• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Tennessee's new law starting on Friday may help eliminate "gun free zones" in the state. It would allow a permit holder to file suit if they are injured by a criminal and were disarmed due to a "no guns" sign with the following conditions:

They were authorized to carry a gun at the time of the incident
    They were prohibited from carrying a firearm because of a gun-free sign
    The property owner was not required to be post a gun free zone by state or federal law, but instead posted by choice

http://dennismichaellynch.com/see-how-tennessee-is-discouraging-gun-free-zones/

Link to the bill: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/Bill/SB1736.pdf

I guess this takes care of the situation where it's not illegal to ignore the sign itself, but the shop owner has you kicked out for arrested for "trespassing" if you do carry.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Tennessee is next to the top of my places to move if I can ever leave the communist peoples republic of Maryland! Just wish my mother had not sold the family farm down there!

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Good.

It's the only way to keep liberals out.

Learn from what happened in the east..and the loopy coast..

Constitutional carry.... the courts have forced us to to oppose all lic of any type since they will not apply elevated scrutiny.

MattS

Sep 16, 2009
    In my opinion this is the wrong approach. Since I imagine that this law applies almost entirely to "places" that one voluntary enters, just don't go in if you don't feel safe. There is no need to pass costs on to business owners (even ones I disagree with) because of the actions of others.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Why not? if someone on their own volition causes you to not be able to defend yourself from criminal activity they should be libel as interfering with your constitutional rights. Its civil rights plain and simple.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Same way, a business can avoid potential liability by not volentarily placing their business invitees into unnecessary danger.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In my opinion this is the wrong approach. Since I imagine that this law applies almost entirely to "places" that one voluntary enters, just don't go in if you don't feel safe. There is no need to pass costs on to business owners (even ones I disagree with) because of the actions of others.

If a business creates an unsafe environment, they are routinely held liable for damage or injuries, slipping on a wet floor they didn't advertise, cut by broken glass they didn't clean, why should a practice shown to invite crime, and endanger citizens be any different. In a perfect world a business would have protected property rights, and citizens would have the right to patronize or protest as they saw fit, government would merely enforce consensual contracts and provide courts to settle disputes. However that hasn't been the case in more than a century, with forced accommodations, far reaching anti-discrimination laws, and insurance companies free to force policies on businesses in order to offer mandated liability protection, this law might help tilt the unconstitutional burocratic infringement on property rights slightly in our favor.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    While I agree with the action on one level, I'm concerned because this is the flip side of individuals (holding their own beliefs) don't want to bake a cake for gay weddings or provide certain types of pills. Just think about it!

MattS

Sep 16, 2009
    If a business creates an unsafe environment, they are routinely held liable for damage or injuries, slipping on a wet floor they didn't advertise....

Because they ARE providing notice that it's a gun free zone. You assume the risk by entering. This is like going to a baseball game and suing the stadium of you get hit by a foul ball.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

And yet... if its voluntary how can the state enforce it ..

If self defense is a right...then no guns allowed is no difference than no Irish need apply . .or since the left has no issue with hate crimes they approve of...no gays allowed.

If we tolerate this we are complicit in the view that self defense is not a protected right.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And yet... if its voluntary how can the state enforce it ..

If self defense is a right...then no guns allowed is no difference than no Irish need apply . .or since the left has no issue with hate crimes they approve of...no gays allowed.

If we tolerate this we are complicit in the view that self defense is not a protected right.

Or no blacks or Muslims or any other group allowed. They are all CIVIL RIGHTS!

A similar provision should be included in all anti gun legislation including removing the governments immunity from being sued if they ban legally carried guns.

MattS

Sep 16, 2009
    Or no blacks or Muslims or any other group allowed. They are all CIVIL RIGHTS!

I think you're conflating rights with motivations for denying them.

It's acceptable for private businesses to prevent someone from making a political speech on their property. What they can't do is deny that privilege based on an immutable characteristic like race, religion, or, in some states, sexual orientation.

Failure to respect private property rights is a tactic that the "other" guys use. And a tactic that I refuse to adopt.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Failure to respect private property rights is a tactic that the "other" guys use. And a tactic that I refuse to adopt.

this does not conflict with private property rights. they still have the ability to refuse weapons from the property. but in doing so they are no longer immune from liability for someone being injured as a result.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    this does not conflict with private property rights. they still have the ability to refuse weapons from the property. but in doing so they are no longer immune from liability for someone being injured as a result.

This. Just like homeowners being sued for pool accidents even when permission was NOT given to use the pool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom