• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I understand the Supremacy Clause well, but all the proposed law would say is that they uphold the Constitution. In other words, the law isn't running contrary to federal or state law: Maryland's Constitution incorporates the US Constitution, so all this would say is that 2A shall remain intact. At least that's my argument.

squirrelly1

Sep 10, 2012
    I'll take off and I belong to another site with 7,000 of my closest friends. I'm sure I can find some to show up. If we can get as much notice as possible that would help.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I like the pre-emption angle. Maybe the County can clarify that they are going to use the state Constitution which recognizes the US Constitution as being the supreme law of the land to pre-empt any legislation that goes against the 2A.

Double edged sword?;)

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    This. Goes double for nullification of federal laws. See Supremacy Clause. Sorry

What about something along the lines of the county Sheriff saying he and his department won't enforce certain laws within the county? Yes the MSP also has jurisdiction and could shift resources to take up that role, but if multiple counties did the same thing, that might make it untenable.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Carroll County resident and FFL owner in Carroll County. If i am off work, i am in!!

If you can reschedule 12 hours with somebody else, you really need to do this.

Fellow 2A Supporters,

I intend to introduce legislation in Carroll County to nullify Federal and State laws that impinge on our Second Amendment Protections as afforded in the Constitution.

If I proceed forward, I will need a packed hearing room in support of this effort, as it will likely be treated with skepticism by some officials.

If this passes, it will be the FIRST ever in the State of Maryland.

QUESTION:

If I proceed, how many of you can take off in either the late morning (10 to 11AM) or mid afternoon (2-3 or 3-4 PM) to testify?

I need at least 40 people.

Please advise

Commissioner Richard Rothschild
    UNWAVERING CONSERVATIVE LEADERSHIP

Thanks Commissioner Richard Rothschild, I watched your testimony in Annapolis last Wednesday and needless to say, it was a BIG:thumbsup:. As a Carroll County resident, Carroll County Licensed Firearms Dealer, MDSHOOTERS Industry Partner, and Pro 2A concerned citizen, I will be there in support of your intended endeavor, whether it holds water or just turns out to show posture, I'll be there.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What about something along the lines of the county Sheriff saying he and his department won't enforce certain laws within the county? Yes the MSP also has jurisdiction and could shift resources to take up that role, but if multiple counties did the same thing, that might make it untenable.

Different animal altogether and certainly something that I think we could all agree on as a positive angle to work from.

The state uses the argument that enforcement of immigration law is a federal matter after all.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    Commissioner Rothschild

I will attend and testify..just let me know what day, and time.

CC, Mt. Airy, MD.

Thank You

rmdashrf

Dec 8, 2012
    Carroll
    Commissioner,

As a Westminster resident, I do not care where or when this is, I will be there, no matter what.

-Angelo

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    Commissioner Rothschild,

I live in Westminster and will be there. I'm a vet with 8 and 6 year olds in school here. I'm getting pretty pissed that none of the so called “common sense” gun laws do anything to protect my kids and only fulfill their desire to disarm and restrict law abiding gun owners.

Feb 3, 2013
    Preemption and nullification topics

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I share concerns about preemption, but there are a couple of points in our favor:

1. It is the people who are the Sovereigns, NOT the state.

2. Preemption presumes federal and state laws are constitutional. Suppose the president and governor instructed local officials to begin confiscation of all weapons immediately? What takes preemption... Federal & State laws or a local official's Oath to the Constitution? Would there be ANY question this is unconstitutional? This requires all local officials to begin reconciling the powers vested in them when they take their oaths. Will they obey unconstitutional laws, or defend the Constitution? Now is the time to decide.

3. Isn't it an irony that a jury of 12 can't take away the freedom of a petty shoplifter without a unanimous vote, but 9 appointed Supreme Court justices can (allegedly) permanently abort your Constitutional freedoms by a mere 5:4 vote? Doesn't a 5:4 vote on a grave constitutional matter imply by default that at least 4 justices are voting "unconstitutionally"? I have heard it said, "If the Supreme Court is the Supreme decider, all we will have is Supreme Tyranny."

4. Soon Obama will change the composition of the court. A new court will likely vote 5:4 to abort 2nd Amendment protections. This is why local officials MUST be prepared to nullify. Sure, there's no precedent and no instruction manual... BUT THERE'S ALSO NO CHOICE. Surrender is not an option. If there is no local nullification, there is no way for elected officials to uphold our oaths... Therefore our right to nullify must implicitly exist.

5. As an absolute minimum, I can pass a resolution prohibiting the use of any county resources or law enforcement resources to enforce a law deemed unconstitutional. For this reason alone, I deem a nullification act more than symbolic.

6. Federalist Paper #78: "No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid. To deny this, would be to affirm, that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers, may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid."

I will notify all of you when I am ready to proceed forward. If you wish, you may send your names and email addresses to me under the SUBJECT name of MDSHOOTERS and I will email each of you when I am ready.

Send to: rrothschild@ccg.carr.org

Thanks,

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Commissioner, I believe what you are then suggesting is a "we will not enforce" type law, as opposed to a NULLIFICATION. Correct? I think that's what is being set out as a valid option, not the nullification. Either way, I APPLAUD your oath keeping and attention to the Constitution and wish it well. My grandfather used to be a Commissioner in Carroll County actually. Before I was born though.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Gentlemen and Ladies:

5. As an absolute minimum, I can pass a resolution prohibiting the use of any county resources or law enforcement resources to enforce a law deemed unconstitutional. For this reason alone, I deem a nullification act more than symbolic.

Thanks,

Playing devil's advocate - who's opinion would decide what is constitutional or not?

Don't get me wrong I think most people with at least a room temperature IQ can understand our Constitution, it is all the parsing of words that have lead us to the situation we are in now. Not that it really needs it but how are we going to clarify what the Constitution really means?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Playing devil's advocate - who's opinion would decide what is constitutional or not?

Don't get me wrong I think most people with at least a room temperature IQ can understand our Constitution, it is all the parsing of words that have lead us to the situation we are in now. Not that it really needs it but how are we going to clarify what the Constitution really means?

This is no different than the oath.
    The oath taker can not delegate or defer to the court. If they could the oath would say defend the decisions of the court. It does not. Just like each officer or enlisted must refuse unlawful orders. You can presume an order is lawful, but if you are wrong you are accountable. This makes it a matter of individual judgement.

This conversation needs to occur. Force of law issues aside we are treading on dangerous ground in this country. Its not like the rest of the constitution is not also under pressure.

I am still trying to find that Cato policy analysis I referred to. Will post link when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom