• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Here in Elkins I have Suddenlink cable internet and Directv. Directv has turned out to be a bargain with ATT having the only 4G here, I have their unlimited which gives me free HBO for life and $25 off per month for life.

And if you don't need unlimited, you can sign up for Consumer Cellular, they use ATT towers, I have my mom and my wife's non work phone thru them, less than $60 a month for unlimited talk and text and 3 GB of data.

This place is about...15 minutes outside of Elkins, right where they are putting the Corridor H road in to Parsons and Davis. This is nice because it's on the national forest side. The highway will be on the far side of 219 on the map.

My family is, part of it anyway, was from Montrose, back in the 20s and 30s. It was a stop on the rail line.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    You say that like it's a bad thing...

;):innocent0

I would love to get a place like this as my next home, move out of my duplex, rent my unit out. But I need to be able to get to work in Clarksburg in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm currently about 2 minutes from the office, which is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    I wonder if you and I know some of the same people. I have some family up in Elkins as well as several friends from my time in Slatyfork/Snowshoe.

I wouldn't doubt it. My dad's family is from Job/Whitmer. Mom's family is from Elkins/Montrose. Grandfather ran the shoe store in Elkins for 40+ years. My uncle was the head DOH engineer forever here too.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I wouldn't doubt it. My dad's family is from Job/Whitmer. Mom's family is from Elkins/Montrose. Grandfather ran the shoe store in Elkins for 40+ years. My uncle was the head DOH engineer forever here too.

I have an ancestor that moved there from the family seat in Roane County back in the mid 1800s. He was a lawyer there and married, having two children. He and his wife are buried in Maplewood Cemetery. She was of the Butcher family from Beverly.

My cousin from the other side of the family owned/ran Star Bookstore and Cafe as well as a B&B there for years before marrying and moving away. She's divorced and back now. Still owns the building.

I worked for Brian Ball and Margaret Ann Smith at the Red Fox at Snowshoe for several years prior to their closing. Got to know several people who worked there, but lived in Elkins during that period of time.

Used to make the drive about once a week for groceries at Kroger and to hit Walmart or Sam Goody for new music or games. I'd finance my gas money by grabbing burgers from McDonald's and selling them for $2ea when I got back to work in the afternoon. This was in the early 2000s before there were any fast food restaurants anywhere near Slaty Fork. I also spent a lot of time up at Cheat Bridge as a kid. I love that whole area and would love to move back if I could find the right job. I've pondered opening a distillery up there, but need to slog through the math of figuring out the make-or-break numbers before even staring a business plan. Not easy when everyone in the micro-distillery industry is very tight lipped to prevent competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom