• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Go to TSC or Southern States for a floating stock tank heater, it will be half the cost at a Aquarium store.

30. bucks at tractor supply just replaced mine Tuesday. i don't have the bump ring set up i have stick with a y at the end and keep it off the the rubber liner. been doing this for 10 years now.Eleven years ago i lost all of my big money Koi when the ice melted they all came up floating

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I use a low wattage birdbath type heater. It keeps an opening in the water. If you need more heat, a livestock water trough heater will do the trick. TSC, ebay, amazon... take your pick

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Please understand I have held this up for about 9 years now. I figured with my water fall and flow of about 100 gallons per min shit would not freeze. No Heater. I was wrong.

There are two open spots. Water fall, and the intake. Center is dead frozen. I decide to look... It was more brutal than I expected. Pond has 6" of ice, I mean im looking at 300+ gallons out of the pond locked in ice. Tis ok, Koi have 4 ft depth to hide. I never planned this.

Yes this pic is me brutally beating the center ice to get to water with a dirty rusty spade. I needed the exercise anyway.

Attachments

• koi2018.jpg
      koi2018.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 157

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Please understand I have held this up for about 9 years now. I figured with my water fall and flow of about 100 gallons per min shit would not freeze. No Heater. I was wrong.

There are two open spots. Water fall, and the intake. Center is dead frozen. I decide to look... It was more brutal than I expected. Pond has 6" of ice, I mean im looking at 300+ gallons out of the pond locked in ice. Tis ok, Koi have 4 ft depth to hide. I never planned this.

Yes this pic is me brutally beating the center ice to get to water with a dirty rusty spade. I needed the exercise anyway.

Tannerite is more fun. Oh wait, this is in MD. My bad.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

beating on ice is traumatic to the fish something about the sound being amplified under the ice especially the pond surface

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

Just put a birdbath heater on top of the ice and let it melt its way through.

If the pond is small enough, cover it with one or two sheets of exterior 1/4 thick luan plywood. That will help retain a lot of warmth.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    After a blue heron visit many years ago I put a net over 1 pond and closed my second.
    Ate 22 fish and left 27 holes in the second ponds liner. 2 were fantails as big as my fist. :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Been a full year since this started!

I learned my pond can freeze. My Koi all survived. I need a heater, global warming.

It's another year. Where are your Koi? I can do a better pic, but I have other problems.

Attachments

• Dsc01937-1.jpg
      Dsc01937-1.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom