• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Sorry I did not look this up. MD is sick.

Basically are there legal obstacles? HQL. finger prints, other ********?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Which is why my wife purchased a handgun in her own name before the law went into effect so she would at least be exempt from the training requirement. Did your wife own a regulated firearm before the law went in in October 2013? if she did she also will be exempt from the training. There are some other training exemptions in the law also. But to legally transfer except if it is an inheritance IIRC, you probably don't want to die to transfer them, the HQL, fingerprint, background checks, and wait for the card all need to happen then she can wait the additional seven days to actually get the gun.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Sorry I did not look this up. MD is sick.

Basically are there legal obstacles? HQL. finger prints, other ********?

The answer depends on what you mean by transfer. The word transfer is in the HQL law and if you actually transfer a firearm then one is required. The term is not defined in the law however. To get an HQL requires one to fire a handgun, so the act of using a handgun without an HQL is legal and does not necessarily involve a transfer.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Which is why my wife purchased a handgun in her own name before the law went into effect so she would at least be exempt from the training requirement. Did your wife own a regulated firearm before the law went in in October 2013? if she did she also will be exempt from the training. There are some other training exemptions in the law also. But to legally transfer except if it is an inheritance IIRC, you probably don't want to die to transfer them, the HQL, fingerprint, background checks, and wait for the card all need to happen then she can wait the additional seven days to actually get the gun.

Yes, My wife did. She bought a Ruger LCR .38

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you live with your wife, and I presume you are on good terms or you would not be arming her, why do you need a transfer? Yes, it's true, my wife has the keys to the gun safe and legally shoots them (not at me).

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    As a 13'r I apologize about not being clear, maybe even obtuse, about the situation. I used MDS as a place to learn alot about the evils of MD.

I convinced my wife to get a handgun before the crap hit. I took her to the range let her pick a caliber. Took her to stores to pick a gun that fit her hand. I then bought it for her, given it was hers she passed the background check. All is well.

Reality? She never like shooting wants to give the gun back to me. I own all the guns. She owns all the Longaberger baskets. I failed in a way. :o

Im okay with that. Just sad the state makes this agreement more difficult. Ni ether of us bothered with the HQL ********.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    As a 13'r I apologize about not being clear, maybe even obtuse, about the situation. I used MDS as a place to learn alot about the evils of MD.

I convinced my wife to get a handgun before the crap hit. I took her to the range let her pick a caliber. Took her to stores to pick a gun that fit her hand. I then bought it for her, given it was hers she passed the background check. All is well.

Reality? She never like shooting wants to give the gun back to me. I own all the guns. She owns all the Longaberger baskets. I failed in a way. :o

Im okay with that. Just sad the state makes this agreement more difficult. Ni ether of us bothered with the HQL ********.

If she wants to transfer it to you, then unfortunately, you need an HQL.. On the bright side, you are exempt from the training.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I say keep it her name.

You can take it out and shoot it all you want. Legally.

Then it's: NO HQL FOR YOU.

PS: WTF is a Longaberger basket?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Longaberger. Lol.

I know a guy who got a bunch of them by a will or something like that. Put them out at a yard sale with no research. Some of these baskets sell for hundreds of dollars

He was bragging how much of a womanizer he is by how many women showed up to to buy them all.

Yeah, they're calling their friends but to tell them some idiot has a $200 basket for $5. LOL

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line

Just wait another 46 years, then it will be C&R, and no HQL required. :lol2:

Longaberger. Lol.

I know a guy who got a bunch of them by a will or something like that. Put them out at a yard sale with no research. Some of these baskets sell for hundreds of dollars

He was bragging how much of a womanizer he is by how many women showed up to to buy them all.

Yeah, they're calling their friends but to tell them some idiot has a $200 basket for $5. LOL

To be perfectly correct, I believe the actual idiots are paying $200 for a $5 basket. Or maybe that's just me. (And no offense intended to the OP and/or spouse thereof.)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Do MD laws prevent a handgun tranfer between spouses

HQL needed, stupidly.

MD gun laws (and others) do little to nothing to prevent anything...except maybe preventing law enforcement from focusing on real crime and enforcement of laws that might actually make a better MD.

Having a bad day with a poor attitude, sorry.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    On the bright side there's no transfer fee or trip to the barracks. I just went through this.

Ummm, who inserted the FFL/MSP information on the electronic form? And How did you do it without any credit card info?

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    Ummm, who inserted the FFL/MSP information on the electronic form? And How did you do it without any credit card info?

I filled out the form online through the MSP portal. My info, her info, handgun info. Never asked for the credit card. No email with a pin # was received so about 10 days later I called the MSP & was told since it's a transfer/gift between spouses there is no fee, & they consider it transferred when clicked to submit the info. This was about 30 days ago

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I filled out the form online through the MSP portal. My info, her info, handgun info. Never asked for the credit card. No email with a pin # was received so about 10 days later I called the MSP & was told since it's a transfer/gift between spouses there is no fee, & they consider it transferred when clicked to submit the info. This was about 30 days ago

Good to know, thanks for the info.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    To be perfectly correct, I believe the actual idiots are paying $200 for a $5 basket. Or maybe that's just me. (And no offense intended to the OP and/or spouse thereof.)

Pretty much, but it's a hobby like any other hobby with associated costs.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just wait another 46 years, then it will be C&R, and no HQL required. :lol2:

My wife has around 100 of those things, lol. To be fair, many she bought from auctions, Ebay or trading with friends for much less than full retail which can be 50 - $200 or even more. She loves her baskets and wonders what I need so many firearms for :innocent0 (though she doesn't give me much flack over it, thank God).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom