramp. The mag catch also needed to be filed down, so the mags sat lower.

Why? My lower is a registered SBR. Pre-13 so is a 22” rifle. I don’t want a 29” rifle. It wasn’t hard.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you are looking for a nice build north of 1k, really consider the MPX, AR-ish, but locking breech for light recoil and reliable function. I built primarily GLOCK based, bit some Colt based. Colt mags can be finicky, can use an adapter or dedicated lower, LRBHO is standard and works. GLOCK mag lowers need the ejector and LRBHO to be tweaked usually, but feeding from factory mags seems to be more reliable, with a lot more options.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I made my Colt pattern 9mm lower (DDLES/now QC10) run with a CMMG RDB upper. I had to remove the ejector, and file down/recontour the feed ramp. The mag catch also needed to be filed down, so the mags sat lower.

Why? My lower is a registered SBR. Pre-13 so is a 22” rifle. I don’t want a 29” rifle. It wasn’t hard.

Polished up the new feed ramps I made. Cycles fine. Need to get to my MIL’s and see how it shoots.

Attachments

• 10D0196F-98FB-409C-B778-DFAE4EDCE729.jpg
      10D0196F-98FB-409C-B778-DFAE4EDCE729.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 231
    • 7AD31207-9872-402B-956C-3580D97D246C.jpg
      7AD31207-9872-402B-956C-3580D97D246C.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 257
    • 81D6DBE3-FB79-44D0-A94A-7887FE7324A2.jpg
      81D6DBE3-FB79-44D0-A94A-7887FE7324A2.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 242

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I'll knock both of mine out and send them to you ? Hollow points do not feed at all on my CMMG colt style PCC's

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom