• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A .223 with good hunting bullet properly placed will easily drop smallish eastern whitetails up to 100 yds. The DNR is aware that killing power is a combination of velocity, mass and proper expansion, which is why they specified the minimum in foot pounds and not caliber. It's all about bullet placement. In fact I could kill a deer with my BB gun if I wanted to ;-) Well okay maybe I won't go that far. To the poster who thinks a 400 grain arrow will do more damage than a .223, have you heard of hydrostatic shock? Check out YouTube for .223 tests in ballistic gel for penetration and wound channel. One test with v-max bullets shows a 3-4" diameter wound cavity. There is no way an arrow can do that much damage. A poor shot with a .300 magnum is only going to wound the animal and leave it to die hours or days later. I once saw a group of hunters open up on a herd of western mule deer. Later I spotted a doe running full tilt a half mile away with her entire digestive tract dragging ten feet behind her. I'm sure the caliber used was more than adequate.

It always amazes me how tough animals are and how far and fast they can travel mortally wounded.

If it were a human, the person would be sitting next to a tree while alternating between sucking on their thumb and calling out for their mother.

Yet we still think were IT.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Humans used to be a lot tougher. Reading this book on the Apache and what sort of childhood training they went through and what some could do in their 70s. Nothing short of amazing. It's lifestyle and needing to survive in a harsh environment.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have shot five or six with .223s. As everyone agrees, shot placement is critical. Though it's not the first rifle i'd choose, I do it as novelty. Like shooting them with handguns. No deer I shot ever went more than 30 yards.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It always amazes me how tough animals are and how far and fast they can travel mortally wounded.

If it were a human, the person would be sitting next to a tree while alternating between sucking on their thumb and calling out for their mother.

Yet we still think were IT.

:thumbsup:

I shot one with a muzzle loader and it had a hole the size of a silver dollar coming out and it still managed to run 80yds...tough as nails! I know a big difference between .223 and a muzzle loader but just goes to show you the strength of them..

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm eyeing a 6.8 upper for deer, coyote, and hogs. Or a Windham .308. One of the two. I like 5.56 in 68-77 grain bullets, I really do, but I like 95-110 and 150-175 a whole lot better, and as rarely as I get the chance to hunt these last few years, I just don't feel like screwing around.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'm looking at the 6.8 again myself. I want it scoped with backup irons under the scope mount. Someone pointed me to the RRA coyote carbine upper in 6.8, with heavy barrel. It's 740.00. I have a VX-1 scope already on rings/mount, but need to adapt it to my needs. I have a stripped lower I want to finish. I need in-person help for the lower work and scope mounting.

I figure the 6.8 will still get me a downed deer within 75 yards of where it was hit. Maybe I will be lucky most of the time and they will run towards my in/out path and further up closer to my truck LOL.

My other option is the AR10. The Bank had one a while back for 1000.00 ( DPMS). Oh and pray that Cecil stays a rifle county. I know the .308 is similar to the .270 in velocity and foot pounds, and I know that takes a deer down nicely.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I'm looking at the 6.8 again myself. I want it scoped with backup irons under the scope mount. Someone pointed me to the RRA coyote carbine upper in 6.8, with heavy barrel. It's 740.00. I have a VX-1 scope already on rings/mount, but need to adapt it to my needs. I have a stripped lower I want to finish. I need in-person help for the lower work and scope mounting.

I figure the 6.8 will still get me a downed deer within 75 yards of where it was hit. Maybe I will be lucky most of the time and they will run towards my in/out path and further up closer to my truck LOL.

My other option is the AR10. The Bank had one a while back for 1000.00 ( DPMS). Oh and pray that Cecil stays a rifle county. I know the .308 is similar to the .270 in velocity and foot pounds, and I know that takes a deer down nicely.

.308 works great on deer all the deer i've shot drop in less than 10 yards. I shot 3 deer with my 300 aac blackout this year and the farthest one went 30 yards. The 6.8 should be fine as long as you do your part. I'm a blackout fan but I think either will suit your needs.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    .308 works great on deer all the deer i've shot drop in less than 10 yards. I shot 3 deer with my 300 aac blackout this year and the farthest one went 30 yards. The 6.8 should be fine as long as you do your part. I'm a blackout fan but I think either will suit your needs.

I'm pretty good at "doing my part" LOL, but feedback is good before going on any buying sprees. I'd like to get an AR10 just to have one though. I'm furbuying right now and need to make more money first.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Humans used to be a lot tougher. Reading this book on the Apache and what sort of childhood training they went through and what some could do in their 70s. Nothing short of amazing. It's lifestyle and needing to survive in a harsh environment.

What's the name of the book?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Adding to others talking about the incredible "toughness" of deer, the first deer I ever shot with a gun I hit with a .44 mag 240 grain jacketed hollow point from my lever rife at about 25 yards. The bullet completely severed the deer's front leg. To my amazement, it ran as fast as it would have with four good legs about 120 yards around the edge of a field and then another 30 yards through thick brush. After taking out the leg, the bullet ravaged both lungs and tore the heart. It was an amazing and brutal thing to watch. She ran so fast, it looked like the old tv shows where they speed up film of the clowns riding around in go carts. ...and she was delicious.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shot a three legged doe once with my .44 S&W. She was moseying along pretty good til she stepped 10 yds. in front of me. And yes, she was delicious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom