• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    . . . paid my $50. Now what? I joined to support their litigation and lobbying efforts, but am wondering . . . is there anything else to it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are up to getting in touch with your farm/ rural heritage, in a county fair - like atmosphere, come by the Country Life Festival in Leonardtown this weekend . I will be at the MSI Information Table saturday ( next to the MSI air rifle range). I would be honored to talk your ear off about 2A activities and opportunities.

About an hour south from you .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    . . . paid my $50. Now what? I joined to support their litigation and lobbying efforts, but am wondering . . . is there anything else to it?

There are always things to do.

They have several committees that they are always looking for members to join.

There are public events and gun shows where they are always looking for volunteers to staff the table.

They were looking for volunteers to help keep MSI brochures in gun shops.

Plenty to do, just ask, or come up with something you think might benefit the 2A community in Maryland.

Welcome to MSI, and thank you for joining.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    If you are up to getting in touch with your farm/ rural heritage, in a county fair - like atmosphere, come by the Country Life Festival in Leonardtown this weekend . I will be at the MSI Information Table saturday ( next to the MSI air rifle range). I would be honored to talk your ear off about 2A activities and opportunities.

About an hour south from you .

This^^^^^. Or another event like it. Volunteer opportunities for MSI happen all the time. Participate and tell folks that you are new to the MSI bandwagon. Maybe if they see a new member walking the walk, they'll join too.

The membership meetings are good place to meet folks too.

If you're not already doing it, call, write, and visit your elected officials, and ask them to talk about how good and substantial is reducing crime in baltimore, etc.

And when the call goes out for the Patriot Picket, you could make a difference by showing up in person to let the legiscritters know how you feel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OP dosn't need to volunteer for this weekend. Just come by for a visit this time and see what we do . And also find out opportunities for formal events, and things he can do on his own in regular life .

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    We are extremely grateful. Thank you for joining and helping!

Bigfoot and dblas nailed it above.
    Come down and see us in Leonardtown this weekend!

As an added benefit, MSI offers assistance (short of legal advice) in applying for permits and other various other assistance to its members. Got a question or know of something that needs attention? Let us know at info@marylandshallissue.org.

We send notices in our newsletters about upcoming events, things that require action and opportunities to get involved.

Again, thanks for joining.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    Thanks for all the replies! I won't be able to get down to Leonardtown this weekend, but now I have a much better understanding of some of the things MSI does.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies! I won't be able to get down to Leonardtown this weekend, but now I have a much better understanding of some of the things MSI does.

One of the big things we do is litigate. We are parties to Kolbe, now pending on a petition for cert in the Supreme Court. That challenged MD on so called "assault weapons." We are the lead plaintiff in the federal district court suit challenging the HQL statute and MSP regs on various grounds. We also spend countless hours during the legislative session preparing written and oral testimony on gun bills. And while we are doing all of that, we are educating and reaching out to folks, including City Councils, the Handgun Permit Review Board and at gun shows. Thanks for joining!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I wiil extend to the invatation beyond. Drawnad to all new & prospective MSI recruits, or even new & prospective Gun Rights Advocates generally . Come visit the booth Saturday, and I'll be honored shoot the breeze about the opportunities to advance 2A right together with Orgs, or totally on your own.

I'll be the fat, bald guy of a certain age .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

You do know that wasn't a slight against MSI, it was meant as a joke. Realistically, I was doing that to mess with you and see what your reaction would be. Everybody after my post already covered most of it.

Something they didn't mention was doing a karma for something where it is raffled off to raise funds for the legal fund. That has been done at least twice now.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, ESQ. I, too, am an Esq., but am not focused on appellate or 2ndA matters.

Thanks for joining. We need all the lawyers we can get! I was trained as a trial lawyer in a big firm practice. Switched to appellate when I moved over to DOJ after 8 years.

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    And I wiil extend to the invatation beyond. Drawnad to all new & prospective MSI recruits, or even new & prospective Gun Rights Advocates generally . Come visit the booth Saturday, and I'll be honored shoot the breeze about the opportunities to advance 2A right together with Orgs, or totally on your own.

I'll be the fat, bald guy of a certain age .

Hey I resemble that description

scjamesm

Nov 10, 2016
    Charles Town, WV
    Just joined myself, lets win the HQL lawsuit and get carry rights at least as good as delaware(I'll take open carry of handguns, it's better than no carry)

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Just joined myself, lets win the HQL lawsuit and get carry rights at least as good as delaware(I'll take open carry of handguns, it's better than no carry)
    Welcome!!!

Go to Annapolis as often as you can next (and each) legislative session and let your lawmakers know who you are and where you stand. Call / email them throughout the year. Let them know they work for you.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Nothing better than volunteering for a while at the booth handing out flyers to folks walking by. I promise that before you leave your head will be exploding from all the new info you pick up. You get to meet a bunch of like minded folks and have a good time . Great way to spend part of a day !!

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    :lol2::lol2:By the way Biggfoot44 let me know if you need any help on the range or helping to talk peoples ears off. Looks like I will be available to help out!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes !

I just now checked, and saw DivingDriver listed for helping on the Range for the afternoon shift Saturday .

But we still have lots of opportunities open still, particularly on the Range .

This is an opportunity for our SoMd members close to home , instead of what seems the usual road trip to an MSI event . MDS'ers and MSI people stop by , even if only a few minutes while attending the Festival, or just passing by .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom