• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    what's the lightest HBAR

Hi guys can you please help with recommendations on a barrel for my build
    looking for the lightest high quality MD compliant barrel I can find .
    16"
    1/7 or 1/8 twist
    223 wylde
    black
    mid length .750 gas tube

I just bought a Criterion HBAR in stainless and it's very HEAVY.

Alternatively is there any place that could machine some fluting into my Criterion barrel to take some weight out?

thanks for the suggestions

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hi guys can you please help with recommendations on a barrel for my build

looking for the lightest high quality MD compliant barrel I can find .

16"

1/7 or 1/8 twist

223 wylde

black

mid length .750 gas tube

I just bought a Criterion HBAR in stainless and it's very HEAVY.

Alternatively is there any place that could machine some fluting into my Criterion barrel to take some weight out?

thanks for the suggestions
    Precision Firearms in Martinsburg, WV.

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    thanks!
    just mailed my Criterion Barrel to Precision Firearms...he's going to machine 8 flutes, enlarge my gas block hole and Cerakote in flat black.

can't wait :)

Last edited:

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Just got my barrel back
    1.81lbs
    Down from 2.25

Attachments

• FCB1C252-34AF-4A4D-A5B1-99C7AE659FD3.jpeg
      FCB1C252-34AF-4A4D-A5B1-99C7AE659FD3.jpeg
      76.2 KB · Views: 416

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Why did you feel the need to enlarge the gas port? I can see you are running a superlative AGB.

I am waiting on the same barrel right now for a new build. Those flutes look awesome! What was the turnaround time?

I’d guess about 2 weeks give or take mailing time.

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Why did you feel the need to enlarge the gas port? I can see you are running a superlative AGB.

I am waiting on the same barrel right now for a new build. Those flutes look awesome! What was the turnaround time?

Mailed it out on a Thursday got it back the following Thursday 1 week turn including shipping from Annapolis. The machine work is perfection...very pleased. As for the gas port, I’m a complete novice this is my first build. That was the recommendation of the shop... that’s his normal build with the SA gas block.

He explained to me that when using the adjustable gas block you want the port opened up so you can use the gas block to make the adjustments rather than choking the gas port. I’m still waiting for the MSP 8 days to get my lower so haven’t shot it yet.

There’s a procedure for tuning it I’ll need to go through to make it cycle properly

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    Any shops in MD currently have or typically have quality lower receivers in stock?

Also, does anyone here own a white oak predator/varmint upper? Just want to know if they are worth the money.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any shops in MD currently have or typically have quality lower receivers in stock?

Also, does anyone here own a white oak predator/varmint upper? Just want to know if they are worth the money.

Try Engage?

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    IMHO the best cheap setup I've found is the Midway Stoner enhanced polished triggers and the JP reduced power springs, get the JPS4.5 Service Rifle kit. Or at least that is what I have in 2 rifles. One with the PSA enhanced trigger and one with the Stoner EPT. Both have gone bang 100% on everything I've fed the rifles out of at least 500+ rounds since I had those setups (one is a 6.5 Grendel rifle and one is a 5.56). I also have a stoner in another lower that isn't currently in use with some other reduced power spring kit (I think it might be the JPS4.0) No failures in that either, but I don't notice any real difference in pull weight, so the lower power makes more concerned on consistent bangs (I've had no issues, but only put about 200rnds through that lower before I sold the upper).

Anyway, the Stoner tiggers both have less creep, no noticeable difference in smoothness, but the pull weight is noticeably lower. I'd guess actual pull weights are probably ~5-5.5lbs on the Stoner setups and I'd guess about 6lbs on the PSA trigger setup.

I also have two milspec triggers (what used to be in 2 of the guns). Noticeably more creep and grittier on them and with regular milspec springs I'd guess the pull weights were around 9-10lbs on them.

Also to chime in, agreed with the last poster, that upper isn't going to be legal on a Maryland AR-15 unless you owned the lower prior to 10/2013.

PS One note on the Stoner triggers, if you watch and wait, Midway has them on sale for $19.99 a few weeks out of the year.
    Just saw your older 2015 post. My son and I want to “build” another AR-15 since I cannot afford the prices to buy one from a gun store nowadays (if you can even find one). I am not a gunsmith and do not want to build one from the ground up. I’d prefer to buy an assembled lower and upper and just put them together.
    I want a basic weapon for my 32 year old son to plink with and use as a home-defense weapon: 5.56 or Wylde, 1-in-7 or 1-8 twist, with a heavy barrel so I can legally bring it to MD.
    I am looking at some Palmetto State Armory’s products since their customers speak highly of the fit and finish of their AR parts:
    • PSA AR15 COMPLETE CLASSIC STEALTH LOWER, SKU 5165457978 on sale for $209
    • PSA 18" CHF MIDLENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 RIFLE KIT – 508067 for $656
    • PSA AR-15 "M16A4" STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER – SKU 16471997 for $85
    • PSA 18" CHF MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 HEAVY 15" PRECISION LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER, NO BCG OR CH – SKU 516444448 for $550: Their ad says it is a heavy barrel - - - is that advertisement all I need for the “heavy barrel”?
    Would appreciate any advice or other options you could provide.

Thanks,
    Mack

USAF Veteran
    MD HQL and W&C Permit
    Member: NRA, Maryland Shall Issue, Maryland Shooters, US Law Shield, Gun Owners of America
    Supporter: Project Veritas, Judicial Watch, Epoch Times
    Firearms Instructor

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just saw your older 2015 post. My son and I want to “build” another AR-15 since I cannot afford the prices to buy one from a gun store nowadays (if you can even find one). I am not a gunsmith and do not want to build one from the ground up. I’d prefer to buy an assembled lower and upper and just put them together.
    I want a basic weapon for my 32 year old son to plink with and use as a home-defense weapon: 5.56 or Wylde, 1-in-7 or 1-8 twist, with a heavy barrel so I can legally bring it to MD.
    I am looking at some Palmetto State Armory’s products since their customers speak highly of the fit and finish of their AR parts:
    •PSA AR15 COMPLETE CLASSIC STEALTH LOWER, SKU 5165457978 on sale for $209
    •PSA 18" CHF MIDLENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 RIFLE KIT – 508067 for $656
    •PSA AR-15 "M16A4" STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER – SKU 16471997 for $85
    •PSA 18" CHF MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 HEAVY 15" PRECISION LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER, NO BCG OR CH – SKU 516444448 for $550: Their ad says it is a heavy barrel - - - is that advertisement all I need for the “heavy barrel”?
    Would appreciate any advice or other options you could provide.

Thanks,
    Mack

USAF Veteran
    MD HQL and W&C Permit
    Member: NRA, Maryland Shall Issue, Maryland Shooters, US Law Shield, Gun Owners of America
    Supporter: Project Veritas, Judicial Watch, Epoch Times
    Firearms Instructor

I would stay away from PSA. They frequently have QC issues with their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I would stay away from PSA. They frequently have QC issues with their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I agree that there are more quality options out there, but in my experience, the PSA's I own and have come across have held up great.

I built two matching SPR inspired builds (one for a best man's gift), using the "PSA 18" CHF MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 HEAVY 15" PRECISION LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER, NO BCG OR CH – SKU 516444448", as mentioned by Mack M. I got mine for $379 each during a sale before all this panic though :-)

It's definitely overgassed (in part to being a middy 18'') and I run a Sprinco Red and H2 buffer to tame it down. Runs great with this set up.

Aside from the barrels not being dimpled, everything checked out and they are tack drivers for what they are and have never malfunctioned. Now my sample size is 2, so YMMV.

My other uppers are DD, BCM, and a home brewed Criterion upper.

I've seen bad QC from some top tier builds. PSA has def sh*t the bed before, but AFAIK they generally hold up pretty good.

All kinds of stories about how they used to loctite the crap out of everything, but neither of mine had any loctite and everything came apart and went back together as expected.

Now I will say their "lightweight" mlok rail is anything but.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom