• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    You think they're looking for it on the 77R's (aka gun database) or would simply SAYING you owned a "regulated" firearm do the trick?

Wanna know where I would put my money? Being understaffed, lack of intelligible and accurate record keeping and the recent turnover and restructuring, I don't think they are focusing on the 77r's.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You think they're looking for it on the 77R's (aka gun database) or would simply SAYING you owned a "regulated" firearm do the trick?
    It doesn't require that you even own a firearm only purchased in MD, so why check 77r's? You could move into MD, and you have 90 days by law to register it. So if you apply for an HQL after being here 60 days and have not yet registered your firearm, MSP has no record of it on a 77r, as you purchased it OOS.

perfectly legal.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Alrighty then, how is it proven one way or another then? Bring said firearm to the barracks with you?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    you don't have to prove anything. ut the info into the HQL web app. no requirement for where and when you purchased it.

put in the info I thinks serial, make model caliber.

done.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Great job Nate!I have been to two gun shops (one I believe is an IP here) so I WON'T mention names, but both told me I had to have an HQL to buy a stripped lower. I have an HQL, my wife doesn't. I was gonna have her buy one so she could use it to be training exempt. I wish gun dealers would stop using their interpretation of the laws as they see it and investigate like Nate does. Many of them did that with the 7 day wait period and remarked "Dealers releasing handguns before the not disapproved comes back will lose their license and be out of business." Guess what...one of them that said that closed up shop. Karma?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We get people in the store constantly telling us false information from other dealers. The biggest one we've heard is that to buy a handgun, the customer has to get their HQL through that dealer. And, their HQL is only valid at their store.

I had one guy at the Timonium gun show ask me if I could put a butt stock on a stripped lower so he can avoid the 7-day waiting period. When I said no, he said "but ______ does it all the time". I told him to go there and get it, then.

We hear people being told that you need an HQL for C&R handguns, too. When I explain they don't need it for C&R, they argue with me and say I'm breaking the law. When I show them the box on the 77R that talks about C&R, they say "Oh".

There is too much incorrect information floating around that has not been confirmed by anyone and people are very confused about what to do.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    We get people in the store constantly telling us false information from other dealers. The biggest one we've heard is that to buy a handgun, the customer has to get their HQL through that dealer. And, their HQL is only valid at their store.

I had one guy at the Timonium gun show ask me if I could put a butt stock on a stripped lower so he can avoid the 7-day waiting period. When I said no, he said "but ______ does it all the time". I told him to go there and get it, then.

We hear people being told that you need an HQL for C&R handguns, too. When I explain they don't need it for C&R, they argue with me and say I'm breaking the law. When I show them the box on the 77R that talks about C&R, they say "Oh".

There is too much incorrect information floating around that has not been confirmed by anyone and people are very confused about what to do.

sadly I think this was the point of the FSA2013 bill. to confuse people to the point they just say F it, and either move out of the state, or give up on firearms.

and if it gets a dealer or 2 to break the law so they can prosecute them and put them on TV and use it as a platform to put further restrictions on FFLs in MD then that's a bonus.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    sadly I think this was the point of the FSA2013 bill. to confuse people to the point they just say F it, and either move out of the state, or give up on firearms.

and if it gets a dealer or 2 to break the law so they can prosecute them and put them on TV and use it as a platform to put further restrictions on FFLs in MD then that's a bonus.
    I think you might be giving way too much credit to our legislators. The Sandy Hook shooting went down and the rich anti-gun Democrat supporters called for action and our legislators responded with something that even they didn't read or understand. The words "ban", "high capacity" and "assault weapons" were all over the FSA and they said "Sounds good to me! Let's do it."

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

These are the kinds of things MSI needs to add to the wiki we are working on, and we need volunteers to at least make the initial post in the wiki.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

I totally understand and have heard some of the same things while patronizing gunshops. What irritates me(and I'm sure many others) is how the law is so vague, so instead of the owner/operator of the shop getting clarification on a questionable subject(such as purchasing lower w/o HQL), they just interpret it "their way" or assume that since it could be made into a handgun that it automatically must be sold as a handgun. Again, it's no big deal to me since I have a HQL, but misinforming customers and prohibiting them from buying something that they are legally allowed to purchase just because they "believe"/assume, or interpret the law incorrectly is wrong.

RESSURECTION!

Ressurecting this thread to ask about stripped lower for HQL exemption.

I know it can be done. But what I don't know is what to enter online in categories like Model, barrel length and such. Serial number is obvious. Asking for a friend who's not in MDS. He has an Engage lower. It's been built into a rifle, so is that what is to be used or is a length even necessary?

Just want to make sure he enters the correct information, AND that he doesn't provide information that is not necessary.

Thanks!

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Though experiment:
    AR receivers, striped, require a 77R to transfer. Hence, a striped receiver is a “regulated firearm” for the purposes of applying for a HQL. Once built into a (legal) rifle, that same AR becomes cash and carry, which means face to face sale is legal in MD (assuming not prohibited). Could the AR receiver be transferred as a rifle, striped to its regulated state, then used for a HQL exemption?
    Either way, it’s a plus for us. If MSP does not allow that, it should give FFL’s a way to transfer striped lowers as a rifle cash and carry. All a dealer would have to do is attach a legal rifle upper, remove it, then sell as a unregulated rifle cash and carry.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Either way, it’s a plus for us. If MSP does not allow that, it should give FFL’s a way to transfer striped lowers as a rifle cash and carry. All a dealer would have to do is attach a legal rifle upper, remove it, then sell as a unregulated rifle cash and carry.

My understanding is once its been assembled, it is then designated as built. I don't believe it could be transferred as "O" other at that point and used as an HQL exemption. Your example above would probably get you a visit from the ATF if it was assembled as a rifle, then sold as a stripped lower and reassembled into a pistol. Interesting point though. I don't believe the upper does any build designation. I believe it is the combination of the pistol buffer tube vs. a stock. If a stock was installed then barrel length would come into play being a rifle vs. an SBR.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    My understanding is once its been assembled, it is then designated as built. I don't believe it could be transferred as "O" other at that point and used as an HQL exemption. Your example above would probably get you a visit from the ATF if it was assembled as a rifle, then sold as a stripped lower and reassembled into a pistol. Interesting point though. I don't believe the upper does any build designation. I believe it is the combination of the pistol buffer tube vs. a stock. If a stock was installed then barrel length would come into play being a rifle vs. an SBR.

My apologies, I though it went without saying that the lower (now rifle) would forever be a rifle. Thanks for making that clear to everyone reading.
    Is it a stock that “turns” a lower into a rifle or is it a 16’’+ barrel? Either way, simply screwing on a buffer tube with stock attached is simple enough.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Ressurecting this thread to ask about stripped lower for HQL exemption.

I know it can be done. But what I don't know is what to enter online in categories like Model, barrel length and such. Serial number is obvious. Asking for a friend who's not in MDS. He has an Engage lower. It's been built into a rifle, so is that what is to be used or is a length even necessary?

Just want to make sure he enters the correct information, AND that he doesn't provide information that is not necessary.

Thanks!

The lower was considered regulated when he purchased it, i would copy the make model barrel length exactly as its shown on his pink copy of the 77r when he purchased it.

If he describes it as a complete hbar he's not describing a regulated firearm eligible for exemption.

The lower was considered regulated when he purchased it, i would copy the make model barrel length exactly as its shown on his pink copy of the 77r when he purchased it.

If he describes it as a complete hbar he's not describing a regulated firearm eligible for exemption.
    Yeah I made it clear to him not to describe the completed HBAR

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

j5689

Feb 3, 2017
    Riva, MD
    The way I did it when I applied a month ago was to copy everything on the 77R for the stripped lower verbatim to the HQL application except for the stuff that was left blank on the 77R, where I entered for barrel section on the HQL app: "AR15 lower receiver only" and selected "Semiautomatic" as the type since it's obviously not a revolver and you can't have an "Assault weapon" anymore, I think they have to assume you're building it into a semiautomatic pistol anyway and that's why stripped lowers are still regulated. They accepted it that way for the purpose of the HQL training exemption and although I have since built that lower into an HBAR, it was legally my exemption at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom