• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    That wasn’t even Condition 3, that was Condition Stupid for leaving the gun in a pack instead of on his hip.

Also, it takes a special kind of stupid to be field dressing any elk or deer in bear country unarmed..

They should have had a shotgun or a rifle with them. Maybe gone to 50-50 security, one on the gun while the other worked on the carcass.

I have no sympathy for the deceased or the survivor. Both earned their Darwin Award.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The guy was a seasoned hunter and guide from what I understand.

I read that he was carrying the G20 on his chest and them moved it to dress the elk out.

Complacency got him killed. He got too comfortable in bear country.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What does Wyoming allow you to carry for protection during a bow hunt ? Only handguns or are you allowed to carry a shotgun ?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Of all the ways to go, being a step down on the food chain is not one I want to experience. There just seems to be no good reason why they weren’t better prepared.

The bear attack reminds me of a video link here on MDS where a store clerk was trying to fend off a robber with his gun. He was shot to death by the attacker multiple times as he feebly tried to rack the slide. Absolutely convincing reason to always carry in condition 0 or maybe 1.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    From the threads today

Bear 1 Human 1

A family member of mine hit a doe last week in PA said his head was where his ass was and assumed it as good as dead.. He began to slit it’s throat, then it sprang up and ran off into the woods

Looks like this gentleman had a similar but worse experience. Might need a “when animals attack” thread

Attachments

• C89531EC-560D-4B37-B840-744B1D0C555D.jpg
      C89531EC-560D-4B37-B840-744B1D0C555D.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 738

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sounds like the hunting partner didn’t know his way around a handgun and it cost them dearly. If you’re going to carry, condition three is worthless. Of course he never should have taken is weapon off of him. Did him no good while not on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    Sounds like the hunting partner didn’t know his way around a handgun and it cost them dearly. If you’re going to carry, condition three is worthless. Of course he never should have taken is weapon off of him. Did him no good while not on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I hate that he had to die... And the lesson is:

1. Carrying gun that is not ready to fire may not be ready when you (or someone trying to save your life) need it.

2. We don't usually get advance notice of an ambush (man or animal) so a gun out of reach is as useful as no gun at all. Don't assume you can go get it when the shtf.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don’t think people realize how fast a grizzly bear is. (I didn’t) I believe the can cover 40 or 50 yards in a couple of bounds or under 5 seconds. If your are in semi thick cover they are in you before you can react.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don’t think people realize how fast a grizzly bear is. (I didn’t) I believe the can cover 40 or 50 yards in a couple of bounds or under 5 seconds. If your are in semi thick cover they are in you before you can react.
    I've had an adult bull moose charge within yards of me out of the brush in Denali National Park in Alaska after we spooked it on a hike. Completely startled us, even though we were on the look out for large animals, and purposefully making noise to not surprise one. Initially we thought the huge brown mass was a grizzly. It was more than 100 yards away when my girlfriend at the time, who had her SLR out in her hands and was taking pictures as we hiked, was able to get her first shot of the moose (which of course was a blurry brown image in the distance). I'm amazed at how quickly it covered that distance.

In these type of situations, unless you have the drop on the grizzly or see it coming well ahead of time, your first opportunity to shoot might be after you've been knocked down, if your firearm is holstered. If you have a shotgun at the low ready position, probably have a better chance of shooting before contact.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom