Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:27 PM #11
Me Myself & I

Me Myself & I

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
We sell UVC bulbs for HVAC systems. We made a Sheetmetal box with a bulb in it to decontaminate our face masks. We could use it for the mail as well.

This! A few companies make UV boxes, but all you need is the bulb, a box, tinfoil and good to go
Bboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:31 PM #12
Wish I lived in America

Wish I lived in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscat View Post
Good lord! Why don't we all just curl up in a ball in the corner of the room and wait. Has the fear set in this bad?
I've had a quad bypass, the result of having a heart attack on a shipwreck in a 2 knot current. I tried real hard to be dead that day, but it didn't take. It does mean, however, I'm likely an at risk person and being prudent.

I don't plan to risk this stupid virus over other people's idiot behavior in public.
Maryland Wear and Carry
Utah and PA non-resident CCW
Jake4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:33 PM #13
Wish I lived in America

Wish I lived in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
We sell UVC bulbs for HVAC systems. We made a Sheetmetal box with a bulb in it to decontaminate our face masks. We could use it for the mail as well.
That's slick. Contact local hospitals to see if they'd want something like that for their PPE.
Maryland Wear and Carry
Old March 23rd, 2020, 06:26 PM #14

Lots of information and studies coming out and I'm citing this paper if you have access. Many reports suggest that SARS-Cov2 can last hours to days depending on the surface. Coppers and Cardboard (probably mail envelopes too, but not sure) about a day if they're heavily contaminated. Stainless steel and Plastic hours to days. I think the best advice for you and all members here is to be absolutely vigilant with handling anything outside of your home. Set up a mail station where you unwrap stuff. I find it incredibly unlikely that you would get infected by coronavirus by breathing the air around contaminated mail/packages. Wash your hands before you touch the product and clean it if necessary. I am an infectious disease researcher at JHU and all the advice we're giving to families and loved ones is to wash, wash wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many times people touch their eyes, nose and mouth daily.

Using heat, disinfectant or UV lights might work but there is absolutely no studies for those with this particular virus. These methods work for other pathogens, but there have been no studies with the coronavirus. Therefore, the tried and true method of washing hands and avoiding people is your safest and most practical solution to staying healthy. I hope everyone stays sane out there!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 06:49 PM #15
Wish I lived in America

Wish I lived in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Lots of information and studies coming out and I'm citing this paper if you have access. Many reports suggest that SARS-Cov2 can last hours to days depending on the surface. Coppers and Cardboard (probably mail envelopes too, but not sure) about a day if they're heavily contaminated. Stainless steel and Plastic hours to days. I think the best advice for you and all members here is to be absolutely vigilant with handling anything outside of your home. Set up a mail station where you unwrap stuff. I find it incredibly unlikely that you would get infected by coronavirus by breathing the air around contaminated mail/packages. Wash your hands before you touch the product and clean it if necessary. I am an infectious disease researcher at JHU and all the advice we're giving to families and loved ones is to wash, wash wash your hands. You'd be surprised how many times people touch their eyes, nose and mouth daily.

Using heat, disinfectant or UV lights might work but there is absolutely no studies for those with this particular virus. These methods work for other pathogens, but there have been no studies with the coronavirus. Therefore, the tried and true method of washing hands and avoiding people is your safest and most practical solution to staying healthy. I hope everyone stays sane out there!
Thanks for this. Our son is an EMT/Firefighter and daughter-in-law an OB/Gyn and they are working very hard to not catch it given the work they do. What we're doing with mail and packages was from their suggestions, but like you wrote, it's too new for many studies on its viability on surfaces or airborne. It does seem way nastier than the annual flu.
Maryland Wear and Carry
Old March 23rd, 2020, 06:50 PM #16
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Unless I read it wrong. You still wear the gloves when you bring the stuff in.
Shouldn't the gloves stay outside, since you're confident the contents aren't contaminated? I don't know.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 07:05 PM #17
Cynical Smartass

Cynical Smartass

I have a box already installed in my house. I pre-screen only certain pieces.
Attached Images

If the liberals and their Deep State puppet masters were not planning to do something bad to the American people, then why do they want to disarm us? - unknown
Glaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 07:17 PM #18

I didn't really explain that part very well. The gloves I use for this activity are those cheap thin plastic gloves used by food workers. I bought 500 from Amazon for a few bucks. Keep some in both vehicles to use for things like getting gas, although I am no longer going out of the house, haven't been out for 3 weeks. Getting back to handling the mail. Originally I spritzed a spray of alcohol on the gloves before removing the mail from envelopes and packages figuring that would disinfect the gloves preventing contamination of the contents. More recently I have modified the procedure. I remove one glove and remove contents with that hand while holding envelope or package with the gloved hand. I then carry the mail or item inside in the ungloved hand. After setting down the mail/item I remove and dispose of the second glove. I immediately wash my hands. I wipe down the door handles, along with frequently used door knobs, light switches, faucets, toilet handles, kitchen countertops, etc. twice a day with a disposable disinfectant cloth.
LiveSteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 07:32 PM #19

Has nobody seen this? It's the cure we've all been looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBgM_yAkbQk
Old March 23rd, 2020, 07:50 PM #20
Get off my lawn

Get off my lawn

If there is no metal in the letters, what about putting them into the microwave for 10 seconds? Not long enough to start a fire, but wouldn't that kill any bio hazard?

For boxes, what about using alcohol from the paint department in a hand sprayer to dampen the box? (I know we don't want to use that on our skin)
Jeffrey A. Perkins Heated Debate JUL 27, 2015 post #15 (on http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-y...ry-guns-public ) Our government was tasked with protecting freedoms and should it fail, our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of those freedoms is not necessary.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers

Tags
you're all wrong