• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I recently cranked together a full working Aero M5 rifle from bare receivers in about an hour. It's really no different than an AR-15, provided you have the right tools. Lotta recoil, though, even with adjustable gas and a Tubb spring. Might have to suck it up and go with a muzzle brake after all.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I have a Palmetto State Armory Psa-10, I built the lower and planned on building the upper until they put it on sale, 20" stainless .308, lightweight hand guard, I put a barely used Leupold Fire Dot optic on it (from this site), and I am still under $1,000. I got it on paper at 100 yards and then took it to Delmarva Sporting Cays and with match ammo I shot 1.17" 3 round at 300 yards. I think that is pretty tough to beat.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I recently cranked together a full working Aero M5 rifle from bare receivers in about an hour. It's really no different than an AR-15, provided you have the right tools. Lotta recoil, though, even with adjustable gas and a Tubb spring. Might have to suck it up and go with a muzzle brake after all.

I used a jp low mass bcg, silent capture spring, 18” rifle length gas jp barrel, slr adj gb, a apa lil bastard brake.
    Besides the hellacious muzzle blast, recoil is on par with a 5.56.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Love my Aero M5, you can go with stripped receivers, assembled uppers / lowers or complete rifles, so you can build it or not build it as you choose. They aren't quite as plug&play as AR15s, but if you stick with the same brand/type of upper/lower/handguard/barrel, then you should be fine, lots of good AR10s from good manufacturers. Outside of the Armalite/DPMS high/DPMS low platform considerations, the bolt is 3/4" longer, so you either need a longer A5/UBR style buffer tube and standard M4 buffer or standard M4 tube and short buffer for a carbine. AR15 Trigger groups and stocks are generally compatible, but pins, mag release and bolt catches are often proprietary, there can be clearance issues with some trigger/hammer setups and selectors, and some light strikes on hard primers with various models. Weight also adds up quick, easy to get over 10# before optics due to the larger action and beefy parts.

One thing I did notice about the m5 is I had to use the aero m5 lower parts kit minus FC because the front pivot pin is a bit longer in the aero kit. Standard ar 15 pin wasn’t long enough. Everything else was fine.

Side note, the first SSAE trigger I put in it had a decent amount of creep in it. I put it in one of my ar15s and it was fine. I sent it back to geissele anyway and it checked out fine. They sent me a new one anyway and it was perfect. My reciever could of been at one end of the tolerances and the original trigger at the other they explained.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    One thing I did notice about the m5 is I had to use the aero m5 lower parts kit minus FC because the front pivot pin is a bit longer in the aero kit. Standard ar 15 pin wasn’t long enough. Everything else was fine.

Side note, the first SSAE trigger I put in it had a decent amount of creep in it. I put it in one of my ar15s and it was fine. I sent it back to geissele anyway and it checked out fine. They sent me a new one anyway and it was perfect. My reciever could of been at one end of the tolerances and the original trigger at the other they explained.

There are so many different AR10/M110/SR25 etc lower part variations, best bet is to use one brand for the kit. Aero lowers are wider near the magwell, so longer pins and longer mag release, can use a long mag catch(AR10B IIRC) or as Aero includes, a longer button, some only thread a standard AR button on a couple threads, but not sure I would trust that. The bolt catch is different from an AR15 part too. I put an AR gold trigger I had laying around in mine, works fine for all mil and commercial ammo except only lights cheap Wolff about 75% of the time without a 2nd strike. Have seen some of my other triggers have notes about use in AR10s, the Giessele GRF/G2S triggers have a note about filing the hammer to clear the bolt. Seems most proprietary AR10 specific triggers I've seen are just AR15 triggers with a heavier hammer or heavier spring to light harder primers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I used a jp low mass bcg
    This and a good brake would indeed probably solve my problem, but not sure I'm willing to invest ~$500 in that solution quite yet.

not trying to derail, but have you considered building a 6.8 on an AR15 lower?
    IMHO, unless you're hunting, there's zero reason to go with 6.8 SPC II anymore. 6.5 Grendel is better in nearly every way that matters, and is cheaper to boot. Hell, even the cheap Russian ammo has 7N6-like bullet construction and does some serious damage when it hits a biological entity.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    IMHO, unless you're hunting, there's zero reason to go with 6.8 SPC II anymore. 6.5 Grendel is better in nearly every way that matters, and is cheaper to boot. Hell, even the cheap Russian ammo has 7N6-like bullet construction and does some serious damage when it hits a biological entity.

I will probably build a 6.5G just because I have spare lowers. I find the cartridge interesting

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    This and a good brake would indeed probably solve my problem, but not sure I'm willing to invest ~$500 in that solution quite yet.

I agree. I went way over what I wanted to spend although it was worth it buying good jp parts. I could show you a 5 shot group but you probably wouldn’t believe it came from a gas gun. With the jp silent capture buffer it is butter smooth. I think the rifle length gas and A tuned gas block made a big difference too.

I put together a 6.8 out of impulse. It’s a tack driver and I have killed a few deer with it but if I had to do it again I wouldn’t waist my time or money. I didn’t realize it’s true potential untill I started reloading and even then I’m pushing it to the max.

To the op, weather you build or buy you can’t go wrong with a 308/7.62. You can buy milsurp all the way up to match grade and do anything you want in my opinion. I just got a stupid good deal on 500rds of prIv fmj.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I will probably build a 6.5G just because I have spare lowers. I find the cartridge interesting
    It is an excellent alternative to going to a large-frame AR platform, and given a reasonable length barrel, will outperform 308 at long range with only about a 10% magazine capacity hit compared to 5.56. It is the closest thing to a free lunch in the AR platform that you'll get.

That said, 308 is a fair bit cheaper to do match-quality reloads for, which is why I still use it for my serious distance stuff.

I agree. I went way over what I wanted to spend although it was worth it buying good jp parts. I could show you a 5 shot group but you probably wouldn’t believe it came from a gas gun. With the jp silent capture buffer it is butter smooth. I think the rifle length gas and A tuned gas block made a big difference too.
    I made sure I got rifle gas, which definitely smooths it out. I'm running with a 18" Faxon pencil barrel, because I wanted to keep this thing as light as I could without it becoming too expensive.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan

OP is looking for a hunting rifle. Also, with the military picking 6.8 as the replacement to 5.56, prices on ammo will only go down. There are more round types available for 6.8, and from 0-600 yards, there is no realistic ballistic difference between 6.8 and 6.5, so unless OP is looking to shoot 600-1000yards, I see no reason to go 6.5.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Palmetto State Armory Psa-10, I built the lower and planned on building the upper until they put it on sale, 20" stainless .308, lightweight hand guard, I put a barely used Leupold Fire Dot optic on it (from this site), and I am still under $1,000. I got it on paper at 100 yards and then took it to Delmarva Sporting Cays and with match ammo I shot 1.17" 3 round at 300 yards. I think that is pretty tough to beat.

I built one of the PSAs with a 20' stainless barrel. Added a new 1-4x Leupold scope ($270 I think) The finished rifle w/scope came in at just under 1k. I built it for shooting hogs at 100yrd. not combat so if it's not the best it doesn't matter. The hogs won't know the difference

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I am very happy with my AR-10 A4 FB SPR. put a Midwest Ind. SS hand guard, PRS butt stock and an 4x ACOG and a few extras as I tweaked it. For fun once stretched its legs, I had no problem destroying 20oz water bottles @ 300. I have no interest in using this long range, thats what the BA is for. I wish Sub-Sonic was cheaper. I would run this suppressed exclusively if it was.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpg
      IMG_0752.jpg
      32.6 KB · Views: 252

woodymd

Apr 10, 2015
    Appreciate all the replies. A lot of good info. I have no experience or knowledge in a 6.5 or 6.8. Honestly I probably could use an ar15 for hogs lots do but would rather have the extra umph.

In leaning towards the Aero and will start a build list which I will share for input. It doesn't seem too difficult but there are certain steps I'm not sure about so might have to invoke the help of a gunsmith.

Last edited:

Steve059

Mar 3, 2019
    build it!

I built an ar10, aero upper and lower, faxon match barrel JP low mass bolt carrier, geiselle flat trigger, magpul precision rifle stock, it's a beast runs perfectly with slr adjustable gas block. shoots sub mos, all day. Thanks Chad! right at 1000 plus scope

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    What receives did you use?

thatdudejoe

Nov 2, 2018
    I have a Stag 10 and am happy with it. If you have the time to wait for a sale the prices come down substantially. Good luck with the decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom