• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Ruger mini 30 or other styles. Have a sks which I like , dropped a few deer with it. Buttttt like the Ruger and also been looking at ar in that caliber. Just looking for opinions. Been wanting 9mm carbine (ar) also something I can shoot at indoor range . Been wanting a Ruger Vaquero for a long time . But every time I get the money buy something else. Have get it while you can fear. Figure always get a cowboy gun. Don’t have a Glock, could scope the 44. Upgrade 1 of my rifles or get a new rifle.maybe new red dot on one , would like nice bipod on my ar10. Like those Taurus wheel 38.Wife is pretty cool about stuff but I only get to pick one these days and it’s time this year. What do I need hmmmm nothing really but a hole lot of wants.By the way if anyone remembers haven’t had another issue with my Sig226.Anyone else have trouble deciding. Really want a Mississippi rifle ,love the black powder also. Ah ha I will by the wife a new ring .Glad that thought went away , Christmas is her time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's a mouthful .

I see the reference to " could scope the 44 " , but didn't see the antecedents for what was the "44" .

But get a Vaquero is always a good answer ( unless it's Get a Blackhawk ) .

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    sks is superior to mini 30. sold mine, hardly pie plate accurate at 100. hard to find mags that work, higher cap that is. buy something else, enjoy the sks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    a glock is always a really good answer.

if you want to see toyland, go spectate a uspsa and/or 3 gun match, that will give you plenty to want (need).

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    So, was there an actual question in the OP or is this whats going through your mind as you walk the aisles if the local gun shop?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I thought about a mini 30 for awhile, decided against it after listening to the internet. A lot of negatives, not many positives. Maybe get an AR in either 300BO or 6.5 Grendel. Not x39.

I understand the wants, kinda like breaking your diet at a buffet. To much eye candy. :D

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I have 3 9mm carbines. Ammo is cheap and they are fun to shoot. I would say get the Ruger 9mm Carbine. The price is right and you get a lot for the money.

You could also get a Glock pistol and a Mech-Tech carbine conversion for it. Kill two birds with one stone. Have two guns but buy really only one. I have this system and it works great.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    SKS is a great design. The great drawbacks for me have always been the magazine design (ironic since Simonov designed it for a detachable mag) and the potential for slamfires with that big block of a firing pin carrier bolt. For indoor range use and general fun can't beat a 9mm AR IMHO. Cheap to shoot, can shoot at most any range, and you can still tinker with it like a .223 caliber AR.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Have 44 super Redhawk. Yes guess I was rambling on with my thoughts. Think I shall pass on the mini30. Thinking 9 carbiine . ( until I get there looking around again ) thanks all

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Well it’s been awhile,if your curios bought an Ruger Vaquero 357 from Cindy’s hot shots the new range in Glenburnie. Really enjoy going there . ( it’s the old select fire). Anyway was going to put optic on 44 super redhawk , I really was buttt was watching some good ole John Wayne movies so went and shot my bearcat22 , only cowboy pistol I had and low and behold there was the vaquero in the case , used but in great condition and price even better . Man I enjoy shooting it . On my way to SASS. Tried it a couple times like it more than modern 3 gun .to each there own. Anyway guys I made a decision. By the way anybody have something on top there 44 handgun, please share .looking for options.Been looking at a tru-dot I believe it’s called , real curios if ya drill/tap a base or used the screw type . Heard they can not hold up so well do to recoil. Happy new year

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    SKS is a great design. The great drawbacks for me have always been the magazine design (ironic since Simonov designed it for a detachable mag) and the potential for slamfires with that big block of a firing pin carrier bolt. For indoor range use and general fun can't beat a 9mm AR IMHO. Cheap to shoot, can shoot at most any range, and you can still tinker with it like a .223 caliber AR.

It's a bitch to get that firing pin retaining pin punched out of that bolt. For sure. :sad20: Broke one punch and bent two others on my first SKS disassembly/cleaning.

I currently have a second SKS stored away, still lathered up in cosmoline. Maybe the next future owner of it can tackle that firing pin retaining pin... :innocent0

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I say, find your POU (philosophy of use) and see how it applies to practical use.

Example: it’s not practical to get a 50bmg if you can only shoot pistols at an indoor range that you frequent. It’s not practical to put a red dot site on a gun that has the intended POU of 300+ yard shots. They are both fun, but might not fit your POU.

I know a guy that got an 18-20 inch ar-10 in 308 with a red dot and 1-4 magnification on it... for home defense. Not a bad setup, I don’t think the POu matches though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    You have a large list, I bought the Ruger PC9 great carbine not a lot of money very reliable and fun to shoot. I use it indoor and out door ranges. As for deer I bought a 30-06 rifle and a Mossberg 500 shotgun which covers what er I want to hunt. That PC9 is hard to put down, Ruger made a great firearm. Just my thoughts.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Well it’s been awhile,if your curios bought an Ruger Vaquero 357 from Cindy’s hot shots the new range in Glenburnie. Really enjoy going there . ( it’s the old select fire). Anyway was going to put optic on 44 super redhawk , I really was buttt was watching some good ole John Wayne movies so went and shot my bearcat22 , only cowboy pistol I had and low and behold there was the vaquero in the case , used but in great condition and price even better . Man I enjoy shooting it . On my way to SASS. Tried it a couple times like it more than modern 3 gun .to each there own. Anyway guys I made a decision. By the way anybody have something on top there 44 handgun, please share .looking for options.Been looking at a tru-dot I believe it’s called , real curios if ya drill/tap a base or used the screw type . Heard they can not hold up so well do to recoil. Happy new year

You made a great choice! I have two New Vaqueros in 357 ( I put checkered fake aged ivory Altamont grips on them), with an eye towards cowboy shooting. I have a lever 1873, and need a SxS shotgun now.

Did you get the New or original? barrel length?

codydog

Jul 24, 2013
    Look at a Beretta CX4 Storm. You can get in either PX4 or 92/96 mag's depending on caliber. You can get factory 92 (9mm) mags up to 30 rounds. Beretta has other accessories. My wife loves hers.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Guess it’s the original Vaquero with the 4.67 barrel I think , top of my head not sure .Its not the long barrel . Has wood grips not sure type of wood from previous owner . At first I wanted to replace them but now I am used to them , kinda big in the hand . What I seen on line that looked like them they are pretty pricey. Want another one and the lever action. It’s just so hard to stay on track . Big on buying if it’s a deal . Getting that time of year again and whatever I get this year will probably be 9mm or 38/357. Started reloading , well getting there bought a Dillon 550 , bunch of stuff guy sold because he wasn’t reloading anymore. Think he was getting deployed/ headed over seas. Although been looking at Glocks ,don’t have one. Like my Sig. Like the one fellow said pou ( philosophy of use ) hmmm. I’m thinking .Really want an M14 or 1903 . M14 in Md though , ya I know 6.5 . 1903 would be nice . I have a special place for arms used by the Marines. Here I go again. Pretty sure a lever action. Definitely needs some reload dies. What you all gonna get . Want to get into the cowboy stuff and want my own tools gone like borrowing if I can help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom