• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    For those of you who are out early in the season, do you hunt for horns this early or are you looking to fill the freezer first?

Just curious.

I still have some meat in the freezer so I'm hunting for a good buck and can afford to be choosey. Now is a good time since most deer haven't seen anyone in the woods for a while so they aren't as likely to be spooky. Later in the season, say mid to late December, I'm of the mindset "if it's brown, its going down".

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    For those of you who are out early in the season, do you hunt for horns this early or are you looking to fill the freezer first?

Just curious.

Thanks to MD's over population of does and the rules for bonus deer I'm shooting any doe early on that I can. Though if a nice buck walks by me I'm shooting him too.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We got lots of late dropped fawns out our way. Does that still have the depression in front of their hind leg and thin ribs showing they are still nursing them. Fawns are getting bigger and all covered in spots still. I love shooting does, but its doing to have a be a 1 1/2 old doe unbread in early season, I guess.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    First Day luck

IMG_1991_LI.jpg one of the boys did alright this morning

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    congrats doco

You can see in the video instead of taking a risky shot and wounding her because my peep sight got twisted. I let off, fixed it then redrew. 30yd shot and she didn't go far.

Attachments

• 0908171841.jpg
      0908171841.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 287

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Poor shot turned out to be just the ticket.

I usually avoid hunting this early because I'm on a small piece of property (my backyard), and finding one when its warm out could be problematic. But this nice weather got me out this evening.

There were four deer on the feeder this evening when I walked out and one came right back. My shot was high and hit her right in the spine. She fell in her tracks and I followed it up with a lung shot. Total time to expire was probably under a minute.

This is my little boy trying to comprehend what he's looking at about three minutes after. I shot her at about 6:30PM, had her quartered and in the freezer by 8:30PM. Nice big heart in perfect condition that I'm gonna save for when my dad visits. Also kept the liver this time. I need to figure out a better way to pull the hide.

Best part was when my little boy (just shy of 3 years old) said to me while butchering - "I'm going to get my tools daddy". Came back with a little plastic play saw and went to work on her with me.

Brent

Attachments

• IMG-5309.jpg
      IMG-5309.jpg
      172 KB · Views: 279

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats to all the early birds! I'm stuck up in NYC for Fashion Week. So I'm surrounded by a different type of Whitetail :D

I hope to get out mid-late week next week.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    That's the least mdshooters sentence that I've ever seen written here.

LOL! Maybe I can make it more manly by saying I'm up here working with my clients - Stella Artois and Belvedere Vodka. Getting paid to attend parties with the added bonus of getting to look at some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

Better? : )

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    LOL! Maybe I can make it more manly by saying I'm up here working with my clients - Stella Artois and Belvedere Vodka. Getting paid to attend parties with the added bonus of getting to look at some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

Better? : )

Yeah. But, Bama would sent pics

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All I've got to work with so far.

Fork in velvet. 12yds from my stand. Seemed to be a good lung hit. Went over a little hill 40yds from me and went at least another 30-40 before I didn't hear any more crashing.

The wait begins (been 15)

I suck at waiting

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpg
      IMG_3010.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 234

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Fork in velvet. 12yds from my stand. Seemed to be a good lung hit. Went over a little hill 40yds from me and went at least another 30-40 before I didn't hear any more crashing.

I suck at waiting

The wait sucks the worst. Minutes just tiiiiiiiiiiiick by.

You only have 40 minutes left. Best of luck with the search.

Don't ferget da pitchers.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

I suck at waiting

I cant stand waiting either. Luckily i hunt in my backyard so i head inside dump my gear and take that piss i've been holding all morning. It makes the time go by a little quicker :D

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    While we're on the subject.....the best piss container in the world is an empty planters peanut jar. The large ones with the wide screw on-off plastic lids.

That wide mouth is da bomb when trying to maintain reasonable accuracy. Use one once, and you'll use nothing else.

This concludes the Bambi whacking tip of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom