• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    I have a MP-22 that my kids use for Rimfire matches. They use the CCI AR Tactical for dependability in the match.

My question: What specifications on ammo would I look for that would, in a perfect world, be better for reliability in a semi-automatic pistol?

Higher or lower fps?
    Higher or lower grain
    Muzzle energy?

I would like to find another type of ammo to but I want to be able to focus my search and buy a couple different boxes to try.

thanks

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Buy ammo made for semi autos. Trial and error of go-to favorites, too. I have used different ammo brands/grades with VERY similar ballistics. One brand would cycle the action fine, another wasn’t reliable. A couple of those unreliable brands were the board’s accuracy favorites of the high velocity genre. The pressure curve in semi auto ammo delivers a greater pulse to the bolt. I have used TAC 22 and AR Tactical with success. CCI Mini Mags are always reliable.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Buy ammo made for semi autos. Trial and error of go-to favorites, too. I have used different ammo brands/grades with VERY similar ballistics. One brand would cycle the action fine, another wasn’t reliable. A couple of those unreliable brands were the board’s accuracy favorites of the high velocity genre. The pressure curve in semi auto ammo delivers a greater pulse to the bolt. I have used TAC 22 and AR Tactical with success. CCI Mini Mags are always reliable.

Indeed! Might not always group the best, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has ever found CCI MINI-MAGS to be unreliable. OP might be able to start and end right here.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I omitted the velocity info. Some of the semi auto type ammo will start about 1050 fps and go up from there. It seems counter intuitive a 1200 fps load won’t reliably cycle an action but a 1080 fps load will. As mentioned, the load impulse is a huge factor. MiniMags work because they are mini MAGS and have a good impulse. Contrary to that, when I can get reliable ignition from one other well know ammo company’s high velocity ammo it doesn’t cycle the action as well as it should. Granted, the arm I am referring to is a 22 conversion on a 1911. These can be finicky, but much has been done to get this pistol at 100%. I actually get good results with Thunderbolt with the occasion light load, once in awhile a misfire. BUT, it still cycles the action when it goes bang.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I think it would be important to know what pistol you would be using to get the best answer or experience based answer. I can tell you that America eagle is the only.22 ammo that I have had any problems with out of my M&P 22c. It has fed and cycled everything else I have fed it with 100% reliability.
    Most pistols will not have enough barrel length to see super sonic speed so that should not matter much. Unless you need something supersonic to get enough blowback to cycle the action I would just buy a bunch of different brands to see what groups best. Most bulk Ammo will probably work fine for rimfire challenge type shooting since it is a speed match versus a presision shooting style match.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    (Presuming we're not discussing serious $$ Target Ammo .)

Is there some problem with the Federal AutoMatch you already have a supply of in your pistol(s) ? It's quality stuff, and worked fine in everything I used it with .

CCI Solids are the Gold Standard for reliability . When (whatever) is unreliable with some other ammo , you try MiniMags . If you still have problems, it's a gun problem, not an ammo problem .

That said ; As the recent drought of .22lr started to break , the first ammo I came across in Full Cases was Aguilla RN , with choice of Std Vel or HV , for same price . I selected HV , because I was willing to trade off percieved slight accuracy advantage , for percieved theoretical advantage of being reliable in widest variety of autoloaders .

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    I recommend the 40gr copper plated rn cci mini mag. I use these in my 10/22 with no problems. They run 1235 fps. 22s are dirty, you have to keep the gun clean.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    haha, I love Remington vipers. Probably not the most accurate, but so much fun to shoot in my opinion.

fed auto match and mini mags are great for reliability/ fun to shoot median.

CCI standards bore me so even though ill get flamed for it, I sold most of mine and almost never shoot them.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have preferred high velocity ammo for pistols. Basically anything rated between 1200 FPS to 1330 FPS. Anything that fits in that range and has CCI printed on the box. Lots of other varieties that maybe fine also but you need to find out what the firearm likes to feed. Try different ammo till you find that best one.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i like cci mini mags, but take along some different brands the next time you go out. you may be surprised by what your rifle likes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While .22lr HV ammo is nominally rated for 1235-ish fps , from 4in handguns is generally in 900's .

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I bought a bunch of Aguila. The stuff is waxy and I think slightly over size in diameter. If I load a single stack pistol magazine, and strip off a round it doesn't budge or will slowly rise. I took some to load in a SA revolver, and some rounds were extremely hard to seat, compared to CCI which drops in easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom