Anyone use airsoft pistols to supplement training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've been doing the USPSA matches TMGN and am trying to improve my performance. I am getting a lot better by doing dry fire drills everyday and live fire 2x a week.

I am thinking about getting an airsoft version of the gen 3 Glock 19 that I compete with. Is airsoft a useful training tool or a waste of time?

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I've been doing the USPSA matches TMGN and am trying to improve my performance. I am getting a lot better by doing dry fire drills everyday and live fire 2x a week.

I am thinking about getting an airsoft version of the gen 3 Glock 19 that I compete with. Is airsoft a useful training tool or a waste of time?

I think it would be good if the trigger characteristics are the same. I was thinking of getting the SIRT pistol for dry firing. You should check it out.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to throw this out here. When I shot bowling pins, my times for 6 pins was in the 10+ second range. I picked up a semi-auto airsoft pistol and practiced in my back yard for a week, shooting at cans spaced apart about the same distance as the pins. Recoil was pretty close to my real pistols. I hit 2.4 seconds and placed second overall that Sunday. YMMV.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    As long as you supplement with live fire (which you are), I think it can definitely be valuable. It is a lot more economical to work on presentation out of the holster when you are only shooting bbs. I have a replica of my PPQ that I do holster work, mag changes and general gun handling drills with from time to time. If your budget allows, I recommend gas blowback guns for added realism. They simulate a little recoil, lock back on empty, etc.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Most of the glock clones will have to be ordered from overwseas because of trademark issues.

There are a few "not a glock" models availavle domestically. I have a kwa atp. Weight is about the same, trigger is lighter, recoil is there, but light, it fits my blackhawk and uncle mikes holster, but not my safariland. Its decent for drills and practice.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Most of the glock clones will have to be ordered from overwseas because of trademark issues.

There are a few "not a glock" models availavle domestically. I have a kwa atp. Weight is about the same, trigger is lighter, recoil is there, but light, it fits my blackhawk and uncle mikes holster, but not my safariland. Its decent for drills and practice.

I'll check that model out, thanks. Doesn't have to be a Glock.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Eh, I played with it some. It adds a little to your training with the sights and slide moving. But, after a while I stopped. Dry fire is just as effective and easier to do. I don't need gas, or BB's or to worry about making a mess. The mags freeze up when you shoot a lot so you need spares, and maybe a heating pad to help warm them up. The gun will break with heavy use.

But, it still depends if it motivates you to practice it will have benifits. For me, I dry fire twice a day Monday through Friday, 15-20 min per session. That's got me M, and I'm sure I could get GM if I focused on classifier skills a little more. If you want to spend some money get one of those dry fire mags to reset the trigger in your glock. When I shot a glock I would just stick something behind the barrel hood keeping the gun out of battery. This allows the trigger to move making multiple dry fire trigger pulls a little better.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I bought a fairly expensive STI type clone airsoft gun from Korea a few years ago ($200 in 2012) to do winter practice in Steel Challenge, but that was about the time we lost the only venue we had at the time (York IWLA) that had matches. So it has sat in the box for a few years. But now that we have several venues to do that I plan on using it this winter. But not having a garage anymore I might need to clean out my shed or use it outside. But yes it is a good then to do. All the Japanese shooters that finish high in the WSSC can only shoot airsoft in Japan so they do everything there with airsoft. They store real firearms in the USA that they use for competition at the world steel match here.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6aRyxSPHmc

i think any dry or live fire you do helps you. above is a small steel array i set up in our basement, made mostly out of electric box covers and cut-up hvac housings and the like. as noted above, the "blowback" guns are a little more realistic regarding recoil.

I've thought of making some similar targets after seeing expensive commercial models advertised.

Any chance you could post some more information about how you made those?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

I have a Glock replica air soft and do recommend it.
    I think it would be good if the trigger characteristics are the same. I was thinking of getting the SIRT pistol for dry firing. You should check it out.
    I also have the sirt pistol and recommend it as well.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As long as you supplement with live fire (which you are), I think it can definitely be valuable. It is a lot more economical to work on presentation out of the holster when you are only shooting bbs. I have a replica of my PPQ that I do holster work, mag changes and general gun handling drills with from time to time. If your budget allows, I recommend gas blowback guns for added realism. They simulate a little recoil, lock back on empty, etc.

Where's your PPQ replica from? M1 model with trigger guard mag release?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    attached are a few close-up pics. i got some heavier gauge sheet metal (i think from an old a/c housing) and using a bandsaw cut out bases for the targets. i bent the base up in the front (using a vice) to cover/protect the bottoms of the targets where i used hinges to attach them to the base.

the targets i mostly used lighter gauge sheet metal and also metal electric box covers readily available at home depot etc. got the hinges and bolted them to the bases.

bandsaw worked great but can of course use a hacksaw or even a table saw, jigsaw or circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

these are a bunch of fun to shoot but frankly as many competitions/events i've been doing over the weekends, i haven't hit the basement airsoft in a while.

this def leaves a mess in the basement, plastic bb's everywhere! wear eye protection!

Attachments

• basement steel1.jpg
      basement steel1.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 256
    • basementsteel2.jpg
      basementsteel2.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 268
    • basementsteel3.jpg
      basementsteel3.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 265

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A co-worker of mine who is a USPSA Grand Master uses airsoft. He and his wife put cardboard targets up on the walls of their house and practice self defense shots from different places in the room, sitting down, couch, etc... Not so much for his competition training.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    A co-worker of mine who is a USPSA Grand Master uses airsoft. He and his wife put cardboard targets up on the walls of their house and practice self defense shots from different places in the room, sitting down, couch, etc... Not so much for his competition training.
    I dented doors and walls in my old house that way right after it was remodeled. Went right through the cardboard. Oops...

The better quality air soft guns kick those pellets out pretty fast and forceful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom