• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I use a Power Ade bottle. Same wide opening and 32 oz for those of us that have a large bladder.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hahaha I use laundry detergent bottles after they've been washed a zillion times. Wide mouth and a handle.....add some camo duct tape and ready to go

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    While we're on the subject.....the best piss container in the world is an empty planters peanut jar. The large ones with the wide screw on-off plastic lids.

That wide mouth is da bomb when trying to maintain reasonable accuracy. Use one once, and you'll use nothing else.

This concludes the Bambi whacking tip of the day.

I use a Power Ade bottle. Same wide opening and 32 oz for those of us that have a large bladder.

Hahaha I use laundry detergent bottles after they've been washed a zillion times. Wide mouth and a handle.....add some camo duct tape and ready to go

Just piss out of your tree!!! I've been doing it for years. Piss is piss!

I once took a dump in a tree line(pine row) that jutted into a little back field I was hunting over that day. A doe and her yearling came out and started feeding. A little while later, A 2.5 YO buck came out and chased them around a little. Eventually, they settled down and grazed...10 yards directly down wind from where I squatted. Never bothered. I do all day treestand sets. When nature calls, I answer. Deer don't care. Don't fall for gimmicks. All kinds of animals 'go' in the woods. Don't sweat it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I once took a dump in a tree line(pine row) that jutted into a little back field I was hunting over that day. A doe and her yearling came out and started feeding. A little while later, A 2.5 YO buck came out and chased them around a little. Eventually, they settled down and grazed...10 yards directly down wind from where I squatted. Never bothered. I do all day treestand sets. When nature calls, I answer. Deer don't care. Don't fall for gimmicks. All kinds of animals 'go' in the woods. Don't sweat it.

Well in will 100% not carry a piss bottle again! I've seen the bucks you've shot, so it can't have any effect. Thank you sir

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Backside=horseshoe. Theyre after sika tonight, when I get back from the storm all the good ones will be gone!

Nah, I know you know better. :) I don't even start hunting til mid to late October. That's when I shoot my best deer. That and after Christmas(when all my 'resident' bucks come back home for the winter).

;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    congrats doco

You can see in the video instead of taking a risky shot and wounding her because my peep sight got twisted. I let off, fixed it then redrew. 30yd shot and she didn't go far.

The one thing I can't miss in your video is that stripped out Ash tree in the foreground. Some of my best 'climber' trees where I hunt are Ashes. :sad20:

Nice vid though. :)

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County

I do the same thing. Just piss where I'm at. Never had a problem.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Turns out it was a spike. Went about 75yds. Double lung, quartering towards me slightly. In the top of one and out the bottom of the other one.

3 hours in the field. I went late cause my oldest had an archery class taking up most of the morning. Saw 3 big does and a little fawn on the pipe line. Stalked within 50yds of them (not looking for a shot since I don't think the pipe line is legal. Just trying to see how close I could get).

Then saw a fawn (probably a button) at the bottom of the next hill and got within about 80yds when a huge fork (POSITIVE it was a fork as I was looking at it through my range finder) stepped out and gave me the side eye at about 60yds.

Also pipeline.

Went off, setup and saw this guy an hour before sunset and he walked to within 15yds or so of my stand. In reflection I think that was how far away. Didn't range it though after the fact.

I guess that is my archery outings for the year. Well, unless I get a couple of does in there. A little sad as I was hoping to hunt the rut this year finally, now that I've got a crossbow. I guess I could and just tag a doe (if I am lucky). I don't need any off limits 8 points walking out on me or something though.

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpg
      IMG_3020.jpg
      139.5 KB · Views: 345

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also, any suggestions on preserving or stripping the velvet? I tossed them in a freezer bag and in to my chest freezer because I thought the velvet horns were kind of cool, even if it was just a spike.

Saw a good sized, but small horned 8-pt in the freezer at the processor.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Also, any suggestions on preserving or stripping the velvet? I tossed them in a freezer bag and in to my chest freezer because I thought the velvet horns were kind of cool, even if it was just a spike.

Binoculars are your friend, even when bow hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Binoculars are your friend, even when bow hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, this guy stepped out from under some trees 25yds off and walking a decent pace. Only paused a second right before I shot him.

If I had to figure if it was a doe or a buck I would have glassed it first, but I knew it was well within needing to sight it for BDC range. :)

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Anybody else notice a drastic change in pattern after the first day?
    I'm wondering if it's just the property I'm hunting. Deer hanging out at the feeder all hours for weeks before season then poof - no deer. If the pattern holds true, they'll trickle back over the next several weeks.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm wondering if it's just the property I'm hunting. Deer hanging out at the feeder all hours for weeks before season then poof - no deer. If the pattern holds true, they'll trickle back over the next several weeks.

Welcome to deer hunting. This has been my experience for decades.

Keep the faith and good luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Acorns(more than likely)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah, this guy stepped out from under some trees 25yds off and walking a decent pace. Only paused a second right before I shot him.

If I had to figure if it was a doe or a buck I would have glassed it first, but I knew it was well within needing to sight it for BDC range. :)

BTDT. It happens to all of us. Get your two does and go for Mr Big. :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    BTDT. It happens to all of us. Get your two does and go for Mr Big. :)

Definitely going to. I am really thinking Columbus Day, since I'll have off work, I'll go setup on that pinch point and see if I can nail a doe. Then if I get another doe during early muzzleloader I can try the rut for a big buck.

My wife is really going to hate that. I'll have to find someone to take meat if I end up with more than 1 more deer. I still have 30lbs from the two from last year left. My big renovation means I haven't had time to cook and my wife will only use ground for chili or taco filling. Anything else I've gotta cook it, especially the steaks and straps (and I don't mean I won't let her, she won't).

So first year and nabbing a large buck with >50lbs of venison in my freezer and we ate through almost of it by late deer season last year (over 14 months). In the 9 months since then we have eaten maybe 15 or 20lbs of venison.

My wife is okay with venison. She pretty much doesn't like red meat in general. The kids are whatever way the wind blows. Sometimes one won't touch it. Other times they'll have seconds of steak and then complain when there is no more.

Renovation is close to wrapped up so I can start cooking more. Also feeling more confident in my hunting abilities so I am not going to mind going in to next season with an empty freezer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Definitely going to. I am really thinking Columbus Day, since I'll have off work, I'll go setup on that pinch point and see if I can nail a doe. Then if I get another doe during early muzzleloader I can try the rut for a big buck.

My wife is really going to hate that. I'll have to find someone to take meat if I end up with more than 1 more deer. I still have 30lbs from the two from last year left. My big renovation means I haven't had time to cook and my wife will only use ground for chili or taco filling. Anything else I've gotta cook it, especially the steaks and straps (and I don't mean I won't let her, she won't).

So first year and nabbing a large buck with >50lbs of venison in my freezer and we ate through almost of it by late deer season last year (over 14 months). In the 9 months since then we have eaten maybe 15 or 20lbs of venison.

My wife is okay with venison. She pretty much doesn't like red meat in general. The kids are whatever way the wind blows. Sometimes one won't touch it. Other times they'll have seconds of steak and then complain when there is no more.

Renovation is close to wrapped up so I can start cooking more. Also feeling more confident in my hunting abilities so I am not going to mind going in to next season with an empty freezer.

Those steaks make great stew. That's what I use them for. I refuse to use beef. No flavor. Maybe we'll get you back out on my farm for bow. I'll be out there the last week of Oct/first week of Nov. Every day.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace

Just leave them in the freezer unwrapped for a year so they freezer burn dry. Poor man's freeze dryer.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Turns out it was a spike. Went about 75yds. Double lung, quartering towards me slightly. In the top of one and out the bottom of the other one.

3 hours in the field. I went late cause my oldest had an archery class taking up most of the morning. Saw 3 big does and a little fawn on the pipe line. Stalked within 50yds of them (not looking for a shot since I don't think the pipe line is legal. Just trying to see how close I could get).

Then saw a fawn (probably a button) at the bottom of the next hill and got within about 80yds when a huge fork (POSITIVE it was a fork as I was looking at it through my range finder) stepped out and gave me the side eye at about 60yds.

Also pipeline.

Went off, setup and saw this guy an hour before sunset and he walked to within 15yds or so of my stand. In reflection I think that was how far away. Didn't range it though after the fact.

I guess that is my archery outings for the year. Well, unless I get a couple of does in there. A little sad as I was hoping to hunt the rut this year finally, now that I've got a crossbow. I guess I could and just tag a doe (if I am lucky). I don't need any off limits 8 points walking out on me or something though.

I'm a little confused about the pipeline. If it's on property you are allowed to hunt then it should not be "off limits" The gas line is a right of way on the property.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    My wife is really going to hate that. ...I haven't had time to cook and my wife will only use ground for chili or taco filling. Anything else I've gotta cook it, especially the steaks and straps (and I don't mean I won't let her, she won't).

Lazarus,
    Too much venison is a good problem to have :) Offering this as something your family may enjoy if you haven't tried this already. Grind venison and bacon together at a 2:1 ratio (2 lbs venison to 1 lb bacon) and make burger patties. Amazing flavor for anyone who likes a good burger and no issues with the patties drying out or crumbling. Easy to package in individual or family-size quantities.

If nothing else, gifted venison makes for happy relatives, coworkers, and landowners who may offer you more hunting opportunity :)

Good hunting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom