Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:25 AM #11

I have loaded 223/5.56 on my Dillon 550. They were plinking, 'see how it works' rounds. Without weighing the charges, I was shooting just under moa with a 4x scope in a 20" RRA hbar.

When building match ammo in pistol with it, and if I do in rifle, I run the progressive as normal. The exception would be after sizing and before seating the primer, I remove the case and do the necessary steps on it. Then I reinsert it back into the sizing station and seat the primer. If the powder movement through the measure isn't as precise as I need, I set the charge from the measure a little light, remove the case at that station, empty the powder into the pan, trickle finish it and funnel it back into the case.

As someone said this is not fast using a progressive, but it is faster than a turret press or a single stage simply because the cases are handled less. Building precision ammo takes many steps so no matter what press you use, its time consuming. If I can, I will always opt for using the progessive for a couple of reasons besides the time factor.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading