• ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From VCDL:

1. ACTION ITEM for Prince William County members

If you live in Prince William County, contact your Board of Supervisors member and let him or her know that you oppose requiring long guns to be unloaded in vehicles on public roads.

Cory Stewart - Chairman
    Office Phone: 703-792-4640
    cstewart@pwcgov.org

Martin Nohe - Coles District Office
    Office Phone: 703-792-4620
    mnohe@pwcgov.org

Jeanine Lawson - Brentsville Office
    Office Phone: 703-792-6190
    jlawson@pwcgov.org

Pete Candland - Gainesville District
    Office Phone: 703-792-6195
    gainesville@pwcgov.org

John D. Jenkins - Neabsco District
    Office Phone: 703-792-4667
    jjenkins@pwcgov.org

Ruth Anderson - Occoquan District Office Office Phone: 703-792-4643 randerson@pwcgov.org

Maureen S. Caddigan - Potomac District
    Office Phone: 703-792-4645
    mcaddigan@pwcgov.org

Frank J. Principi - Woodbridge District Office Office Phone: 703-792-4646 FPrincipi@pwcgov.org

2. ACTION ITEM for Fairfax County members

If you live in Fairfax County, contact your Board of Supervisors member and let him or her know that you oppose requiring long guns to be unloaded in vehicles on public roads.

Sharon Bulova - Chairman
    Phone: 703-324-2321
    chairman@fairfaxcounty.gov

Penelope A. Gross - Vice Chairman - Mason District
    Phone: 703-256-7717
    mason@fairfaxcounty.gov

John C. Cook - Braddock District
    Phone: 703-425-9300
    braddock@fairfaxcounty.gov

John W. Foust - Dranesville District
    Phone: 703-356-0551
    dranesville@fairfaxcounty.gov

Catherine M. Hudgins - Hunter Mill District
    Phone: 703-478-0283
    hntrmill@fairfaxcounty.gov

Jeffrey C. McKay - Lee District
    Phone: 703-971-6262
    leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov

Daniel G. Storck - Mount Vernon District
    Phone: 703-780-7518
    mtvernon@fairfaxcounty.gov

Linda Q. Smyth - Providence District
    Phone: 703-560-6946
    provdist@fairfaxcounty.gov

Pat Herrity - Springfield District
    Phone: 703-451-8873
    springfield@fairfaxcounty.gov

Kathy L. Smith - Sully District
    Phone: 703-814-7100
    sully@fairfaxcounty.gov

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I sent an email to my council member, Linda Smyth, and the chairwoman yesterday, but since they are from the same political party as Senator Scott Surovell who proposed this ban, I expect them to ignore me. I won't let them ignore me when the time comes for a public hearing.

I pointed out the proposal has nothing to do with road rage and public safety like Surovell claims. I also pointed out the law they are abusing was for regulating hunting, not to ban possession of firearms by law abiding citizens.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i went ahead and emailed everyone on the list. i said criminals would ignore this just like all the other laws, so why make it harder, slower, more difficult for otherwise law abiding citizens to protect themselves. one got back and said they'd take into consideration. another said they just want to do something in light of recent firearm's involved events and they were trying to make fairfax safer.

at best, it's a tack on sentence for a gang banger doing a drive by, or someone hitting a bank, but really if you can't convict them on the big crime, who cares, and we all see crim's out on parole or bail anyways. they really must just brainstorm about ways to infringe on 2a rights of law-abiding citizens without doing one iota to lessen crime.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Here is the reply from the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, Sharon Bulovar. They will push forward and try to get this passed in Fairfax County, and she supports gun control.

--------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your message opposing a ban of loaded guns on roadways that the Board plans to consider. This proposal was first brought to the Board of Supervisors by Gerry Hyland, then the Supervisor of the Mount Vernon District, in 2015. The Board did not take any action at that time. More recently members of the General Assembly have requested that localities in Northern Virginia who have not yet enacted this measure take another look at the proposal in the wake of recent tragedies caused by gun violence.

In an April 2 letter to the Board of Supervisors, the Fairfax Delegation of the General Assembly stated that they “do not believe that there is a need for loaded shotguns or loaded rifles on Fairfax County’s public roads.” Over the years, the Board of Supervisors has sought increased authority to limit guns on its properties, to include the Government Center and Rec Centers. It is my understanding that the General Assembly would prefer we take advantage of legislation already granted to us regarding loaded guns on roadways before they take any action on the actual legislation we have requested. I am taking the liberty of attaching their letter to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors so that you have the benefit of seeing their request to us. You might consider contacting your representatives in the General Assembly with your comments.

As you and many of your neighbors have noted, crimes associated with loaded shotguns and rifles in vehicles are not prevalent in Fairfax County. Those who do keep loaded shotguns and rifles in their vehicles are unlikely to be deterred by the fine allowed by enabling state legislation. I do support some measures of gun control in Fairfax County. While I don’t know for certain how effective this prohibition will be, I do intend to bring it to the Board for discussion and comment. I appreciate that you have taken the time to write to me and to share your thoughts on this proposal.

Sincerely,
    Sharon Bulova
    Chairman

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep exact same letter to me. related crime not prevalent but what the heck, we're going to do something even if it won't make a diff...

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    What's interesting here is that they no longer try to use a facade of hunter safety or even child safety, she's coming out to say bluntly this is about gun control. Does anyone know if the Bloomberg organization that organized the march last month sent out word to the local chapters there's no longer any need to camouflage their gun ban agenda?

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Obviously I am against this bill because it infringes on the second amendment; however, I need someone to fill me in on why driving with a loaded rifle is advisable? I always drive with my rifles cased and unloaded and the loaded magazines in my range bag. The only reason I could possibly come up with for carrying a loaded rifle in the car is in case someone were to see a deer or turkey and want to shoot it but even then there are so many potential issues with that (shooting on someone else's property without permission comes to mind) that I would be hesitant to do it unless circumstances were absolutely perfect (I knew the landowner and had permission, there was a good backstop in case I miss etc).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    by the time you grab a long gun from your vehicle (vs a handgun holstered or in console beside you) the extra second or two to rack it isn't quite as big of a deal, but if you need it, you probably need it quickly. examples: active shooter at school or church while you're there or dropping off kids

it's just one of those things that is nice to have as an option. and surely the gang members doing drive by's, or the guys robbing banks, aren't going to even considering following this law, so why limit the rights and abilities of law-abiding citizens.

that's the whole thing on this anti-2a crap. criminals don't obey the laws, simple as that. so why infringe on the vast, vast majority of law-abiding citizens that do. all that talk of 'blood on the streets' when concealed carry was coming into vogue and yet this just hasn't happened. enforce and strengthen sentences for violent criminals, don't lessen the rights of regular folk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom