• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Okay. Silly me, I thought maybe there was an exception. Same bs. That stupid law doesn't do anything but make everything a royal pia and syphon extra money out of your pocket.

Kel-Tec should make mags for it like the Hex-Mag True 10/30. Pop out the insert, add a 30 round spring, and you're good to go.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't get it.

I dated a really small girl that went straight to 9mm and shot great.

I knew another girl who couldn't even hit the paper at 5 yards, even with a .22lr.

I think none of it involves physically handling the recoil. It's all mental. Being afraid of the next round going off if what makes them miss. Dry firing is crucial in the beginning as is transitioning to shooting live as if you were dry firing, i.e. pretending that there is no live round when you pull the trigger. If you shoot live you you shoot dry, there will be no misses from anticipating recoil.

The worst thing is when girls mistakenly try to pick smaller guns, not realizing that the recoil will be much worse with less weight to absorb the impact.

I think .22lr is a great starter pistol, but a full sized 9mm is nothing a small girl can't handle once she isn't afraid to shoot it.

The one thing I tell people that use 22LR for defense is to drop their POA about 6" from the center of the sternum to just below the diaphragm. Belly shots will cause a lot of internal trauma and bleeding.

I don't know about that idea. Internal bleeding isn't going to put you down quick. Heart and lung shots might though, provided that the .22lr doesn't lack penetration through ribs.

Unless you hit brain or heart, the only thing that's going to be stopping them is the fear of being shot.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Unless she's getting a concealed carry permit, which is extremely unlikely since you're in Maryland, why is she going with a handgun? Why not a PCC? Unless she's trying to clear a house (unlikely), a PCC is a lot easier to shoot, it's a lot quieter than a handgun, and if she's getting arthritic, it's a lot easier to work the action. Get her on a 10/22, and work up from there. Hi Point carbines are actually very reliable and not too heavy. Or if you insist on Glock mags, the Sub2000 in either of the calibers its in works great.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Unless she's getting a concealed carry permit, which is extremely unlikely since you're in Maryland, why is she going with a handgun? Why not a PCC? Unless she's trying to clear a house (unlikely), a PCC is a lot easier to shoot, it's a lot quieter than a handgun, and if she's getting arthritic, it's a lot easier to work the action. Get her on a 10/22, and work up from there. Hi Point carbines are actually very reliable and not too heavy. Or if you insist on Glock mags, the Sub2000 in either of the calibers its in works great.

Or an AR-15.

Less recoil to me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Shot placement is certainly important. Caliber should also be a consideration. Don't rely on the venerable .25 ACP, which has had problems penetrating leather jackets.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Alabama hunter shoots down 820-pound wild hog in front yard

Seago grabbed his .38-caliber revolver and went back onto the front porch.

Seago told AL.com that it took three shots to take the hog down before it hit the ground.

"By the time I got in a position to shoot, the hog was about 12 yards away," he said. "Cruiser (his dog) was out of my line to the hog so I fired."

Shot placement and multiple shots?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you look at the stopping power studies, it seems that many fights are stopped on the first shot with just about any caliber. IMO, this is the person that stops because they were shot and do not want to be shot again.

But if you look at the number of cases where the person was not stopped, even with multiple hits, you see that there is another class of person, that needs to be physically stopped from continuing. In those cases, the major calibers work better.

A .22 is better than no gun at all. But a 9, 40, 45, 357 is better than a .22 in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom