• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    View attachment 222182 Does messing around, seen one small buck behind me. He ducked into the branch after a little bit and I never did see where he came out at.
    Probably froze to a tree back in there somewhere.
    When I came out and headed down the road a little bit I got a call about a missing hunter. Didn't tell anyone where he went and now he's unaccounted for.
    I rode out a piece of state woods to try and spot his vehicle, nothing. No-one knows where he's at.
    25 mph gusts and 6-10 sustained not good when its this cold.

This news is not good. 1st rule, ya gotta tell someone where you're hunting. Do they know if he was in a stand or on the ground? I would hate to think he had fallen from a stand and is laying in this weather. That probably won't work out very good.

Prayers for the hunter and his family.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Time for a pep talk.

I shot this only seven days ago. The temp was around 15° with a wind chill of around 9°. Now git yer arses out thar dammit! Lol. Good luck tomorrow!

Nice, but the windchill was -15F when I was tromping around Frederick city water shed. I tried a sit, I lasted about 15 minutes before my butt froze off and I had to get moving. I didn’t have my bibs on was part of it. Moving, even slowly, and I was comfortable other than my balaclava was icing up some from my breath.

I found ONE set of deer tracks. I tracked it for a quarter mile through thick laurel and scrub trees before it crossed the back trail and out in to blue blazed territory.

A fair number of squirrel tracks, on almost every fallen trunk. No fox. A lot of people tracks on the trails. A couple of crazy as hell mountain bikers were out headed down a trail I had just walked off. A few dog tracks. Surprised that many people used the trails in the last 24hrs (a few tracks were older, but several were 24hrs or less old. On a trail or two, at least 3 different dogs and 4-5 sets of people tracks were clearly distinguishable).

Anyway, I have up at 1pm and headed home. Debating if I’ll go over to Potapsco tomorrow morning. I am thinking no. I have enough venison. I might head out before archery season is over with if there is a warmer day.

Oddly on leaving one hunter was in the parking lot in his truck and we chatted for a few. He thought my 6.5 Grendel was really neat and asked if he could have a round.

Just....really bizarre (I said yes, because whatever, it’s a buck for a round). Maybe he wanted the head stamp so he could try to remember what it was?

Pics are of one of the frozen over one acre ponds. Other is of my frozen as hell beard. That’s not grey in my beard, that’s ice.

Attachments

• 04DAA92A-7F19-418A-9AB3-83BD4065E0D7.jpg
      04DAA92A-7F19-418A-9AB3-83BD4065E0D7.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 144
    • 0E729F49-0CBB-4578-8E52-A655240CC1EC.jpg
      0E729F49-0CBB-4578-8E52-A655240CC1EC.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 145

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    A friend just messaged me of a new Pa archery record. 185". It's on Pa's Facebook page hopefully someone could post link. I'm having a little computer difficulty at the time.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    View attachment 222182 Does messing around, seen one small buck behind me. He ducked into the branch after a little bit and I never did see where he came out at.
    Probably froze to a tree back in there somewhere.
    When I came out and headed down the road a little bit I got a call about a missing hunter. Didn't tell anyone where he went and now he's unaccounted for.
    I rode out a piece of state woods to try and spot his vehicle, nothing. No-one knows where he's at.
    25 mph gusts and 6-10 sustained not good when its this cold.

Which state woods were you searching?

Also no idea at all where he went? Or only know which state woods?

I always tell my wife where I am going and I am enough of a creature of habit my neighbor knows roughly where to find me, or at least the general part of which parklands I tend to hunt (which would at least narrow it down to a few hundred acres).

I hope they find him safe.

Here it was a high of mid teens, but it was 8-10mph sustained winds with 30+mph gusts up in Frederick city watershed, only about 20mph gusts here in Sykesville.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice, but the windchill was -15F when I was tromping around Frederick city water shed. I tried a sit, I lasted about 15 minutes before my butt froze off and I had to get moving. I didn’t have my bibs on was part of it. Moving, even slowly, and I was comfortable other than my balaclava was icing up some from my breath.

I found ONE set of deer tracks. I tracked it for a quarter mile through thick laurel and scrub trees before it crossed the back trail and out in to blue blazed territory.

A fair number of squirrel tracks, on almost every fallen trunk. No fox. A lot of people tracks on the trails. A couple of crazy as hell mountain bikers were out headed down a trail I had just walked off. A few dog tracks. Surprised that many people used the trails in the last 24hrs (a few tracks were older, but several were 24hrs or less old. On a trail or two, at least 3 different dogs and 4-5 sets of people tracks were clearly distinguishable).

Anyway, I have up at 1pm and headed home. Debating if I’ll go over to Potapsco tomorrow morning. I am thinking no. I have enough venison. I might head out before archery season is over with if there is a warmer day.

Oddly on leaving one hunter was in the parking lot in his truck and we chatted for a few. He thought my 6.5 Grendel was really neat and asked if he could have a round.

Just....really bizarre (I said yes, because whatever, it’s a buck for a round). Maybe he wanted the head stamp so he could try to remember what it was?

Pics are of one of the frozen over one acre ponds. Other is of my frozen as hell beard. That’s not grey in my beard, that’s ice.
    Think about trying Monocacy river at Park Mills Rd. some time. Lots of deer in there.

Great story and great pics! Hunt hard!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh also the three big ponds in that part of the park, yeah there were human (no deer) tracks across each one in a couple of places. Dangerous as hell even with the cold, all of them had a tiny patch of unfrozen water near one edge. Definitely not 4 inches of freeze! (Well, yet).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Think about trying Monocacy river at Park Mills Rd. some time. Lots of deer in there.

Great story and great pics! Hunt hard!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed myself which is half of why I do it.

I was thinking of trying monocacy, but I didn’t want to “blind” as it were. I am thinking next year I’ll head over there during the late muzzleloader season to check it out. I also want to call DNR and double check that rifles are now A-ok. I’ve read plenty that they are now, but their website still says shotguns, ML and bow only. Also, it’s a bit further than Frederick City watershed for me. Upside is I’ve heard plenty of people tell me it is loaded with deer.

Frederick I’ve seen one deer in 4 trips over 3 years to the watershed (never a full day, 2 were for squirrel hunting) and maybe half a dozen tracks total. I’ve seen a few more deer in Gambrills (they ain’t stupid).

I would have done Patuxent, but I really wanted to bag something with my 6.5 Grendel this year. Next year I guess.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

I dont think its odd that he asked you for a round. I have a bullet collection on display over my gun bench and i'm always looking for live rounds that i dont have so i can add it to the collection.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well now it sounds much else odd.

On Moncacy, anyone know if there is much in the way of turkey back there? I am planning to try winter turkey hunting again if the weather is okay. Maybe I’ll do a day at Monocacy and a day in patuxent. Not much point if Monocacy doesn’t have much in the way of turkeys.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well now it sounds much else odd.

On Moncacy, anyone know if there is much in the way of turkey back there? I am planning to try winter turkey hunting again if the weather is okay. Maybe I’ll do a day at Monocacy and a day in patuxent. Not much point if Monocacy doesn’t have much in the way of turkeys.

Plenty of smart turkey...and plenty of dumb turkey hunters. Lots of pressure. Good for jumping deer, bad for trying to sneak up on turkey.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Went out this evening. Scored a decent doe, was slow and not hunting my normal land but an invite from friend. It was too cold for pics but decent lady to put some good meat in fridge. 50 yards, savage did it's job. Maybe went 10 yards, nice heart shot. Makes me feel good I can shoot after last debacle.

Wife said I had a good feeling you were crazy, but said I confirmed it by being out this afternoon in the cold..

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Plenty of smart turkey...and plenty of dumb turkey hunters. Lots of pressure. Good for jumping deer, bad for trying to sneak up on turkey.

Okay thanks. I might write it off and try next year for the late ML season as planned.

That said, not sure how successful I’ll be in Patuxent for the winter season, but at least I do know a couple of areas they like to roost and hang out in the winter time in Patuxent.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I enjoyed myself which is half of why I do it.

I was thinking of trying monocacy, but I didn’t want to “blind” as it were. I am thinking next year I’ll head over there during the late muzzleloader season to check it out. I also want to call DNR and double check that rifles are now A-ok. I’ve read plenty that they are now, but their website still says shotguns, ML and bow only. Also, it’s a bit further than Frederick City watershed for me. Upside is I’ve heard plenty of people tell me it is loaded with deer.

Frederick I’ve seen one deer in 4 trips over 3 years to the watershed (never a full day, 2 were for squirrel hunting) and maybe half a dozen tracks total. I’ve seen a few more deer in Gambrills (they ain’t stupid).

I would have done Patuxent, but I really wanted to bag something with my 6.5 Grendel this year. Next year I guess.

So, you are the crazy hunter out there today that I read about on the mountain biking chatboard I visit. lol

Also, if you want to hunt Monocacy next year, scout it out during the summer. If you can ride a mountain bike over there, put it in the car, drive over there, and ride the bike around to see what the place is like, see if you can spot deer, see if you can spot deer trails, etc. Get some exercise and scouting in at the same time. If you cannot use a bike, then just hike the area before hunting season is even close.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    They are moving this morning. Just seen 3 does and a spike from my window. I'm on daddy daycare until 230 today. Hope they still are moving then.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    4 degrees at my house when I walked out this morning. Had my heater with me and was planning on staying in the ground blind until 10:00 or so. But...... the heater wouldn’t stay fired up.

I’m not freezing my rear off for a deer in 4 degree weather so I’m back at the house trying to fix this thing for tonight.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    4 degrees at my house when I walked out this morning. Had my heater with me and was planning on staying in the ground blind until 10:00 or so. But...... the heater wouldn’t stay fired up.

I’m not freezing my rear off for a deer in 4 degree weather so I’m back at the house trying to fix this thing for tonight.

if you can't get it working swing by and grab mine, it works fine

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Just saw a group of 12-14 does/fawns moving. Pictures are slightly out of focus. Didn't have time to get the focus just right. I'll be out there this afternoon.
    c87d3ea1eb2cadd1c00710a60f2ac482.jpg
    4cbf6409a05d8466d67949bd82c2e387.jpg
    bfc350dab02d4078b82b7ef8a26380aa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom