• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am confused about scopes, it says 2.5 to 10x and you are saying 4 to 1 zoom.
    what do the 2 different measurements mean
    thanks
    dan
    He's just saying that there is a 4-fold (in terms of magnification power) zoom range. This flexibility of having a low end zoom (like 2.5x magnification) up to a strong zoom can be desirable because one gets a larger field of view at the low end, which is useful for finding a target or hunting at closer distances, while you also have the ability to reach out with reasonable precision if the game is further away.

Many variable zoom scopes have a 3-fold range, such as a 3-9x or 4-12x.

The 4-fold zoom scopes (that might run 2-8x, 2.5-10x, 3-12x, 4-16x, 5-20x, etc) are typically more expensive in the same model line from the same manufacturer than their 3-fold zoom counterparts.

I think my current winner for fold zoom power (that starts at greater than 1x on the low end) is a 3-15x. Scopes designed for the AR platform used in competitive shooting often include 1-6x and 1-8x magnification options.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    He's just saying that there is a 4-fold (in terms of magnification power) zoom range. This flexibility of having a low end zoom (like 2.5x magnification) up to a strong zoom can be desirable because one gets a larger field of view at the low end, which is useful for finding a target or hunting at closer distances, while you also have the ability to reach out with reasonable precision if the game is further away.

Many variable zoom scopes have a 3-fold range, such as a 3-9x or 4-12x.

The 4-fold zoom scopes (that might run 2-8x, 2.5-10x, 3-12x, 4-16x, 5-20x, etc) are typically more expensive in the same model line from the same manufacturer than their 3-fold zoom counterparts.

I think my current winner for fold zoom power (that starts at greater than 1x on the low end) is a 3-15x. Scopes designed for the AR platform used in competitive shooting often include 1-6x and 1-8x magnification options.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    thanks
    dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom