• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Enough with the confusing references to "7th day"!

The day you purchase and submit paperwork is DAY 1.

On the morning of DAY 8 (usually around 6am and barring any complications or holds) the MSP sends their Not Disapproved email to you.

Please stop referring to Day 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD

On the morning of DAY 8 (usually around 6am and barring any complications or holds) the MSP sends their Not Disapproved email to you.

I got my email from paying $10 and submitting application to MSP Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM

I got my "not disapproved" email Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:00 AM

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    That is wrong. Unless I am the exception.

I got my email from paying $10 and submitting application to MSP Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM

I got my "not disapproved" email Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:00 AM

Now pay attention: count on your fingers ...March 18 is DAY 1, and March 25 is DAY 8...you received the green light on DAY 8 after a "7-day wait".

There is never any need to refer to the "7th day"-- that is simply the last day of a 7-day wait.

So, are we clear?

bDp_Reaper

Mar 1, 2017
    Bethesda, MD

Sorry if I made it confusing but that's in essence what I was trying to say. Thanks for clearing it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Now pay attention: count on your fingers ...March 18 is DAY 1, and March 25 is DAY 8...you received the green light on DAY 8 after a "7-day wait".

There is never any need to refer to the "7th day"-- that is simply the last day of a 7-day wait.

So, are we clear?

Now pay attention: I was stating an example of when I got emails since people seemed to be confused.

Maybe you quoted the wrong person in an attempt to be a smart ass.

Like I said originally, "I recently purchased something on a Saturday. Got email 7 days later on Saturday."

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Not sure why you'd count the day you fill out the paperwork as day one. It's a waiting period. If it was a one day waiting period, and you filled out the paperwork on Monday, you would pick up one day later on Tuesday.

Buy on Monday, pickup next Monday after waiting 7 full days. I think that's why people keep referring to it that way.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Now pay attention: I was stating an example of when I got emails since people seemed to be confused.

Maybe you quoted the wrong person in an attempt to be a smart ass.

Like I said originally, "I recently purchased something on a Saturday. Got email 7 days later on Saturday."

No, you got it 8 days later.

If you want your personal 7-day waiting period to start the day AFTER you purchase a firearm/submit paperwork you are certainly welcome to pick up on DAY 9.

I will continue picking up on DAY 8.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Not sure why you'd count the day you fill out the paperwork as day one. It's a waiting period. If it was a one day waiting period, and you filled out the paperwork on Monday, you would pick up one day later on Tuesday.

Buy on Monday, pickup next Monday after waiting 7 full days. I think that's why people keep referring to it that way.

The day you purchase/submit paperwork counts as the first day of your "7 day wait". Having waited 7 days, you pick up on DAY 8.

I didn't write the law, just explaining it.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    No, you got it 8 days later.

If you want your personal 7-day waiting period to start the day AFTER you purchase a firearm/submit paperwork you are certainly welcome to pick up on DAY 9.

I will continue picking up on DAY 8.

7 days from tomorrow = 8 days from today

Semantics.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Monday - purchase
    Tuesday - you've waited 1 full days
    Wednesday - you've waited 2 full days
    Thursday - you've waited 3 full days
    Friday - you've waited 4 full days
    Saturday - you've waited 5 full days
    Sunday - you've waited 6 full days
    Monday - you've waited 7 days and can pickup.

Anybody can count however they want but there's a perfectly logical reason people refer to a seven day wait. If the law said you could pickup after a one day wait nobody would argue that the first day counts and you could do paperwork on Monday and take it home on Monday.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Jonnyl: why continue to make this confusing?

On your chart, at the close of Monday you have officially completed the first day of your 7-day wait. At the end of Tuesday, you have waited 2 days. Get it?

That's why your chart is not accurate.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Monday - purchase
    Tuesday - you've waited 1 full days
    Wednesday - you've waited 2 full days
    Thursday - you've waited 3 full days
    Friday - you've waited 4 full days
    Saturday - you've waited 5 full days
    Sunday - you've waited 6 full days
    Monday - you've waited 7 days and can pickup.

Anybody can count however they want but there's a perfectly logical reason people refer to a seven day wait. If the law said you could pickup after a one day wait nobody would argue that the first day counts and you could do paperwork on Monday and take it home on Monday.

Exactly. If I said "I'll see you in two days!" today absolutely no one would think that means tomorrow. Your example is exactly as the law is written.

Actual law:
    (a) Seven-day waiting period. -- A licensee may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by the prospective seller or transferor to the Secretary.

Same thing but worded differently. MSP wants to count day 1 as day you send app.

MSP site:
    On the 8th day after the application has been submitted to Licensing Division by the Dealer or Barrack you will receive an email notifying you of your final disposition

Fun fact: 157hrs after I applied, I received not disapproved email. That's technically 6.5 ACTUAL days. ;)

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Question to FFL's:

Do you also receive an email notification of ND/release date?

No, but if we logged in and tried to release/transfer the gun in the system, and no ND had been issued, or the 7 day wait, as interpreted by MSP, had not elapsed, the system would block the transfer.

So far Not Disapproved returns have been coming back on this schedule: (Example) Dealer submits your paperwork on a Monday, you pick up the next Monday, or any day thereafter

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Jonnyl: why continue to make this confusing?

On your chart, at the close of Monday you have officially completed the first day of your 7-day wait. At the end of Tuesday, you have waited 2 days. Get it?

That's why your chart is not accurate.

Sorry, I'm not doing a good job of making my point.

I totally get what you're saying.

I'm just saying that counting a seven day wait is also valid, so it seems extreme to tell people to stop talking about seven days.

I'm counting the same way we count age. We don't call a six month old child "one". We mark the milestone at the end of the passage of time. It's also more in line with how people normally talk. If on Monday somebody says let's meet in two days, nobody says I'll see you on day three.

Anyway, this seems like it's the whole reason for the thread which is why I've gone a couple rounds on this, but I'm honestly not trying to add to the confusion, just help show why it exists.

Prob easiest to just go with buy Monday, pickup Monday :thumbsup:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You know, I used to not even know what BGOS was. Now that I know what it is, I recognize the symptoms.

The good news is that the MSP has eliminated any doubt. You can pick it up when you get the email. It will be the same day the app was submitted, one week later (Tuesday->Tuesday). That will either be on the 7th or 8th day, depending whether you passed common core arithmetic and English is your first language. /sarc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom