• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I have a rifle that's a SOCOM barrel...... Is this a hbar? It sure is thicker than a usual AR barrel and I can definitely feel a little extra weight.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It depends. Certian Models of Colt are described in mfg literature as " Heavy Bbl " and are Legal. Most other Mfg either don't specifically address that, or describe as " Medium - Heavy " , and hence NOT Legal.

So yes here is the absurd situation where identical Bbl is both Legal and illegal depending on the brand name on the lower reciever.

Feb 28, 2013
    I have a rifle that's a SOCOM barrel...... Is this a hbar? It sure is thicker than a usual AR barrel and I can definitely feel a little extra weight.

Same measurement from the barrel nut out to the gas block? Should be fine if it is.

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    Damn sir you really asking on a public forum how to break the law?

Apparently, if I have residency in NC. I buy an AR-15 in 2017, I can move to Maryland and bring this rifle with me without breaking the law. I have been told 7 times today that is the case

Feb 28, 2013
    Apparently, if I have residency in NC. I buy an AR-15 in 2017, I can move to Maryland and bring this rifle with me without breaking the law. I have been told 7 times today that is the case

If it's got a legal barrel onnit, ya sure can.

After all, we here in MD believe wholeheartedly that them pencil barrels ain't gonna do nuffin but make yer gun shoot evil boolits that only target children, kittins, and puppies. :rolleyes:

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    You really have a comprehension problem maybe you should read through the following link

http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/important-maryland-firearm-laws/

You have two choices either you are a Maryland resident and you have to buy an HBAR or you are not a Maryland resident and you had to have possessed the non HBAR AR15 prior to oct 2013. Since you are just buying the gun you have two choices buy an HBAR and you can bring it back or buy what you want and you can't bring it back.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

If you buy a non-HBAR AR in 2017 and bring it here, you are committing a crime. People have said this numerous times in this very thread. A quick search on this website or your engine of choice will yield identical results. You need to read what we are saying clearly.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

And if it's not an HBAR, you've been told the WRONG thing 7 times today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    And if it's not an HBAR, you've been told the WRONG thing 7 times today.

OP...you really REALLY need to focus on this. This is a great site for advice, but no one is going to assist or advise you break the law. Listen.

Are you a SARC?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    next question, if I bring one in........how will they know if its post 2013? It's volunteer registration, I just wouldn't register it. how is any of this enforced? have you guys been in a situation where you had to prove you were rocking a HBAR?

That's like asking "I like to do crack. As long as I don't do it in front of a LEO, how would they know I've got a baggie of it on me ?"

Sure, of course you can do it but ........

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    I guess the guy doesn't grasp that he's posting this on a public forum.

Guys, I believe you all. It's just somehow every gun person I'm talking to in real life is acting bewildered and are absolutely clueless to this. Or have some reason as to why I can bring a non hbar in because I'm military.

The confirmation bias is great, but how In actuality do not many people know this law which can have SEVERE consequences

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Because most people were not fighting to keep our rights in 2013 and didn't care because it didn't affect them.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Lay out the reasons these so called people are giving you and we will all poke holes in there reasons. I can guarantee the people on this board have more knowledge and understanding of the crap that was shoved down our throats in 2013 than any person walking the streets

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Lay out the reasons these so called people are giving you and we will all poke holes in there reasons. I can guarantee the people on this board have more knowledge and understanding of the crap that was shoved down our throats in 2013 than any person walking the streets

THIS X1000. OP, I can guarantee most people here have a better understanding of FSA2013 than
    1) your average gun owner in the state
    2) The Maryland State Police
    3) 75% of people at a gun show
    4) the Maryland General Assembly
    We've studied the law inside and out, provided both written and actual testimony against it (and its consequences), called, emailed, and written our legislators about it.
    Some of the things I've heard at gunshows, on the street, at the range, and even from some ffl's are WRONG when it comes to gun laws in the state.
    Your decision, please choose wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is a potential "Military Thing " ( and not commenting or endorsing at this time, in this thread ). But that would potentially apply IF you were here under orders for temporary duty, and NOT intending to establish Residency in Md.

We understood from the initial post in this thread, you were talking about : 1. After leaving Military and 2. Intending to establish Residency. So that means all the usual laws, regulations, and procedures would apply.

Will you be attending that Gun Show in NC ? The odds of NC based dealer being knowledegable about the fine print of Maryland's Rifle Scheme are very low. ( Unless at the establishment where MDS senior member, and Maryland escapee August1410 works in the New Bern area .

Conversely , if make inquiry with a Maryland based, or Maryland adjacent dealer recomended in this thread, or otherwise an Industry Partner of this Forum ( IP) , they can tell you exactly what is Md legal . And probably be glad to sell one / build one for you, even as an NC resident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom