• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Looks like something John Wayne carried but with the firepower of an AR.

I can't imagine Sgt. Stryker carrying anything but a M1 Garand. Col. Kirby carried an M16 plus he had a Thompson in a couple of movies...don't know if he would have carried a Mini-14...maybe if the role demanded it. Hannibal Smith liked the Mini though.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    After reading this short thread, I'm going to pull out my Mini14 and fondle it. It's been a long time since I laid my hands on it.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Just play the theme music from the "A-Team" and say "I love it when a plan comes together". I still wish I bought a factory folder mini while I had the chance.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don't believe I would brag about fondling my "Mini"...that could be misconstrued. :lol2:

:D

It actually has been awhile since I touched it. I was thinking about going to the range (AGC) tomorrow but the it's going to be windy. Not that i really care about precision hits @ 100yds with her. As long as I'm getting them in a fist sized circle at that range... I'm happy.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I just had my Mini out a few days ago. I use the Tapco Gen II mags as well, with no cycling issues or FTF / FTE what so ever. However....

When loading the first round, when I pull the bolt back, it seems like it is contacting the mag and putting drag on it. Sometimes it doesn't carry all the way forward, and I have to help it. Only on the first round every other round feeds just fine.

Anyone else have that happening?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    :D

It actually has been awhile since I touched it. I was thinking about going to the range (AGC) tomorrow but the it's going to be windy. Not that i really care about precision hits @ 100yds with her. As long as I'm getting them in a fist sized circle at that range... I'm happy.

Fist sized is about what I get when I really concentrate. The Tech Sites really help. Whomever designed their rear sight should be given a talking to....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I just had my Mini out a few days ago. I use the Tapco Gen II mags as well, with no cycling issues or FTF / FTE what so ever. However....

When loading the first round, when I pull the bolt back, it seems like it is contacting the mag and putting drag on it. Sometimes it doesn't carry all the way forward, and I have to help it. Only on the first round every other round feeds just fine.

Anyone else have that happening?

I've never had that problem. Does that happen with all your mags, or just one?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Got the Ultimak rail mounted, the knob for the stock Aimpoint PRO mount is huge and does not allow it to fully tighten down due to clearance issues with the rail.

Loosening the knob it does not come all the way off.. Dont want to force it and break something. Looking at other options I see another aftermarket mount made for the PRO but its over $200.

Does the knob for these come off or is made to be one time on and no removal ? A nylon lock nut would be more than enough to secure it, I dont intend to remove it often.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Got the Ultimak rail mounted, the knob for the stock Aimpoint PRO mount is huge and does not allow it to fully tighten down due to clearance issues with the rail.

Loosening the knob it does not come all the way off.. Dont want to force it and break something. Looking at other options I see another aftermarket mount made for the PRO but its over $200.

Does the knob for these come off or is made to be one time on and no removal ? A nylon lock nut would be more than enough to secure it, I dont intend to remove it often.

You need this: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-QD-Mount-for-Aimpoint-Pro-and-CompM4-p/mi-qdapm.htm
    It replaces the knob base with a lever.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Any interest in an AC556?

Attachments

• A1E8D143-F3C2-4302-B83B-7AF44C92A1C9.jpeg
      A1E8D143-F3C2-4302-B83B-7AF44C92A1C9.jpeg
      78.3 KB · Views: 406

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

I have the Ultimak rail also. I used a Bushnell TRS-25 as the optic and put the Aimpoint on a different rifle.

The TRS-25 seems to suit the gun better IMHO.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    When I win the PCH $5000 a week for life yes. This is going to be my first NFA gun when the money allows. Got to carry one exactly like this while in Somalia.

I have a friend selling one, if you’re interested I might be able to convince him to allow “terms”. He only collects the best of the best and most of his items are NIB or as close as he can possibly find.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Any retailers in the area have a mini-14 on the shelf ? or even a mini-30. Leaning towards one but before I plunk down $$ I would like to hold one and make sure its going to 'feel right' and not be too small/length of pull be not enough for myself.
    6'5 here. Used to adjusting to rifle. Prefer my AR in terms of length of pull but I really don't have issue with my mini-14. Look for a newer one with a small taper at stock end of barrel. Had both older and newer. The newer are a bit more accurate and hold that when barrel gets warmed up. My experience with older non-tapered barrel is grouping opened up as barrel got hot. Neither are precision shooters though. My humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Got the midwest industries mount. Now its time for an adjustable gas block. Accuracy seems ok, this thing really destroys the case mouths on their way out.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Got it all put together and maybe done for now.

$862 for rifle.

$410 for 15 genuine 20 rounders via the VA connection :cool:

$150 for top rail.

$440 for the Aimpoint PRO

$75 for M-I mount for ^^

$150 gas block

$50 leather sling and mounts (all US made).

The most expensive gun in the tribe for sure.

I've been shooting some commercially reloaded .223, Wolf gold .223 and federal cheapo .223

The reloaded stuff is fine but very inconsistent from round to round, gotta run the gas block more open. The Wolf is hot and consistent, federal is not quite as hot but consistent as well. Accuracy is fine for my eyesight and expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom