• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I am looking to get the wife a pistol so she can shoot with me. She has had past training and experience shooting but it's been 15 years. I am looking at 22LR to ease her back into it. I have narrowed my choices to three models, a Walther P22 QD, a Ruger SR22, and an M&P 22 Compact.
    What are your experiences with any of these three?

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I am looking to get the wife a pistol so she can shoot with me. She has had past training and experience shooting but it's been 15 years. I am looking at 22LR to ease her back into it. I have narrowed my choices to three models, a Walther P22 QD, a Ruger SR22, and an M&P 22 Compact.
    What are your experiences with any of these three?

all 3 very nice. my only comment would be that when you say "I have narrowed my choices", you should really be saying "she has narrowed her choices". she needs to be part of the process.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Ruger is probably the the standard when it comes to .22LR pistols. The others are fine as well but maybe she should handle each and see which feels most natural and comfortable in her hands.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    all 3 very nice. my only comment would be that when you say "I have narrowed my choices", you should really be saying "she has narrowed her choices". she needs to be part of the process.

this times a million. She wont shot a pistol she does not like. Heck, maybe you'll discover she likes old fashioned 22 revolvers or single actions like the Ruger Single 10.

OP, take her to a range and let her rent a few and see what she likes. I am pretty sure that the machine gun nest in Frederick has all those pistols you mention, plus some revolvers to rent. They let you switch rental guns for free as as I recall.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Post number #2

Back when I was instructing handgun classes, when presenting new shooter students to different handguns, they always gravitated toward the mid size guns. That was males and females.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'd have to go with the Ruger SR22, but I'd make sure she didn't want to go with a new Mark IV or earlier. If she's a fan of plastic pistols, I think the Ruger would be the way to go. But if I had my choice, I'd go with one of the Mark series. There's something about steel and wood that makes one want to take it out of the safe every now and again and look at it. That's not so easy to do with plastic pistols, but then everyone's got their druthers. Just see which she'd rather have.

HD1200S

May 6, 2013
    Let her choose

I agree, let her pick out her own pistol. If all she plans to do is punch paper why a short gun? Show her the new Ruger MkIV line, the Beretta Neos, and the browning Buckmark. All are nice shooting and accurate. I have had the pleasure to shoot all of these. Side note: A longer barrel gives you a better sight radius as well.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger MK series pistols. The other that I would no over look is the Smith & Wesson Victory with the threaded barrel. It's fairly reasonably priced too.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I got the Walther PPQ 22 with threaded barrel. Trigger is fantastic and so far it shoots everything I put into it, including super dirty bulk ammo. Extremely comfortable shooter as well.

+1

the Walther has become my favorite rimfire handgun. It has a better trigger than most centerfire pistols

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I recommend AGAINST the Ruger SR22.

I bought one for my wife as her first gun. It is nice, easy to shoot, and being a 22 inexpensive to run.

The one big problem is that it is very ammo and dirt sensitive. Fte (extract) after an active hour at the range. Also doesn't like federal lead tip rounds, causing ftf.

Having to clean a plinker pistol after an hour of shooting, to prevent extract failures, is not something I'd recommend.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I can say that my Ruger SR22 shoots well and I haven't had a single failure. No, I haven't put thousands of rounds through yet it but it has done a LOT better than my Sig Mosquito (cue laughter) ever did. I have a MK II that's, well, a MK II. Reliable, accurate, easy to deal with. NO recoil. Great target gun.

So here's how it went with MY wife: She had only been shooting a couple of times in her life so I brought her to the range and took along a .380 that was very reliable and my Sig 226. She fired the .380 (Nice group!) and basically threw it aside, picked up the 9mm and it's been "Her gun" ever since. <sigh> At least I'm able to use it anytime I want... ;-) So, fact is, the .380 was just too small for her, didn't feel "substantial." She loved the 226 from the first second. Who knew? So, it's really going to depend on her preferences. Maybe she'll like polymer....maybe she'll prefer steel. My wife really likes my VP9 but isn't crazy about my FN-FNS. No rationale for it, just "is" and I'm the same way. So the suggestion to go to a range with the option to switch out guns is a very good one. Nothing worse than spending the time/money/effort to get her something that she is not going to like for some reason. You never know what her preference might be but, by trying different guns (and different calibers), she just might hit on something that she really likes and it'll be hers for life.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I agree with everyone that is saying to let her pick it out.
    I can tell you I have the M&P 22 compact and it is a great little pistol. It runs great and is pretty accurate. I would not hesitate to recommend it as a purchase.

offCenter

Just a guy
    Jul 24, 2012
    You say it has been a while since she has had training. No disrespect to your skills, but maybe you could suggest she sign up for a Women on Target handgun class. These classes are held just for women and the instructor cadre is all-female when possible. One side benefit is that the students get to try many different makes and models of .22 cal handguns. As others have mentioned, it is difficult to determine what she will find as her best fit so it's nice to try several.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    You say it has been a while since she has had training. No disrespect to your skills, but maybe you could suggest she sign up for a Women on Target handgun class. These classes are held just for women and the instructor cadre is all-female when possible. One side benefit is that the students get to try many different makes and models of .22 cal handguns. As others have mentioned, it is difficult to determine what she will find as her best fit so it's nice to try several.

I've have discussed this with Deb at my local gun shop. She will be in the next women's training group. I plan on taking a refresher myself soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom