• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunsgalore

Dec 7, 2012
    I have used both but I am not sure what I should stick with. I love the aluminum because they are sturdy, but they tend to bend I and I don't know how to straighten them.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    What are you using them for? Fiberglass arrows are generally only used for bow fishing. You probably mean carbon. If that is the case then I would definately go with the carbon arrows specifically for the reason that you mention, the aluminum will bend and cannot be straightened. Also, if you hit something hard, like a stump an aluminum arrow can break very easily. A carbon arrow properly sized for your poundage and draw length will easily outlast any aluminum arrow. I've been shooting the same dozen for about three years now and they are still as straight and weigh the same as the day I bought them. I simply re-fletch them ever couple hundred shots or so.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Carbon.

Aluminum is probably the better of the two you list.

Aluminum can bend. They sell arrow straightening tools that claim to work. I've never had much luck. The good news is, if you care for them they are pretty durable. Just pull 'em straight out of the target.

I've heard of fiberglass arrows being easy to shatter. I've never used them and never had first hand experience.

For traditional archery where I hand-make everything, I prefer poplar or cedar shafts.

Kjdowning18

Oct 23, 2012
    Red Lion, PA
    Full metal jackets

Carbon wrapped in aluminum.... I stopped shootin these though because the outer shell tends to bend also.... All carbon is te way to go!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I still use Easton xx75 aluminum arrows.
    Gotta be careful to not bend 'em, or, you're replacing 'em.

My son got 'hooked' on carbon fiber.
    He's using Easton something or another.

He has shattered one of his carbon fiber arrows, when he hit my metal stand.
    :shrug: (I keep telling him to hit the target, not the stand!):D

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    You could get primitive and try stone.

Attachments

• fieldfinds.jpg
      fieldfinds.jpg
      19.7 KB · Views: 1,451

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    My dad is into bows and he uses carbon arrows. He gets them from Bass Pro in Arundel Mills. The apparently will put them together for you while you wait. And as stated, you want decent quality and arrows rated for your bow poundage.

seabeeJordan

CAN DO!
    Dec 13, 2012
    I think you mean carbon. But you can have the better of both worlds check out the easton FMJ they are great arrows its what i hunt with. But they are expencive

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have always used a heavy thick walled aluminum arrow. The thicker wall will help keep it from bending as much and the heavier material, while slower, will give you penetration and energy transfer. Would you rather have the fast light 9mm or the heavy slow 45acp??? This is especially true if using a crossbow IMHO. You don't have as long an arrow to store kinetic energy.

I have shot along those using carbon and while theirs will get there a fraction of a second earlier and penetrate a few inches into the target, mine sink right to the fletchings or go straight thru and out the other side.

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    Yes go carbon, but do check for crack and major scratches on the shaft. If they break your forearm will not be too happy.

Slimpickins

Jan 3, 2013
    Hollywood, Md
    Check out the small diameter carbon arrows. They have a stiffer spine and have only had two break in over 10 years. One I shot with another arrow while target practicing and the other broke when I shot a deer in the front shoulder (errant shot) and when she ran it broke. They don't actually shatter...I am shooting the Easton Axis nano fused 400 spine and still have 10 left since purchasing them 5 years ago....A really good investment if you ask me!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have a crapload of fiberglass arrows never shot where are you from? Actually I have to check that I think I have a ton of carbon express arrows as well.

Also have a bow set up with accessories in the classifieds.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Yeah there is a lot to finding the right arrow for your setup. Some people use the chart on the back of the arrows but htere are programs out there that use your bow's setup ( poundage etc ) to find out what spine is optimal.

so if you want give me your arrow length, draw weight, draw length, what bow you are shooting and what year it is. I can then let you know what spine you need and what your options are. Also, do you hunt game or target shoot?

Reason for the program is that some came accelerate the arrow fast and some are smoother thus needed a stiffer or softer spine. I didnt believe it until I bought the program ( its touted all over archery talk.com ) and tried it. I was shooting CX blue streak selects and then I went to GT 7595 and damn way tighter groups are further distances..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom