• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    You cannot go wrong with a good shotgun by your side!! The window for an AR is closing though. If you eventually want both, then buy the shorty and a stripped lower receiver which you can build out later.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Having carry both M4 & shotguns in the military. I did like using the shotgun more in urban settings (good fit for home defense) than the M4 (AR).

Came across this article http://westernshootingjournal.com/shotgun/home-defense-shotgun-tactics-2/

What do you all think?

Redding, California!?!?!?!?!?!? :shocked3:
    Welcome to MDS, btw!!!

For me, NOTHING beats a 12 ga Remington 870 for HD. Nothing!

Now, IF I had several acres that I had to protect, then I might change my mind to either an AR platform, or quite possibly an M1A/M14 platform rifle.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Get an AR befoe the ban get the shotgun afterwards since it wiln most likely still be a CNC unless its a Siaga 12

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    For defensive purposes the AR15 is a better platform.
    Its lighter, shorter, less recoil, more range, preforms better against armor, has more than three times the ammo capacity, etc.

That being said, you should have at least one of each and ultimately choose the one you are most comfortable with.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Since the OP isn't in MD., I don't think the Oct. deadline is going to have much effect on them. ;)

It's a tough choice for me. The shotgun has a few things going for it. Sheer power (when slugs are used). Versatility (slugs, buck, bird, specialty ammo). And simplicity (assuming we're talking pump actions that is).

Although the AR has a few things going for it as well. Ammo capacity, Range, Precision, Versatility (need a heavier hitting round, pop 2 pins and go to a diff't upper such as 6.8, etc.).

Too many diff't scenarios and enviroments come into play for me to make a final decision.

If I had to choose at the spur of the moment, I'd lean towards the AR personally. Even though I'm quite comfortable with a shotgun as well.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I had similar thoughts last year. I ended up selling my shotgun and got a second AR.

The reasoning was very simple - I shoot the AR much better. I'm more accurate with it and can have faster follow up shots (29+ shots in fact! ;-). Apart from ergo's that just work for me, I can find more places where I can practice with an AR using the ammo I normally would have to use. With a shotgun, I can only use slugs at the ranges I go to. I also can shoot the AR cheaper (well, for the most part). In the end, I can shoot more frequently, longer and more focused with the AR. All this makes me better with it then any shotgun.

Secondary benefit is over penetration. From what I gathered, M193/XM193 loadings will not go through walls.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Ruger LCP in your pocket...

I read an article once years ago in a gun rag that had a picture of a pinup-esq girl by the title "Sure a Tommy Gun is Great, but I can't hide one in my Panties". Wiser words were never spoken.

A tool for every job. I have a hard time playing the "if I had only one gun" game... there just isn't a right answer.
    ;)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For defensive purposes the AR15 is a better platform.
    Its lighter, shorter, less recoil, more range, preforms better against armor, has more than three times the ammo capacity, etc.

That being said, you should have at least one of each and ultimately choose the one you are most comfortable with.

When the trauma plate bounces off of your spine from a 12ga slug penetration is less of an issue.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I plan on concentrating on my 870P shotgun purchases after October 1st. They make wonderful Christmas presents. :)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Urban settings? Get a Tavor.

I have an M4 carbine and an M4 benelli shotgun. Both are common weapons issued by he US Mlitary and most likely the best in each of their class. Apples and Oranges. Each has attributes that make ideal for certain situations, but neither one is perfect.

If I can only choose one weapon for CQB/MOUT applications, the M4 Carbine will be my choice. It allows for engagements from zero to 300 yards. Packs enough firepower, easy to operate and light.

The shotgun, requires a bit more skill. But can used effectively to lay down as much hurt as a full auto MP5. A skilled shotgunner can be a formidable force. But again, shotguns require a lot more training as compared to a MSR. It is also very difficult to find facilities that allow one to shoot shotguns in an offensive or combat modality. At close range, the slug or buckshot is devastating. However,the shotgun loses advantage when distance comes into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom