• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Why York IWLA of course! Just the greatest action shooting club in the area, if I do say so myself (shameless self promotion font). www.yorkiwla.org is our general club website and www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com is or shooting activities blog, for up to date info and news. We run two action (USPSA style) matches a month, with options for pistol, rifle, carbine, shotgun and multigun activities from mild to wild.

Membership requires an orientation, and the fee structure in on the website, and varies depending on the time of year you join.

The easiest way to experience us is to come out to one of our events, which are all open tot he public. FunShoots are always walkon, but Action shoots usually require a prescreening for safety(usually done at one of my funShoots), withthe exception of this month, where we are having a stationary position steel shootoff style event, open to all safe shooters.

Check the blog, and club website, and feel free to ask any questions.

gary

Looks great and I will have to check you out sometime. However it is an outdoor club correct? I'm the type of shooter that does not have the time to shoot when the weather is nice because I'm also a farm owner. So I do most of my shooting in the winter months when I'm doing less outside. Also if I want to shoot outside I can get that out of my system at home.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    select fire is fine - It is a dump, the guys working there need some personality lessons, but there are no lines and they are cheap. They treat you much better once they start to recognize your face.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    select fire is fine - It is a dump, the guys working there need some personality lessons, but there are no lines and they are cheap. They treat you much better once they start to recognize your face.

I think that says something about the place. Every gun shop and range from the east coast to the west coast has historic crowded showrooms EXCEPT Select Fire.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Lost soul and myself went to on target this morning around 11, it was soo busy we decided to nix shooting for the day, we joked on the way out we should go to select fire since no one would go there. We still decided against it.

codefive

Jun 9, 2012
    Remember the talk on here some time ago about a group buy? We need to do it! Let's buy out SF and open MDS Indoor Range!

If you are serious ... I'm sure he would entertain an offer. He has been talking about wanting to sell it for a while now.

That place has so much potential! With the right people behind the counter, some inventory, and a serious cleaning and that place could be all the rage. I wonder if you could get the stall next door and blow the show room open a bit, add some more counters and inventory.

I toyed with idea but due to the lack of business in there, I didnt act. Reading this thread and seeing how many people really go to the range is an eye opener. I'd still be leary of the idea with all the gun legisaltion BS we have right now though.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I have to admit I don't know the first thing about running a range, but it would be cool to turn Select Fire around with some new management. I may be biased though since I live a couple miles from there and it sucks I can't use the place because of the "issues"

johnnyu

Feb 21, 2013
    WIll be trying OnTarget

DO I need to be a member? I have been to SelectFire. Dirty place. If anything they are a liability because of the shell casings on the floor someone could slip and fall on if they want to talk about insurance. It was a good place for me though on a Sunday to go quick squeeze off a couple boxes of my own. In renting a gun, they were a bit anal. I wanted to compare calibers etc. I did feel like a thief the way they went about the things but eh, whatever. I accomplished what I set out to do. I guess now I know why the place was so empty.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was in Select Fire a few weeks ago. I was looking for an AK, because the guy I talked to on the phone said they ordered 52 of them, and one would be there in 2-3 days.

So I stopped in there one saturday to see if this particular rifle appeared yet, and an older fella was there. I dunno his name, and i don't really give a damn what this jerk's name is so for the sake of discussion let's call him "Dick". That could be his description as well as his name.

First thing when I walked in, there was not an AK to be found. Then I observed "Dick" in conversation with someone else about a handgun purchase. I don't think that guy cared much for "Dick" either.

So when it was my turn to address "Dick", I simply wanted clarification on MD's 30 between purchases rule, when the clock starts, etc...

Suffice to say, the answer I got from "Dick" was a non-answer. "When you buy a handgun you can't buy another one for 30 days", and would not elaborate further. Turned around, walked right out, and will never return. You want my business you better learn some damn manners.

Screw that place.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I was in Select Fire a few weeks ago. I was looking for an AK, because the guy I talked to on the phone said they ordered 52 of them, and one would be there in 2-3 days.

So I stopped in there one saturday to see if this particular rifle appeared yet, and an older fella was there. I dunno his name, and i don't really give a damn what this jerk's name is so for the sake of discussion let's call him "Dick". That could be his description as well as his name.

First thing when I walked in, there was not an AK to be found. Then I observed "Dick" in conversation with someone else about a handgun purchase. I don't think that guy cared much for "Dick" either.

So when it was my turn to address "Dick", I simply wanted clarification on MD's 30 between purchases rule, when the clock starts, etc...

Suffice to say, the answer I got from "Dick" was a non-answer. "When you buy a handgun you can't buy another one for 30 days", and would not elaborate further. Turned around, walked right out, and will never return. You want my business you better learn some damn manners.

Screw that place.

LOL, an old story in places like that. The counter experts like to put on the show but often know very little of the important details. What I don't understand if the person that was smart enough and worked hard enough to go through the trouble of opening these businesses, one would think they would make a big effort as well as insure their employees they hire do the same to treat their customers with way more respect then they do. As well as be up to date with all of the in's and out's of how all the laws work.

I don't know for sure, but to answer your question I think the way the 30 days work is you can't take possession of a gun 30 days after the date of the last time you took possession of a gun. So I think the clock/date starts the day you pick up your last gun. Now you can buy 2 guns at one time. But when you do a special form is filled out on you that go to the feds reporting that you bought more then one gun at a time. Also when doing that I think you have to then wait 60 days before buying your next gun.

Life would be so much better for you if you would just become a MD collector. It couldn't be easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom