• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yep. Although changing parts out lowers the value.
    Trigger group was changed, but saved the old parts. I'll do the same if I change the furniture. This gun (the 6920 HBPW) is meant to be used. Notably, Clandestine found more issues with this one than a previously purchased 6721, which of the number of uppers that he's looked at for me, was the best straight from the factory. Spikes uppers were previously generally good too.
    Good. You have two.

Gonna make shooting up the house lots easier and much more efficient. Already saw that course they set up.

Won’t be long now.
    Yeah, not letting the youngest know that one of those is eventually his, lol. He does have a single shot Chipmunk and loves range time. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I agree and kudos for the seller. I'm all about capitalism. Spending that much on a milspec basic AR just doesn't float the boat that I have all my accidents in...

Nah, I use at least mid grade parts in my ARs... $2k, even the $1500 that's been floated been floated around can build something that shoots circles around a basic Colt while being just as reliable.

Keep thinking that.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    i feel like this will be the camaro vs chevy argument of the ar buyers world.

Some folks feel like the prancing pony is worth all the extra money, and some think what colt asks for a " basic rifle" is insane, regardless of consistency.

its all about what one finds value in.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Some folks feel like the prancing pony is worth all the extra money, and some think what colt asks for a " basic rifle" is insane, regardless of consistency.

I think you meant Ford vs Chevy.

I would say that a Ford truck and Chevy truck (apples to apples) don't have much difference it quality. They are pretty consistent and make a good platform.

If you're comparing a Ford F150 to a Tata Yodha...then you've got an issue. Ford F150's aren't cheap but you get a solid vehicle. Many people would say they aren't worth the money. But if I'm putting my family in one I'll pay more for the F150.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

You would have a different opinion if you were in my shoes.

My testing and gauging says you are wrong, but feel free to think that. The pony has nothing to do with it, nor does the smart ass comments many people make about being "tactical" (not directed at you).

It's the consistency they demand out of the critical components. That is not matched by many in the AR world. They hold about .001 or better on the critical components across the board, and have for decades if you discount their neutered AR versions they made (which did suck).

Many companies have trouble holding it withing a .003+/- variance, many are much worse than that.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

My testing and gauging says you are wrong, but feel free to think that. The pony has nothing to do with it, nor does the smart ass comments many people make about being "tactical" (not directed at you).

It's the consistency they demand out of the critical components. That is not matched by many in the AR world. They hold about .001 or better on the critical components across the board, and have for decades if you discount their neutered AR versions they made (which did suck).

Many companies have trouble holding it withing a .003+/- variance, many are much worse than that.
    There you go using fact and actual data. That only confuses those of us who are here solely TO ARGUE AND LISTEN TO HOW SMART WE ARE ON LINE.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I think you meant Ford vs Chevy.

I would say that a Ford truck and Chevy truck (apples to apples) don't have much difference it quality. They are pretty consistent and make a good platform.

If you're comparing a Ford F150 to a Tata Yodha...then you've got an issue. Ford F150's aren't cheap but you get a solid vehicle. Many people would say they aren't worth the money. But if I'm putting my family in one I'll pay more for the F150.

dammit lol, yeah that's what i meant.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

Chad, nobody is questioning your gauges or experience bud. What i am saying to you, is that some folks are going to have a different opinion on what the value of said consistency you speak of means to them, with regard to how much they are willing to pay for it.

To some folks its worth a lot and they take the Colt any day of the week and some would simply say, " for that amount of money, i'd rather buy an lwrc or build one for less ".

BTW, i just watched a video you did with "primary and secondary" several months back on you tube this morning. good stuff. i was surprised at your praise of the tapco armorers wrench.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When building a performance engine, I've seen people buy first class parts (read that as expensive) and assemble the engine without a clue what they were trying to achieve. I've also seen someone with a plan, use less expensive but still quality parts (read that as private label), assemble the engine and have a durable, screamer of a power plant. It all comes down to having a plan and carefully matching and assembling those parts for a successful product. The same can go for rifles. Get a Colt which is all Milspec and proven for years and it will get you by without trouble for a long time. You can also buy a lower receiver and get parts from any suppliers and if you carefully match and assemble them you'll have a good rifle as well...if you know what you're doing and the parts are quality. Just getting a bunch of parts and throwing them together doesn't necessarily mean you have a quality product at the end...you may well have but maybe not.

A friend purchased a Black Rain lower in 7.62...he had someone supposedly well versed in building rifles build it for him. The rifle has never functioned properly...been back to the builder several times. The last I asked him about it it still hadn't been straightened out...he hadn't decided what to do with it. Not everyone who says they can build a rifle knows what they're doing.

If you enjoy building your own rifle to fit your own needs have at it...nothing wrong with that. My AR-platform rifles are Colt, Armalite and Olympic Arms...and all function perfectly and are accurate and do everything I need of them. I have changed no internal parts...I've felt no need to do so. Whatever I have changed are external that make it better suit me...Magpul collapsible buttstocks, red dot sights, tritium iron sights...and that's about it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A lot of reliable rifles probably fail gauging. That said, if you want a rifle that will be uber reliable and function under adverse conditions, making sure everything is in-spec is probably your best bet. Does Chad go above and beyond? Absolutely. Does he do great work on AR's and point people to the most reliable parts? Hell yes, and I appreciate that.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    A friend purchased a Black Rain lower in 7.62...he had someone supposedly well versed in building rifles build it for him. The rifle has never functioned properly...been back to the builder several times. The last I asked him about it it still hadn't been straightened out...he hadn't decided what to do with it. Not everyone who says they can build a rifle knows what they're doing.

Funny that you say that about Black Rain. A friend spent a crap load of money on Black Rain parts (5.56 build) and had a local shop assemble it. He's had all kinds of issues with it.

I agree with you regarding assembly. When people talk about brands it isn't just parts. It is who is putting it together. Proper tools, gauges, know how. It all goes together. I'm a car guy and you see the same thing with guns.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    A lot of reliable rifles probably fail gauging. That said, if you want a rifle that will be uber reliable and function under adverse conditions, making sure everything is in-spec is probably your best bet. Does Chad go above and beyond? Absolutely. Does he do great work on AR's and point people to the most reliable parts? Hell yes, and I appreciate that.

doctor hair approves and so do I :thumbsup:

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD

What about the other .mil contractors? FN has the current M4 contract, and Remington Defense replaced Colt as the prime contractor a few years ago.

How is their quality and consistency compared to Colt?

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What about the other .mil contractors? FN has the current M4 contract, and Remington Defense replaced Colt as the prime contractor a few years ago.

How is their quality and consistency compared to Colt?

I talking about civilian weapons. Comparing weapons the DoD acquires to the mess we see on the civilan side is not comparible.

I can't opine on the quality of DoD Remington's or FN's because I don't have direct hands on info. I do assist Military and L.E. Armorer's from all over the country with problems via phone, video, and messaging, but I'm not there physically to gauge or inspect.

FN civilian rifles are not that great my experience. I have the same experience with civilian Remington Rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom