Visit by Homeland Security yesterday for... a scope purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awg9tech

Jan 7, 2013
    Oh yeah...long time lurker here. First time post. Blah blah blah..pleased to meet 'cha yadda yadda yadda

Just couldn't pass up a good example of classic interview techniques.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Oh yeah...long time lurker here. First time post. Blah blah blah..pleased to meet 'cha yadda yadda yadda

Just couldn't pass up a good example of classic interview techniques.
    It does sound like they did their jobs very well...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Interesting long time lurkers making their debuts in this thread lol

Guys let me make it clear, outside of the scope questioning nothing else was questioned. What went beyond was all my part in terms of friendly talk. Maybe I didn’t make it obvious enough. So the conspiracy theories on them wanting to know my favorite cereal, if I even like long walks on the beach, mayo or miracle whip on my sandwich is a bit extreme. I’m no an engineer for nasa but I’m also no dumb dumb. Just went thru my investigation for MSP for my CC permit might as well get investigated by the feds while I’m at it..
    I went it into the interview already assuming they knew all the answers to all the questions.. it’s HSI, pretty sure enough money has been thrown there way to know a little about everyone with current technology.
    Social media alone already has plenty of info about you whether you like it or not, selling it to any company for pennies..
    I am a firm believer over the next 10-20yrs absolutely nothing will be of secret, cameras everywhere be it dash cams, smart tv’s, activating your smartphone cam, gps tabs on your entire life via cell phone/smart watches/vehicle gps, drones/blimps, so on and so forth will be the norm. We will see a lot more examples of folks rights being infringed on in the name of protecting the public. It’s up to us to reverse it and go back to following our constitution, holding people like James Clapper responsible to the fullest extent of the law would be a good start

Interesting long time lurkers making their debuts in this thread lol

Guys let me make it clear, outside of the scope questioning nothing else was questioned. What went beyond was all my part in terms of friendly talk. Maybe I didn’t make it obvious enough. So the conspiracy theories on them wanting to know my favorite cereal, if I even like long walks on the beach, mayo or miracle whip on my sandwich is a bit extreme. I’m no an engineer for nasa but I’m also no dumb dumb. Just went thru my investigation for MSP for my CC permit might as well get investigated by the feds while I’m at it..
    I went it into the interview already assuming they knew all the answers to all the questions.. it’s HSI, pretty sure enough money has been thrown there way to know a little about everyone with current technology.
    Social media alone already has plenty of info about you whether you like it or not, selling it to any company for pennies..
    I am a firm believer over the next 10-20yrs absolutely nothing will be of secret, cameras everywhere be it dash cams, smart tv’s, activating your smartphone cam, gps tabs on your entire life via cell phone/smart watches/vehicle gps, drones/blimps, so on and so forth will be the norm. We will see a lot more examples of folks rights being infringed on in the name of protecting the public. It’s up to us to reverse it and go back to following our constitution, holding people like James Clapper responsible to the fullest extent of the law would be a good start

This thread was the feature of MDS' weekly email sent to members.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    all I have to say is a lot of mistrust for LEOs when it comes to questioning, some of it is expected by certain members that had to jump into this thread. I prescribe two rolls of tinfoil and a good nights sleep.

mrchiro

Nov 17, 2015
    squaregrouper; said:

That’s how I knew about it - not everything interests me but this topic did.

OP: Making debut? Why are you defensive? Obviously you made it public so you’re going to receive critiques and opinions etc. sheesh if you didn’t want any of this, you shouldn’t have posted. A lot of members were triggered by the topic via email and made very good valid posts. Maybe its my second post but it doesn’t mean I’m a newb. I don’t even read much here but I do enjoy good topic(s) such as this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awg9tech

Jan 7, 2013
    What went beyond was all my part in terms of friendly talk.
    That's kind of the point and the mark of a good interviewer. You're in control of the discussion. You're talking about mundane day-to-day stuff. You even mention the weather once or twice. Pretty soon you're complaining about Maryland laws, handgun rosters, magazine pinning, wait times and out of state FFL’s avoiding Marylanders........etc
    Maybe I didn’t make it obvious enough. So the conspiracy theories on them wanting to know my favorite cereal, if I even like long walks on the beach, mayo or miracle whip on my sandwich is a bit extreme.
    Good "investigating" practices and interviewing techniques have gone passed theory and are regularly put in to practice.
    I am a firm believer over the next 10-20yrs absolutely nothing will be of secret, cameras everywhere be it dash cams, smart tv’s, activating your smartphone cam, gps tabs on your entire life via cell phone/smart watches/vehicle gps, drones/blimps, so on and so forth will be the norm.
    You're about 10-20 years too late with your prediction.
    It’s up to us to reverse it and go back to following our constitution, holding people like James Clapper responsible to the fullest extent of the law would be a good start
    Look Mister, I'm not trying to bust your balls here. You did exactly what 99% of your neighbors would do. What they have been taught to do.

However, you're not going to get to hold Clapper responsible to the fullest extent of the law. What you can do, is make it closer to the norm for 99% of your neighbors to say "come back with a warrant".

If you want the Constitution to be followed, simply exercise your rights thereof. Do it often, and especially do it when the situation in your doing so makes you "the bad guy".

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co

Gotcha.. must not have that turned that on in my settings, can’t recall a email from MDS ever

That’s how I knew about it - not everything interests me but this topic did.

OP: Making debut? Why are you defensive? Obviously you made it public so you’re going to receive critiques and opinions etc. sheesh if you didn’t want any of this, you shouldn’t have posted. A lot of members were triggered by the topic via email and made very good valid posts. Maybe its my second post but it doesn’t mean I’m a newb. I don’t even read much here but I do enjoy good topic(s) such as this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so much about being defensive as much as my curiosity towards random inactive SN’s jumping on the what did you was wrong Train. Breaking down every aspect of the conversation as if they were there..
    I have zero issue with being critiqued, as long as it’s in a more professional way as if you were talking to me face to face not hidden behind a random SN. Keep in mind this post was partially to make fellow members aware that fed visits are a very real thing if they were not already well aware. I think it’s a good thread to let those who literally never have LE interaction and how to go about it, with respect to officers and respect to your own rights

That's kind of the point and the mark of a good interviewer. You're in control of the discussion. You're talking about mundane day-to-day stuff. You even mention the weather once or twice. Pretty soon you're complaining about Maryland laws, handgun rosters, magazine pinning, wait times and out of state FFL’s avoiding Marylanders........etc

Good "investigating" practices and interviewing techniques have gone passed theory and are regularly put in to practice.

You're about 10-20 years too late with your prediction.

Look Mister, I'm not trying to bust your balls here. You did exactly what 99% of your neighbors would do. What they have been taught to do.

However, you're not going to get to hold Clapper responsible to the fullest extent of the law. What you can do, is make it closer to the norm for 99% of your neighbors to say "come back with a warrant".

If you want the Constitution to be followed, simply exercise your rights thereof. Do it often, and especially do it when the situation in your doing so makes you "the bad guy".

Noted, again don’t mind the critiques so long as it’s not beating a dead horse over and over. I don’t really have any regrets but next time based on the community response it’s fair to say, I’ll be outside with my door closed and my lawyer phoned with the request to see a warrant for anything beyond a hello and a handshake.
    I just hope this thread helps others that are inexperienced in a simple interaction like this, that may also seem innocent/harmless but may go very badly for them without any justification in the end.
    I’ve seen several horror stories posted online (always 3 sides to a story) where someone spent several thousands to prove they are innocent of any wrong doing, which is unacceptable but a sad reality

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Please search youtube for "James Duane", "Dont talk to the police"

They were "friendly and a pleasure to talk to" because in their experience as LEO people do a better job of giving them incriminating tidbits to use against them. Works better than thumbscrews and shouting.

Cops put together puzzles. Sometimes their puzzle pictures are 100% BS. a la Duane, they could have had a 99% complete idea in their heads that was completely false, and you willingly gave them some perfectly innocent tidbit that "completed the picture."

What chills me about your account is that they didnt need to drive all the way to your house to see what you bought on ebay, they can go to ebay for that. Payment information, ditto, bank/paypal will cough that up gladly. USPS/UPS/FEDEX, same. Asking you things they could get (indeed probably already got and this was a "pop quiz" to see if you would diverge. Again, "James Duane Dont talk to cops"

Thanks I haven’t been able to watch the whole video yet but watched the beginning and can certainly learn a lot from it

Anyone remember Gunpal? A short lived pay site for facilitating purchases of firearms?

All kinds of problems

I really wish someone would step up, sending a check by snail mail is really annoying its 2018 :/

Hopefully Full30 takes off as they invest more money into. Youtube seems to be getting worse every month not just 2a related

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    OP:

>Don’t tread on me, unless you’re nice about it and I don’t have anything to hide

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    OP:

>Don’t tread on me, unless you’re nice about it and I don’t have anything to hide

I’m sure you would have did your best impression of Rambo or Die Hard if this took place at your house, ain’t that right?

I was thinking if I get another post out of you in this thread, I’ll make up for nearly 17% of your lifetime post since May of 2017. I’m no HSI agent but I think I know why you picked your screen name

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’m sure you would have did your best impression of Rambo or Die Hard if this took place at your house, ain’t that right?

I was thinking if I get another post out of you in this thread, I’ll make up for nearly 17% of your lifetime post since May of 2017. I’m no HSI agent but I think I know why you picked your screen name

Lol boom roasted!!!!!!

OP you did the right thing.

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017

WAT.jpg

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    This country is where it is because people keep bending over and spreading them for these piece of shit statists.

If more people would use the work NO, we wouldn't be so far down the road to totalitarian no consequences government.
    The boomer generation ruined this country. All the rights and treasure lost forever to get them dopers and kid touchers.
    I must have missed all the asterisks in the constitution and the * saying "except for the common good and public safety"
    1st, 2nd, 4th, etc. They might as well be toilet paper.

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    This country is where it is because people keep bending over and spreading them for these piece of shit statists.

If more people would use the word NO, we wouldn't be so far down the road to totalitarian no consequences government.
    The boomer generation ruined this country. All the rights and treasure lost forever to get them dopers and kid touchers.
    I must have missed all the asterisks in the constitution and the * saying "except for the common good and public safety"
    1st, 2nd, 4th, etc. They might as well be toilet paper.

But Deersniper you only have 29 posts your opinion doesn’t matter! /s

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm constantly amazed by how many really smart people we have on our little forum.

Similarly, I'm constantly amazed by the tone some of those "really smart" people take with each other.

This thread reminds me why I so look forward to meet ups. The realist in me knows that some of those "really smart people" are unlikely to show in person.

I wonder why not.

A reiteration to the OP. Thanks again for posting. Thanks again for your patience and class when dealing with anything but from many "contributors." As always, I learned a lot. Not the least of which was a manners reminder and yet another demonstration set for on line ignorance.

clingy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 12, 2017
    A reiteration to the OP. Thanks again for posting. Thanks again for your patience and class when dealing with anything but from many "contributors."

OP:

Classy and patient?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom