Building cheaper than buying in this environment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For most of you in Maryland, just go to a local shop and pick up a stripped lower or three. Then you actually "own an AR" prior to any mischief your government may come up with.

^^^This^^^

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Building is about gaining the experience in my opinion or rather, experiencing the process. It also makes you more knowledgeable about the firearm itself and a better troubleshooter.
    If you buy an assembled upper, most people just need a cheap $15 punch set. Roll pin starter punches will help , but not absolutely required.

The added cost to building is the time. Time to research, time to build, time to fix mistakes etc. Not EVERYONE does it perfect the first time.

Building also lets you go pistol with brace I think alot cheaper though if you want to go that route.

Your either that kinds of person or your not. I built my AR or is it ARs?, don't recall if I have more than one or not :)

I like to shoot on a regular bases. Offhand at 100 yards at steel. I"m a Giessele trigger fan boy.

Seems like time is in large availability for doing projects for the next month or so for many people.

Good Luck.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Here you go, start out with a stripped lower for $49.95 and then buy parts for it as you can afford it:

Wonder what "machined from forged 7075" means. So, is it a "billet" lower or a "forged" lower?

If I was in the market, I doubt I would hesitate to buy something like this. Only hesitation might be the transfer fee versus finding it at a Maryland FFL in the first place.

Billet is a loose term. Basically one piece.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/billet

billet noun (2)

Definition of billet (Entry 3 of 3)
    1a : a chunky piece of wood (as for firewood)
    b obsolete : cudgel
    2a : a bar of metal
    b : a piece of semifinished iron or steel nearly square in section made by rolling an ingot or bloom
    c : a section of nonferrous metal ingot hot-worked by forging, rolling, or extrusion
    d : a nonferrous casting suitable for rolling or extrusion

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Don't forget to factor in the gunsmith tools required to build properly. Many tried to get by with improvised version of what is in the garage and some regreted that decision. They do make it a lot easier and in many ways safer but it is a one time investment

Some of the members here have the tools and would be willing to help.

tony7815

Feb 11, 2016
    Building is about gaining the experience in my opinion or rather, experiencing the process. It also makes you more knowledgeable about the firearm itself and a better troubleshooter.
    If you buy an assembled upper, most people just need a cheap $15 punch set. Roll pin starter punches will help , but not absolutely required.

The added cost to building is the time. Time to research, time to build, time to fix mistakes etc. Not EVERYONE does it perfect the first time.

Building also lets you go pistol with brace I think alot cheaper though if you want to go that route.

Your either that kinds of person or your not. I built my AR or is it ARs?, don't recall if I have more than one or not

I like to shoot on a regular bases. Offhand at 100 yards at steel. I"m a Giessele trigger fan boy.

Seems like time is in large availability for doing projects for the next month or so for many people.

I agree.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    You may consider sooner rather than later. Already Brownells, MidwayUSA, etc. have statements of heavy workloads. Prices will go up. So it becomes a question of how long you want to wait.

You can buy off the shelf HBAR equipped AR’s for $500-$700 which on one end is good and other end pretty depending on what is already on the gun.

Dude- you called this one spot on.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Don't forget to factor in the gunsmith tools required to build properly. Many tried to get by with improvised version of what is in the garage and some regreted that decision. They do make it a lot easier and in many ways safer but it is a one time investment

True story- lots don’t think of this.

Sage advice

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Have y’all found a favorite lower parts kit yet?

My favorite lower parts kit is one that has all of the parts that it should!

Make sure that your LPK has all of the parts before you start. It's good to have spare LPKs on-hand, since you may find some things out-of-spec. It happens.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    OP,

Start with a stripped lower-PSA has them for $49.99. Aero has good quality ones for a bit more. Buy a complete upper w/BCG if you only have basic tools/no vice/no torque wrench-PSA has good deals and Aero does as well. Just buy a lower parts kit and it can all be assembled with common household tools-hammer, hex keys, wrench...etc. Not pretty/perfect but should get you running. I would look at an armorer's wrench to tackle the castle nut/muzzle device though-you can find a decent one for $50 on Amazon or Brownells. Lots of good Youtube videos that walk you through the process.

Like someone said starting from a stripped lower in MD you are allowed to build an AR-pattern pistol without worrying about the HBAR requirement. That means any upper with a barrel length <16inches. I think 12.5 is a good medium-you have the convenience of a shorter barrel and don't lose much on velocity/ballistics compared to a 16inch. Plus, you can always go for an HBAR upper for a full length step up in the future if you so choose starting with a stripped lower. Stripped lowers can be pistols or rifles but rifles can never go down to a pistol.

The "danger" of building I found myself in time and again while building is that you want to customize it to how you want to use/shoot it so you invest a lot more into parts and gear compared to what is offered by complete rifles. Not a bad issue but can drive up costs as you pursue better parts for youself. I would just be disciplined about budget on your first build.

Youtube is a good resource, just make sure to follow larger/more reputable sources. I've found Mr. Gunsngear to present a good mix of budget/mid-tier stuff that has been useful. He also has older videos for beginners on all things AR related.

Happy building/shooting!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Eh, I buy the parts and get my armorer to put it together. This last build was a Spike's Tactical upper, lower and BCG, Faxon Arms barrel, BCM handguard and grip, milspec buffer tube and spring, H2 buffer, POF EDT trigger, and Magpul MOE stock. I have roughly $850 in it. I don't think I can get this rifle, complete, for under $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom