• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Been meaning to post about this 2018 Christmas gift from Mrs. GnR. It’s a minty 1957 (399XXX) Model 70 Standard, chambered in .270 Winchester. Getting harder to find these in all-original condition, as many have been modified in various subtle ways. This one is rumored to have fired less than 20 rounds. Acquired FTF, from a close friend (and member here).

Growing up when I did and reading all the outdoors books and magazines I could get my hands on, it was inevitable that I’d run into Jack O’Connor. I became a follower of his at an early age and came to believe everything Jack had to say about hunting, and the “Rifleman’s Rifle”, and how 62 grains of IMR4831 behind a 130-grain .277 bullet would drop a whitetail deer like Thor’s hammer …

I was a big Elmer Kieth fan too, and since he and Jack were often in conflict, I found myself in both camps, with no money, and needing at least twice as many firearms in twice as many calibers. My maternal Grandfather hunted in the mountains of WV for everything from vermin to whitetail deer. He was decidedly in Jack’s high-velocity camp and would hold forth on the virtues of speed while he instructed and then observed my reloading in his basement and then in ours. More recently (since the mid-90s), federal and sate politics had been nudging me deeper and deeper into the world of sporting rifles and higher (and higher) tech optics. All the while, this Rifle/caliber combination had remained at the top of my bucket list for the past 45 years or so, but it took Mrs. GNR to finally “pull the trigger”:

Attachments

• IMG_0080 small.jpg
      IMG_0080 small.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 326

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Lucky guy

Looks like you got a couple of keepers there, that classic Winchester and a great wife. How’s that Winnie group’em?

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Looks like you got a couple of keepers there, that classic Winchester and a great wife. How’s that Winnie group’em?

Ashamed to admit that I haven't fired it yet. No excuse is adequate ... but my benches were taken out by 2 big trees in a windstorm and it took awhile to recover from that. Still not done.

Awesome. Thank you for sharing.

It’s always great when the MRS surprises you. I once got a 1957 Belgian Browning A5 the very same way.

Nice, love those old A5s!

Turns out '57 was good for more than cars!

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    That is a sweet piece. Amazing it doesn't have a scope on it.

Thanks!

Yep, another thing I've been slow to act on is what to do about a scope. From more than 4 decades of gifts, purchases and horse trading, I’ve collected a pretty good collection of vintage (50s and 60s) scopes from Lyman, Weaver, Redfield, B&L, Leupold, and others. Lots of mounts and rings too. Jack (from OP) would probably recommend a 4X Leupold. Although I do have one, I’m thinking about mounting something with higher and variable magnification - open to suggestions though.

I'll see what I already have. I'm leaning towards vintage, but I do want to take it hunting in WV. Concerned about fogging and light gathering with a vintage, less than perfect scope. But then, when I'm huffing and puffing on the way up the mountain, no scope is fog-proof - this I know! :)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Nice rifle you have there. Made my longest kill shot on a whitetail, that just happened to be the county record for that year, with one just like it.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Really nice Pre 64 Model 70 arguably the best bolt action rifle ever made. I've had several and anytime I can add a nice one to the collection I do.

This 220 Swift I had restored, found it cheap in rough condition.

Attachments

• IMG_7436.jpg
      IMG_7436.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 164

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Nice rifle you have there. Made my longest kill shot on a whitetail, that just happened to be the county record for that year, with one just like it.

Very cool and congratulations on that record!

I've been using a .270 WSM in WV. When I look at the applied differences where I'll hunt with it, even at 95 years old, I won't be under-gunned with the .270 win.

Really nice Pre 64 Model 70 arguably the best bolt action rifle ever made. I've had several and anytime I can add a nice one to the collection I do.

This 220 Swift I had restored, found it cheap in rough condition.

That is one beautiful rifle - impressive work on that restoration!

Always had a thing for the .220 Swift. Don't have one at the moment, but do have a 22-250, close but no cigar ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom