• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Field Day is about emergency operations in the field (although you can participate without leaving the house). For an entire day, including operations at o-dark-thirty.

It has the feel of contesting because ARRL offers points for "degree of difficulty" (my term) and numbers of contacts.

For instance you get points for operating off of independent power and from outdoors. You get 100 points for making a contact using only solar power or for a satellite contact.

What an individual or organization decides to field is pretty much up to the membership themselves. You are likely to see several HF stations using voice, CW and digital and temporary antennas. There will probably be VHF stations, solar panels and generators cranking. All of this will be inside temporary shelters (except for the generators/solar panels).

Oh, and it's also outreach. Getting people interested in the hobby and clubs get points for visitors including extra for pols. So please introduce yourself and sign in even if it's not obvious that there is a greeter because at times, like late at night, there are fewer people about.

Thanks K31. I hope to talk the spousal unit into coming along... maybe peak her interest.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Field Day 2018 is this weekend.

The weather may make it challenging this year.

Find a location near you by using the ARRL Field Station Locator... http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator

Attachments

• Field Day 2018 logo_2.jpg
      Field Day 2018 logo_2.jpg
      131.1 KB · Views: 227

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I spent 2018 field day with W3MUM in West Manheim Park in south central PA running 2A EPA. I made a dozen contacts and had fun hanging out with friends I haven't seen in a while.

I think I'm going to learn CW for next year. I had a lot of problems on SSB pileups this year and I would imagine that in CW it would be easier to navigate them. Also, they did not have a dedicated CW station. Last year I went to another ham club's field day and they had a dedicated CW station. The older gentleman running it was making 2-3 contacts a minute--that impressed me. I've downloaded CW Trainer, morsee and Morse Trainer on my android tablet. I can already do my callsign in CW.

Unrelated:

My next door neighbor came banging on my door today after discovering my EFHW antenna strung across MY backyard. He said he had a concern for his physical safety and claimed recent interference to touch lamps were causing a problem. I tried explaining the power I am running < 100 watts that there is no question on physical safety. The end of the wire drops low, to about 6 feet above the ground close to his yard (but still on mine) and that if he wanted to help me run the wire straight out it would be up higher. I told him if he wanted to run experiments I could transmit and he could watch and see if his lights dimmed spontaneously. He responded that he wasn't concerned about the lights but had serious health concerns. He asked what power I was running. I told him max 100, but usually 30 watts (since I stick to FT-8). He replied that it was the same voltage across an aircraft carrier. He is also a retired Vietnam era Navy SEAL, so I don't want to piss him off and I have a great deal of respect for his service but at the same time I don't want to succumb to fear. He requested that I cease transmitting until he had a few days to research if in fact this was safe. I cited the FCC part 97 that I am well within my license and that I wouldn't do anything that would harm someone. He seemed very skeptical and repeated that this was a health hazard.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here. We value their neighborlyness and I respect him, his service and his wisdom. At the same time I know some people, regardless of age or background, can form strong biases based on false understanding.

I think that even if this were to come down to an FCC complaint that I would be ok. I've read several other stories about similar things happening. I just would hate to loose a great neighbor over a misunderstanding like this.

We live on narrow 1/2 acre lots. My antenna is at least a good 40+ feet from his house. I think he thinks that even that would be a potential health risk. I asked him to clarify saying "are you concerned about bodily harm from radiation?" He nodded yes and I explained how I have to be licensed and through that process we learn about safe RF exposure. He repeated that he wanted to do his own research and he'll get back to me if his concern is satiated.

Should I do anything else at this point? I still have a pretty good dialogue open right now but his mind seemed made up that this was a physical safety concern. I'm willing to work with him on the RF interference issues but if he can't prove I am at fault or causing safety issues then what should I do?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Give him a few days, what harm can it do. Then invite him over to watch or participate. Maybe it will bring back some stories from VN.

Sent using the user limitations inherent of mobile devices.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I do not have any experience with this; but, I would not do anything at this time as he start that he is going to do his research. It will be wrong most likely. If he decides that there is no problem, you are good to go. If he claims the RF is a danger, then you can straighten him out with the correct fact.
    You told him you use 100 watts. You didn't explain that that is PEP. Don't do it now. Let him come back and then straighten him out. The FCC has a worksheet that is used to calculate the correct RF exposure. This takes into consideration: line loss, duty cycle, % of time actually transmitting and frequency which does make a difference. Go ahead now and work this up for your setup using the highest band you transmit on. Probably either 10 or 6. Why? If it gets down to a FCC review, this is your due diligence and will most likely settle any debate with the FCC. Keep this worksheet in your station records as recommended by the FCC. I can pretty much guarantee, based on your facts, this worksheet will be very favorable to your cause.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I do not have any experience with this; but, I would not do anything at this time as he start that he is going to do his research. It will be wrong most likely. If he decides that there is no problem, you are good to go. If he claims the RF is a danger, then you can straighten him out with the correct fact.
    You told him you use 100 watts. You didn't explain that that is PEP. Don't do it now. Let him come back and then straighten him out. The FCC has a worksheet that is used to calculate the correct RF exposure. This takes into consideration: line loss, duty cycle, % of time actually transmitting and frequency which does make a difference. Go ahead now and work this up for your setup using the highest band you transmit on. Probably either 10 or 6. Why? If it gets down to a FCC review, this is your due diligence and will most likely settle any debate with the FCC. Keep this worksheet in your station records as recommended by the FCC. I can pretty much guarantee, based on your facts, this worksheet will be very favorable to your cause.

I think this is good advice.

I have to wonder if he is going to do his research with a laptop with WiFi resting on top of his junk or call the FCC with a cellphone pressed against his head.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I think that even if this were to come down to an FCC complaint that I would be ok.

I agree. It would help to totally agree with him that he has a valid concern and that you wouldn't want anyone in your house harmed, as well. Give him a copy of your exposure calculations, along with a note that you'd be happy to help alleviate the touch-lamp issues, and even encourage him to contact the FCC with his concerns and provide contact information. This will redirect the concern off of you and onto the FCC. They will more likely be concerned about the touch-lamps, in my opinion.

I drone-mounted my 124.5' EF wire up a tree a few months back. If you need to move your wire I could help provide an air lift over another tree.

I operated Field Day 2E out of my house with 110Ah deep cycle batteries. I stuck to CW for the most part while my YL did voice. G5RV and Wire both in use. Band Pass Filters are totally necessary. While expensive, the DX Engineering filter was very necessary. I will need 2, however, 1 for each rig if I want to operate with zero interference between bands.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

I feel like I'm about to learn a lot more about RF exposure and FCC complaint process than I cared to learn right now. I'll post up later what happens. I"m trying to get all my documentation in order right now.

One of my problems is I don't have a contact log. I did start one, electronically. I couldn't get any other logging software to work on my Ubuntu. I read the ARRL's article on logging and the first thing they mention is that logs help with interference complaints. I only have 1 phone contact so I filled in that with the best of my recollection. I'll keep better notes in the future.

Unrelated: I have a new callsign, in case anyone cares to chat on the radio. PM me for it.

Also unrelated: I've started learning CW. Any reason why I couldn't purchase a $20 straight key to get started?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I couldn't get any other logging software to work on my Ubuntu.

Also unrelated: I've started learning CW. Any reason why I couldn't purchase a $20 straight key to get started?

You could log online using your logbook on QRZ.com. It will allow you to export an ADIF file to import into logging software later in life. When I'm portable, this helps keep track of things. Otherwise, I have WSJT/JTAlertX send my logs there automatically. It will also inter-operate with LOTW.

Nothing wrong with a $20 straight key. I have been doing CW for 29 years, started off cheap and have swapped out keys many times. My favorite straight key, because it feels so good, is the Czech Military straight key from the cold war. It's completely adjustable, quiet, and just feels absolutely amazing. Ebay has a couple. Buy once, cry once. :lol2:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Or go old school....

I use this form for my 6 to 8 contacts so far. Print out a few pages and see how you like it.

Attachments

• Portable Radio Logbook - Portrait.pdf
      144.7 KB · Views: 119

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I couldn't get any other logging software to work on my Ubuntu.

Did you try Xlog? It's pretty barebones but it seems to work on Ubuntu.

Also found klog that looks a little more feature-rich that works also.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

I feel like I'm about to learn a lot more about RF exposure and FCC complaint process than I cared to learn right now. I'll post up later what happens. I"m trying to get all my documentation in order right now.

One of my problems is I don't have a contact log. I did start one, electronically. I couldn't get any other logging software to work on my Ubuntu. I read the ARRL's article on logging and the first thing they mention is that logs help with interference complaints. I only have 1 phone contact so I filled in that with the best of my recollection. I'll keep better notes in the future Unrelated: I have a new callsign, in case anyone cares to chat on the radio. PM me for it.

I use the QRZ log online. It serves the purpose, does not require any install and you don't loose your database in a crash. It also talks to LotW directly when you want to upload or download.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    What if we planned a meeting on the radio to discuss these issues? I don't know where everyone loves. If 2m or hf would be the way to go.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I concur. I have talked to several in their 80s and 90s. They sound no different than others on the air. I hope this hobby keeps me out of the assisted living centers as well.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Big thanks to vette97 helping me yesterday with my antenna. He came out with his drone and was able to string my EFHW antenna in a much better position. The antenna is now a good 30+ feet from my neighbor's yard and up higher for better reception.

Here's a link to his tweet which has video of the drone:

https://twitter.com/paddymcfreebird/status/1013159954159755271

We did a quick test to determine it was working with FT-8. I was getting reports across the pond on 35 watts.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Big thanks to vette97 helping me yesterday with my antenna. He came out with his drone and was able to string my EFHW antenna in a much better position. The antenna is now a good 30+ feet from my neighbor's yard and up higher for better reception.

Jim, could you give the specs on your antenna? Is it vertical? Storebought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom