• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just watch the prices. Most are rip-offs. I bought a "Badlands" day deer pack a few years back. It was almost $150 IIRC and it was complete crap! Whatever you do, I recommend you hold it in your hands, open all the zippers(using only your weak hand), and make sure it is what you need. I know you're an experienced hunter and all, I say this more for anyone else reading this.

Yeah, I used that POS for the last 5 years(to get my monies worth) but I'm finally dumping it this season.:mad54:

How much do you need? I went with a surplus MOLLE butt pack in woodland camo my first year and it fit a harness drag, first aid kit, snacks, inflatable pad for sitting, a couple of canteens on the belt, my knife and a few other small items. The next year I got a new one in Multicam to go with my new Multicam ACUs. Part way through the season I picked up a Midway Rendezvous pack. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939300700/midwayusa-rendezvous-backpack Looks like they only have it in OD and black right now, but they had them in Realtree Xtra last year. Great little pack. Has an OD rain cover included. Perfect size for being put all day, plus extra clothes.

I still prefer a butt pack when going light, especially if I plan to still hunt. But the small backpack can fit everything from the buttpack in or on it, plus packable rain jacket and pants, ACU jacket, hat and gloves and a good book to read.

I tend to try to go out to the field stripped down and then layer on once I've cooled off. In really cold weather I lash my parka and/or bibs (I picked up a set or Herters stuff on clearance right at Christmas last year for something like $120 for both after clearance, sale and discounted gift cards) on the outside of the backpack with a bit of 550. Easy to attach. The backpack also fits great under the climber stand I just picked up. Adds a comfortable layer of padding.

Not a setup that would work if you were packing the animal out, but great if you are dragging or using a cart.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh and my sole outing with my crossbow to hunt so far I just carried it in my hands. I also went out at 3 in the afternoon. Unlikely, but figured there was a chance I could run across a deer, so I went cocked with an arrow on the rail. Dragging a spike back that evening (not jumped on the way to where I setup) I also just carried it. Then it kind of sucked because I was so tired. Frankly carrying it or being able to have it slung or on my pack would have made zero difference. I really should have pulled the deer back to my car and then gone back for my gear or vice versa.

A sling can help. I probably could have also attached my cross bow to my tree stand using the sling if I had cared or thought about it.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I think a lot of the responses are missing the fact that he's carrying a climbing tree stand on his back PLUS a backpack PLUS a crossbow. From experience I can tell you that that arrangement sux large hairy ba*ls. Carrying a crossbow is awful enuf on its own, but without a 25 lb hunk of metal on your back you can sling the x-bow very comfortably. The tree stand parts hang down low enuf & to each side enuf that when you carry the x-box in your hands, which is not an evenly distributed weighted item, nor is it streamlined, it will hook and bang and snag on damn near everything. I usually end up carrying it extendedout from my body to keep from making a ton of noise and/or damaging the bow, then become arm-fatigued pretty quickly.

Did I mention that sitting for hours in a tree with that unwieldy item isn't any picnic either? There's no real good way to hold it on your stand like with a vertical bow holder. You can try the overhead tree hanger Arms, but that doesn't put the bow in a terribly good position to grab it when you need to get ready. The "cross" part won't let you sit it in a rifle/gun holder. I usually end up holding it in my lap all day, and after 4 hours. Want to spike it 30 ft down to the ground. Fun and easy to shoot deer with, awful to "hunt" wth.

As fa as walking in/out, Yes, most of those x-box packs are junk, but some are quite genius and really work. If they still make it or not IDK, but Lone Wolf made one that makes me jealous of my buddy whenever I hunt with him. Again remember this response is regarding a climbing stand, not a permanent hang on stand or ground blind.

It's not easy, with some practice you won't even hate it as bad after a while. But it does take some trial & error to work out a system of transport, holding, etc... Heck, as much as I'm whining now, I actually don't mind it all that much anymore. So experiment a little, get some field time with your equipment and I wish you the best of luck this season.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think a lot of the responses are missing the fact that he's carrying a climbing tree stand on his back PLUS a backpack PLUS a crossbow. From experience I can tell you that that arrangement sux large hairy ba*ls. Carrying a crossbow is awful enuf on its own, but without a 25 lb hunk of metal on your back you can sling the x-bow very comfortably. The tree stand parts hang down low enuf & to each side enuf that when you carry the x-box in your hands, which is not an evenly distributed weighted item, nor is it streamlined, it will hook and bang and snag on damn near everything. I usually end up carrying it extendedout from my body to keep from making a ton of noise and/or damaging the bow, then become arm-fatigued pretty quickly.

Did I mention that sitting for hours in a tree with that unwieldy item isn't any picnic either? There's no real good way to hold it on your stand like with a vertical bow holder. You can try the overhead tree hanger Arms, but that doesn't put the bow in a terribly good position to grab it when you need to get ready. The "cross" part won't let you sit it in a rifle/gun holder. I usually end up holding it in my lap all day, and after 4 hours. Want to spike it 30 ft down to the ground. Fun and easy to shoot deer with, awful to "hunt" wth.

As fa as walking in/out, Yes, most of those x-box packs are junk, but some are quite genius and really work. If they still make it or not IDK, but Lone Wolf made one that makes me jealous of my buddy whenever I hunt with him. Again remember this response is regarding a climbing stand, not a permanent hang on stand or ground blind.

It's not easy, with some practice you won't even hate it as bad after a while. But it does take some trial & error to work out a system of transport, holding, etc... Heck, as much as I'm whining now, I actually don't mind it all that much anymore. So experiment a little, get some field time with your equipment and I wish you the best of luck this season.

Welcome to deer hunting. If cross bows are soooo hard, get a vertical bow. If it was easy, every swinging dick would do it. I don't know of anyone who humps a climber and hangs their bow on it. Just like a rifle(and vertical bow), ya gotta carry it. If I'm changing stands(moving my climber) for an afternoon set, I can expect to take upwards to an hour to walk 100 yds to my tree. I'm into that. It's part of the 'fun'. You will not here me coming. You will not see me coming.

I don't mean to be harsh. It's just that...

...and yes, I did hunt one year with a cross bow. Hard to carry. Easy to kill with.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Not taking it as harsh, no worries. Just trying to give the poster the heads up that it's a good bit more difficult to hunt with an x-bow, but with a plan and practice it could be pretty successful. For the record, I AM and always have been a vertical bow hunter. Had to x-bow for a while when my shoulder exploded. All healed up now, mostly standard bow full time but still x-bow some since I do own it and like to switch it up from time to time.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Just rest the crossbow fore-end on the shooting rail of the treestand??? Thats what I do. I have been known to take naps, wake up when I hear the deer, and thwack!

My crossbow is the easiest thing I have. If I did not pack my backpack like a hoarder going on a 2 week camping trip, it might be easier to get in and out of the woods. Hunting with a vertical bow is not any "easier."

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Just rest the crossbow fore-end on the shooting rail of the treestand??? Thats what I do. I have been known to take naps, wake up when I hear the deer, and thwack!

My crossbow is the easiest thing I have. If I did not pack my backpack like a hoarder going on a 2 week camping trip, it might be easier to get in and out of the woods. Hunting with a vertical bow is not any "easier."
    That's typically what I do as well, when I have the Ol' Man positioned with the shooting rail "up" as a shooting rail instead of "down" as a foot rest. I prefer not to have a grip of it though, with the forend on the rail I have to hold the stock or tuck it between my arm or leg & the side of the stand. I'd prefer to be hands free for the most part. I'm fine with it now, but it took plenty of practice & trial & error for me to get over the fear of dropping it out of the tree, or not having it in a more favorable position to be ready for a shot. I've tried almost every hook & holder I could find..and for me the best way is exactly as you suggest.

I hear you on the over packing too. My father routinely makes fun of me. "But Dad, I might need.....".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

:D Guilty as charged. All my buds give me a hard time about all the junk I carry, but I can survive a couple days if need be, should I get injured and am unable to make my way.

Edit: Just started a new thread on what's in a deer pack.

Last edited:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I use a cheapo 3pt sling to help support the weight while walking while keeping it ready to use. Added a belt loop to hold the attach point up higher on my chest.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    reviews-of-the-best-slings-for-crossbows.jpg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    [/B]

:D Guilty as charged. All my buds give me a hard time about all the junk I carry, but I can survive a couple days if need be, should I get injured and am unable to make my way.

My bow kit:
    Very nice. Looks familiar, minus a few items (lighter, Ozonics, bleat can, tree hanger). Add in a dozen cinnamon & raisin Quaker Chewy Granola Bars and there I am. Glad I'm not the only one. This could end up as a separate, entertaining thread topic - "show us your hunting packs"....

Not to sidetrack this thread, but how do you like that Ozonics? Work as advertised?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very nice. Looks familiar, minus a few items (lighter, Ozonics, bleat can, tree hanger). Add in a dozen cinnamon & raisin Quaker Chewy Granola Bars and there I am. Glad I'm not the only one. This could end up as a separate, entertaining thread topic - "show us your hunting packs"....

Not to sidetrack this thread, but how do you like that Ozonics? Work as advertised?
    Yes, I did a thread on it a couple years back. Found it!

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=166747&highlight=ozonics

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    I use a soft crossbow case that goes over your shoulder (about $27 at SG). Mine is large enough to fit other items inside (pillow, teddy bear etc.). Use a fanny pack to carry your other items. Not sure of the size of the ozonic units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom